Beckett Message Boards
Without starting rage posts... - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Without starting rage posts... (/thread-1612584.html)

Pages: 1 2

Without starting rage posts... - savagenate - 10-10-2018

Does anyone else collect guys who's personal lives match with your set of morals and or beliefs? Like you see this one really "good" guy, and you just feel like you have to have a few of his cards? Or is it just me? I guess I see it as a way of supporting the guys I could point my future kids to, and say this man is worthy of being looked up to. Or am I just justifying more collecting? lol.

RE: Without starting rage posts... - rjcj2017 - 10-10-2018

Yep, 100 percent!

There are certain players that no matter how good they are or how valuable their stuff is, I sell or trade all of their stuff because I either can't stand them personally, or they are an actual criminal or just plain bad human being.

Vice versa, too ... even though I purged about 95 percent of my collection over the summer, for example I held onto a few Tim Tebow cards and just about all of my Matt Barkley collection.

(By the way, this has nothing to do with their faith.)

It was more about rooting for good human beings than what they've actually accomplished in the NFL.

RE: Without starting rage posts... - jwlawrence06@gmail.co - 10-10-2018

I wouldn't collect someone that I don't like as a person, matter of fact I just ripped up and threw away a Ray Rice card that I pulled in a box of 2013 Crown Royale. I wouldn't even want to trade it to someone else.

RE: Without starting rage posts... - jplarson - 10-10-2018

Since I'm a set builder, I'll go out and nab a guy even if he isn't a paragon of virtue. Now if there's guys I personally don't care for, I'm much more likely to trade their cards away. But whether they are virtuous or not, I do believe people should be given chances for redemption as anyone can fall. I try very hard not to be judge-y, though I have a strong inclination to do so.

RE: Without starting rage posts... - kerryandbeth - 10-10-2018

Good question! Since I only collect Vikings on the football side, I will have to respond about baseball cards...sorry.

I have selected some PC guys that have shown the highest professionalism and kept out of trouble, and it is even better if they end up in the HOF or achieve other milestones.

I admit I stay away from those that change teams every couple of years while chasing the highest bidder, which may or may not have anything to do with moral character. And, if someone does PEDs or is arrested for spousal abuse, that player comes off my PC list.

The only loose cannon I collect, and not sure why, is Yasiel Puig. There is something that I cannot point my finger at that draws me in.

RE: Without starting rage posts... - savagenate - 10-11-2018

Thanks for the posts! Sounds like we are mostly all the same so far. I definitely get rid of cards of guys I can't stand, whether professionally or because of their personal lives. On the other hand, I believe in second chances as well, thus I'm fine with Ray Lewis, as he has become a major force in his community. Hearing his speech about while he was young really hit me too. Theres a few guys I want to add cards for...Tebow, Ben Watson, Matt Birk (suffered from Lyme Disease like I do), and Phillip Rivers. I'm sure the list will grow as I learn more about other players. A Walter Payton Man of the Year award collection might be cool to do!

RE: Without starting rage posts... - hempick - 10-11-2018

Absolutely. For me it isn't so much that I collect specific players that align with my beliefs, but rather that I refuse to collect certain players that go against them. Though, as jplarson pointed out, sometimes when I am building a set I am forced to seek out a card of a player that goes against my beliefs.

RE: Without starting rage posts... - savagenate - 10-12-2018

Yeah, set building requires some give and take! I think it's an under appreciated part of collecting, that people collect a certain player due to something they do, whether its a belief, morals, work in the community, whatever it is that draws you to a certain player. Most posts I see are about player styles, the way this guy runs, the arm on this quarterback, the knock out hits by this defender, etc. Nothing at all wrong with collecting those, but it occurred to me that theres another side to the market, and it's cool to see I'm not the only one!

RE: Without starting rage posts... - jtulliakat0628 - 10-13-2018

You do not have to rationalize that way at all like my friend because you are 100% correct.

I met Bo Jackson three years ago and when I asked him for advice he told me

"Work hard and never stop."

The advice changed my life. I would want my own son to emmulate bo's mindset and actions throughout his life.

RE: Without starting rage posts... - jaykayzee - 10-14-2018

This conversation reminded me of an experience I had once at a card show. Long story short, I had a guy come over to me and buy a real oddball Arian Foster Auto I had for sale saying "I need his auto, just because he's a declared atheist!"