Beckett Message Boards
need some advice - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: need some advice (/thread-1580216.html)

Pages: 1 2

need some advice - prymetyme1035 - 01-17-2016

so i started to collect Braves prospect Austin Riley but i have notice that his cards are going for way more than i would like to spend on an 18 year old kid who could be a bust. I have a decent amount of his cards should i hold pat or should i sell since they are selling for pretty good prices now

RE: need some advice - madamson - 01-17-2016

If it were me I'd keep one or two nice ones and dump the rest. It's a gamble either way.

RE: need some advice - prymetyme1035 - 01-17-2016

(01-17-2016, 05:01 PM)madamson Wrote: If it were me I'd keep one or two nice ones and dump the rest. It's a gamble either way.

Thanks for the advice

RE: need some advice - Hofcollector - 01-17-2016

Dump them and re-invest in a proven MLB superstar. Yes the cards will be expensive but they've already passed the prospect, rc, and young star with potential plateaus. You'd be getting in on a player with room to grow (price wise) and you don't have to worry about your collection taking a massive hit. If Riley ends up being someone you'd like to pursue later down the line, you'll have the fire power to trade or sell.

RE: need some advice - prymetyme1035 - 01-17-2016

(01-17-2016, 05:36 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Dump them and re-invest in a proven MLB superstar. Yes the cards will be expensive but they've already passed the prospect, rc, and young star with potential plateaus. You'd be getting in on a player with room to grow (price wise) and you don't have to worry about your collection taking a massive hit. If Riley ends up being someone you'd like to pursue later down the line, you'll have the fire power to trade or sell.

Thats some really good advice thank you

RE: need some advice - friedmana27 - 01-17-2016

iv noticed that seldom does a highly desired prospect increase in value after their first few years. Unless this kid is a harper or a trout id dump. i also agree w madamson.

RE: need some advice - Hofcollector - 01-17-2016

(01-17-2016, 05:44 PM)prymetyme1035 Wrote: Thats some really good advice thank you

Not a problem. Good luck with whatever you decide.

RE: need some advice - uvaspina - 01-19-2016

(01-17-2016, 04:59 PM)prymetyme1035 Wrote: so i started to collect Braves prospect Austin Riley but i have notice that his cards are going for way more than i would like to spend on an 18 year old kid who could be a bust. I have a decent amount of his cards should i hold pat or should i sell since they are selling for pretty good prices now

If you're thinking of stopping collecting him, I'd probably sell so that you can shift your focus to other pursuits. That said, I'm not familiar with this prospect, so I don't have a personal opinion of his future potential.

RE: need some advice - ktkline7 - 01-19-2016

As a prospector myself, I would sell now and keep one or two as someone else suggested earlier. He is selling well. You could sell two base auto's and get a nice Chrome Auto of a semi-star and wait for the demand to drop. I don't know how long you've been collecting but after a product releases prices are always higher until the market stabilizes. If he comes out and slumps a little next year his prices will plummet because he's not exactly a can't miss stud. His production to date, though a small sample size, has been pretty dang good though. That, in combination with him coming from a new product, are the reason he's selling so well right now in my opinion...

I'm a pretty safe collector though. But that's just me..

RE: need some advice - jeremy7269 - 01-20-2016

I agree with the rest of the group. Keep one and sell the rest. Grab you a Braves a HOF auto!

Its a good problem to have!