Beckett Message Boards
I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... (/thread-1611963.html)

Pages: 1 2

I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - DrMitchJ - 07-30-2018

With the last day of the trade deadline approaching, I thought I was almost out of the woods .... I've been following / collecting Yankee prospect Tyler Austin since 2013 and have amassed a pretty big PC of him. Every trade deal over the past several years, dreading the news and averting disaster at every turn for so long, but today he was traded to the Twins for Lance Lynn. Not happy with losing Austin, but not really happy who we got in exchange either. The only good thing for Tyler, he might get some playing time in the new organization. Good luck Twins, I think you got the better part of that deal.

RE: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - kerryandbeth - 07-30-2018

This is news to me! I had softball playoffs tonight so this post is the first I heard of it. I know nothing about Austin but I am not a fan of Lance at all.

RE: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - shivelycore - 07-30-2018

I guess I wont sell that rookie auto of Austin yet.

RE: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - DrMitchJ - 07-31-2018

(07-30-2018, 10:55 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: This is news to me! I had softball playoffs tonight so this post is the first I heard of it. I know nothing about Austin but I am not a fan of Lance at all.

I was never too impressed with Lynn, but as my Yankee buddy wrote to me "Trust Cashman" so we'll see.
Tyler is a great 1st baseman that was stuck behind Greg Bird in the organization so as a back up, he must be frustrated and he was spending time in the minors to get playing time. When The Yanks picked up 1st baseman Voit from the Cards i figured Tyler was on the trade block. Along with Austin your twins are also getting 19 year old, Venezuelan pitcher Luis Rijo ... I don't know much about him. Sorry.
(07-30-2018, 11:15 PM)shivelycore Wrote: I guess I wont sell that rookie auto of Austin yet.

Probably a good thing to keep. I'm annoyed that I just dropped $50 on a 1/1 inception auto of his last week on Prime day. I could have probably offered $40 now that he's not in the Bronx. Sad I'll be holding onto my collection and see if he pans out like I had always thought he would. Like I mentioned earlier, I think you got the better part of that trade.

RE: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - hempick - 07-31-2018

I agree! I was so bummed when I found out that Austin was traded! I like how he played this year when Bird was out. (I think he is better than Bird, actually.)

I pulled a /25 Auto patch of him out of Fire last year, too. =\

As for Cashman, I don't know why so many people love him so much. He's not that great. He's won ONE World Series in the last 18 years and Gene Michael was mostly responsible for the WS wins in the late 90s. Cashman is ridiculously overrated and should have been canned years ago. For every good move he makes, he has five or six blunders.

RE: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - rjcj2017 - 07-31-2018

This is neither here nor there, but last year I pulled an Austin auto out of Gypsy Queen and almost passed out at first because I thought it was Judge.

RE: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - waynetalger - 07-31-2018

Just wait I think he will return to the Darn Yanks again.
I also like Tyler Austin and did you notice 95% of his cards went up in BV.

RE: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - kerryandbeth - 07-31-2018

I have grown weary of waiting for some Twin to bring some excitement to the plate when bases are loaded. I think most teams have 'that guy' that the other team fears, but more often than not my team does not come through with that big time hit. Vargas, Park, Morrison, Sano, Kepler...they have all disappointed the front office.

I am not saying that Tyler Austin will be that guy, either, but at least it is new blood to put the hopes on.

RE: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - shivelycore - 07-31-2018

Sano was supposed to be that guy, Vargas just accidentally had that potential and they squandered it. There's a development issue with the Twins as far as a big clutch power hitter goes. There's gotta be a change in the system to adjust this.

RE: I thought I was almost out of the woods .... - mmahoney - 08-02-2018

(07-31-2018, 11:58 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I have grown weary of waiting for some Twin to bring some excitement to the plate when bases are loaded. I think most teams have 'that guy' that the other team fears, but more often than not my team does not come through with that big time hit. Vargas, Park, Morrison, Sano, Kepler...they have all disappointed the front office.

I am not saying that Tyler Austin will be that guy, either, but at least it is new blood to put the hopes on.

Well said. Another lost year.