Beckett Message Boards
When to put in the Commons pile? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: When to put in the Commons pile? (/thread-1607316.html)

When to put in the Commons pile? - tigerbalm2000 - 04-19-2017

Just curious for those who catalog their cards...what's the minimum card value that you require before you sleeve and store the card?

Personally I throw everything under $2 into the commons pile.

RE: When to put in the Commons pile? - jplarson - 04-19-2017

Personally I'll penny sleeve anything that would be priced separately in Beckett, so higher than an unlisted star as well as all rookie cards (ya never know!). Semi-rigid cases for anything $5 or more. Cards that are $50 or more are up for grading consideration.

RE: When to put in the Commons pile? - djohn - 04-19-2017

I rarely put cards in sleeves unless I am pulling them to put up for trade or sale. The biggest exception is for cards in my PC. I try to keep each in a penny sleeve and more expensive ones in top loaders, but it doesn't always happen.

RE: When to put in the Commons pile? - savagenate - 04-20-2017

Everything I get that I'm keeping goes in a sleeve, and then into a top loader or binder. If it's just a common card no one is likely to want, I toss it in a box to donate or sell off as a cheap lot.

RE: When to put in the Commons pile? - sharkbyte - 04-21-2017

$1 to sleeve, $4 to top load.

I separate the rest by more than 7-years, or less. Donate the 'more than', estimating book at around $.15 @ - as you can take full value if you get that value from an industry-accepted price guide.

Less than 7-years, at some point down the road I will flip through again, look for any late bloomers, and then donate those; but they will price out at about $.50-.60 @ with the newer card pricing. To be safe, in case of an audit, I may have to catalog these commons before I donate them, to prove the claimed value.

Also watch that $5k limit on donations. Over $5k you have to get an IRS form signed by the person who accepted your donation. Had to forfeit a couple boxes worth of cards to get back under the $5k threshold.

RE: When to put in the Commons pile? - tigerbalm2000 - 04-21-2017

(04-21-2017, 12:29 PM)sharkbyte Wrote: $1 to sleeve, $4 to top load.

I separate the rest by more than 7-years, or less. Donate the 'more than', estimating book at around $.15 @ - as you can take full value if you get that value from an industry-accepted price guide.

Less than 7-years, at some point down the road I will flip through again, look for any late bloomers, and then donate those; but they will price out at about $.50-.60 @ with the newer card pricing. To be safe, in case of an audit, I may have to catalog these commons before I donate them, to prove the claimed value.

Also watch that $5k limit on donations. Over $5k you have to get an IRS form signed by the person who accepted your donation. Had to forfeit a couple boxes worth of cards to get back under the $5k threshold.

Thanks for the tax tips. I actually claimed my first card donations this year and was curious at what point the feds would start putting up red flags.

RE: When to put in the Commons pile? - jumper4d8 - 04-21-2017

I used to go by anything that was worth over $5 would go in to a binder and anything less would go in to a 5,000-ct box. I don't pick up many packs or boxes any more so that rule doesn't matter for me as much any more.