Beckett Message Boards
trading is dead? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: trading is dead? (/thread-1602871.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

trading is dead? - jfrench91 - 07-09-2016

Everyone says " trading is dead" I agree its SLOW but not dead. Do you know why it seems like that? People only trade for what they NEED. " but John!.. isn't that what were supposed to trade for??" I'm GLAD you asked! There's a difference between trading for what you NEED and trading for what you WANT. Why cant you just trade to trade?Trade for something you could USE instead.. maybe that "use" can turn into a NEED later on! Why cant you just trade to help another trader out with what they might want more than you do? I get a kick out of people who say " I have all these cards piled up that I don't want..".. well a frign light bulb should go off there BECAUSE YOU DONT TRADE JUST TO TRADE. I've dealt with many many people over the years.. I've accepted some, I've declined some and vice versa, sometimes there's flat out jack squat you could "use" in a trade. Why not try? you mean to tell me you look through THOUSANDS of cards and you cant find ONE or TWO things to at least help the other person out? give me a break. Make the hobby fun again , quit being so picky and TRADE. Happy trading and have a good day.

P.S. I just traded several cards for 2 baseball card rookies.. BASEBALL.. I don't really COLLECT baseball, but I made a trade to help and believe it or not those 2 "baseball cards I didn't want" were traded and I got something I NEEDED instead.. trading is a process.

RE: trading is dead? - gjpoll1 - 07-09-2016

I'll second that, well said John.

RE: trading is dead? - savagenate - 07-09-2016

Agreed

RE: trading is dead? - pudge27t - 07-09-2016

Agreed! On that note, i'ma see whatcha got! :p

RE: trading is dead? - djohn - 07-10-2016

Trading is far from dead, but I disagree somewhat in trading just to trade. First off trading isn't completely free, as there is the cost of shipping to consider. So it can be hard to do some trades when the value of the cards is less than the cost to ship them. Also, I have gotten countless trade offers on a $50 HOF autograph card I have, and when I look at the other person's ORG the best card they have is a $5-$10 jersey card of a scrub. I absolutely don't mind trading to help someone with set needs, as I am also looking for plenty of set needs. However I don't expect to give or get HOF autos when it comes to trading for basic cards or set needs.
All that being said, I have actually seen a large uptick in trading recently, partially due to myself sending out some offers but also an increase in the number of open offers I have gotten too. So I definitely don't think trading is anywhere near dead on here.

RE: trading is dead? - candidbronco - 07-10-2016

I concur, well said.

RE: trading is dead? - jonathani - 07-10-2016

I like what you say, but it seems like unless there is an autograph on the card, a jersey inside it, and there are only 10 printed it can be hard to work a deal for a few people. All this, even though there are hundreds of these cards printed each year for multiple players in sets of different names. Some players have more SP cards listed than base now. It should make people think.

RE: trading is dead? - kerryandbeth - 07-10-2016

The trend I see developing with trading and what disturbs me most is collectors that are now ignoring base and low-end inserts and going after the HOFers autos, patches, and #/10 cards. Not to say that it is stupid or wrong, but it sure puts a damper on opening packs these days as collectors like me know up front that copies of cards will most likely sit in a box collecting dust rather than helping another trader complete a set.
Trading should be part of the hobby, whether it be to finish off a set, supercollect a certain player, or find that elusive card. If less are willing to make a trade without an auto, patch or #/10 card included, than the hobby is in trouble.

RE: trading is dead? - jfrench91 - 07-11-2016

(07-10-2016, 10:12 AM)djohn Wrote: Trading is far from dead, but I disagree somewhat in trading just to trade. First off trading isn't completely free, as there is the cost of shipping to consider. So it can be hard to do some trades when the value of the cards is less than the cost to ship them. Also, I have gotten countless trade offers on a $50 HOF autograph card I have, and when I look at the other person's ORG the best card they have is a $5-$10 jersey card of a scrub. I absolutely don't mind trading to help someone with set needs, as I am also looking for plenty of set needs. However I don't expect to give or get HOF autos when it comes to trading for basic cards or set needs.
All that being said, I have actually seen a large uptick in trading recently, partially due to myself sending out some offers but also an increase in the number of open offers I have gotten too. So I definitely don't think trading is anywhere near dead on here.

well yeah.. nobody should expect to get a $50 card for a bunch of randoms. Id decline instantly, and have before. Im not one to say no to trading a $50 auto card for maybe a comparable MEM card or in that matter 2 MEM cards that will equal in value.. it also depends on the auto card at stake. There are MANY cards in my org id rather trade card for card for BUT there are also ones id trade down or multiples for and they are higher valued cards. Trading just to trade.. the last thing I EVER consider is the cost of shipping.. if that is on your consideration list while trading.. my friend you need a different hobby.

RE: trading is dead? - jonathani - 07-11-2016

(07-11-2016, 06:35 AM)jfrench91 Wrote: well yeah.. nobody should expect to get a $50 card for a bunch of randoms. Id decline instantly, and have before. Im not one to say no to trading a $50 auto card for maybe a comparable MEM card or in that matter 2 MEM cards that will equal in value.. it also depends on the auto card at stake. There are MANY cards in my org id rather trade card for card for BUT there are also ones id trade down or multiples for and they are higher valued cards. Trading just to trade.. the last thing I EVER consider is the cost of shipping.. if that is on your consideration list while trading.. my friend you need a different hobby.

I've traded up, down, and sideways. If I have a $50 card that I don't want but someone else does, and that person offers me $50-$60 worth in 10-20 cards I like, I certainly consider it if the person's an established trader with good ratings.