Beckett Message Boards
Remember Vance Mueller? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Remember Vance Mueller? (/thread-1614635.html)

Pages: 1 2

Remember Vance Mueller? - kerryandbeth - 06-10-2019

Anybody other than Raiders fans remember running back Vance Mueller? He had to step in and start 2 games when Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen were hurt in 1989.

Anyway, he did not have a miraculous career but he did attend my 300-student high school in Jackson, CA at the same time, and he dated my sister, the head cheerleader.

I was wondering what other NFL players are personally known by Beckett users. Post your story or comments about any fellow students, family members or co-workers that went on to the NFL.

RE: Remember Vance Mueller? - y2hood - 06-10-2019

I'm Facebook friends with Chris Thompson (CB, Jacksonville Jaguars drafted 5th round 2004). We went to the same university. He did a long stint in the CFL before retiring and is now defensive coach for our alma mater.

We've never met in person but we keep making plans to meet up to exchange cards for the ones I have that he's missing and vice versa.

Back when Facebook was restricted to just .edu email addresses I spent the entire 2006 NFL draft friend requesting Saints players as they were announced. Obviously, not Reggie Bush as many people used Facebook to make parody accounts but I did have Roman Harper, Jahri Evans, and Marques Colston. I never messaged them and eventually in time they became "Like pages" instead of profiles. There were a few nights where they were shown as online but I never worked up the nerve.

Also former Saints SS Usama Young accepted me on Myspace and left me a few wall posts way back then, but again no real interaction.

RE: Remember Vance Mueller? - savagenate - 06-11-2019

I had an Great, great, great Uncle who played for the Packers in 1927 named Frank Mayer!

RE: Remember Vance Mueller? - dogger99 - 06-11-2019

Worked with Mo Towns for 16 years. He was an offensive tackle for the Oilers back in the Luv Ya Blue days. Also knew Larry Kelm (played for the Rams) at Texas A&M (we were both in civil engineering). Being an Aggie collector have a lot of his cards. Was curious about him a couple of years ago and wiki'd him. Turns out he fell out of a windmill while hunting deer and died from the fall.

RE: Remember Vance Mueller? - rjcj2017 - 06-11-2019

My dad is Barry Sanders.

He used to play for the Lions.

Just kidding.

Dick Vermeil is from our neck of the woods - I interviewed him for the local paper a couple of times and got his auto on a card following a speech he made a couple of years back.

RE: Remember Vance Mueller? - kerryandbeth - 06-11-2019

(06-11-2019, 03:04 PM)dogger99 Wrote: Worked with Mo Towns for 16 years. He was an offensive tackle for the Oilers back in the Luv Ya Blue days. Also knew Larry Kelm (played for the Rams) at Texas A&M (we were both in civil engineering). Being an Aggie collector have a lot of his cards. Was curious about him a couple of years ago and wiki'd him. Turns out he fell out of a windmill while hunting deer and died from the fall.
Yikes!

(06-11-2019, 04:08 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: My dad is Barry Sanders.

He used to play for the Lions.

Just kidding.
Maybe you guys can come over and have a BBQ with AP and me...

RE: Remember Vance Mueller? - Jquinn83 - 06-11-2019

Napoleon McCallum (played RB for Navy and the Raiders) asked my sister out while he was at the Academy. Later on his was shipmates with my cousin and they traded jerseys. My cousin gave me one of his Navy practice jerseys and I still have it.

RE: Remember Vance Mueller? - kerryandbeth - 06-11-2019

(06-11-2019, 06:46 PM)Jquinn83 Wrote: Napoleon McCallum (played RB for Navy and the Raiders) asked my sister out while he was at the Academy. Later on his was shipmates with my cousin and they traded jerseys. My cousin gave me one of his Navy practice jerseys and I still have it.
Very cool.

RE: Remember Vance Mueller? - foleylion08 - 06-12-2019

I grew up with Julio Jones, does that count? We were never "friends" per se, but I had a ton of classes with him growing up and had interactions from time to time. Really soft-spoken and actually a pretty funny guy.

Also, obviously, grew up with Robert Lester who went to Foley and Alabama and played a short stint for the Panthers. He was one of the most down to earth and hilarious guys I knew. Same situation, we were never really close, but any time I saw him after our high school days, like at Alabama games, or when he played in the Senior Bowl, he'd come over and speak. Still see him around town from time to time.

DJ Fluker, lineman for the Seahawks was a year behind us, transferred in after Hurricane Katrina. And you wanna talk about a beast roaming the halls of a high school, that was him. One of the biggest humans I had seen in person up to that point, and he was only 16!

RE: Remember Vance Mueller? - kerryandbeth - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 08:57 AM)foleylion08 Wrote: I grew up with Julio Jones, does that count?
Yes, it does! So far you win for the biggest name in the NFL.