Beckett Message Boards
NL ROY? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: NL ROY? (/thread-1577173.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

NL ROY? - schootay - 08-25-2015

So I know this isn't about baseball cards.. But can anyone tell me how Matt Duffy can be considered NL ROY over Kris Bryant right now? They basically have the same amount of games played and at bats.. Duffy does have a lot better avg. at .308 compared to Bryants .262..
but Bryant has a higher OBP, more HR's by 10, more RBI's by 16, more runs scored by 13, more walks by 43, more stolen bases by 6, and the Cubs have a 6.5 game lead for a playoff spot over the Giants (and Bryant is a VERY big part of that lead). I guess it seems pretty obvious to me that Bryant is more deserving of the award.. They're both having excellent rookie seasons and it's going to be fun to watch what happens from here on out!

RE: NL ROY? - Hofcollector - 08-25-2015

Any time you have a guy that hasn't met expectations vs. a guy who's over achieved, your going to open the door for this type of debate. Bryant being so highly regarded before he ever played in the MLB left him nowhere to go but down in most people's minds. A batting average hanging around. 240 for a month in the middle of the season won't help either.

RE: NL ROY? - bonds20001 - 08-25-2015

Duffy and Bryant are not alone
Do not forget Kang..having a good year and very important to team
Grichuk has been very impressive
Syndergaard is to be considered as well...helping Mets a lot
Pederson is out of the running?? He will still have considerations...but probably did himself in the last 100 ABs..but still has more HRs than any rookie.

Interesting field of contenders..Duffy being the one no one expected or heard of...nice to see him doing so well...

RE: NL ROY? - redsoxfan1534 - 08-25-2015

Matt Duffy is a no-doubter for me

RE: NL ROY? - alfredoleal2001 - 08-25-2015

maybe correa as well???

RE: NL ROY? - ryno8669 - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 10:03 AM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: maybe correa as well???

Correa is in the AL, so different ROY race, which is pretty much his to lose at this point. Dude has been ridiculous since he got called up.

I think it is also Bryant's to lose at this point. He has come through in the clutch so many times this year and he IS living up to all of the hype every since he got drafted, IMO. And, yes, I am also somewhat biased since I am a Cubs fan haha.

RE: NL ROY? - rpeterson369 - 08-25-2015

I agree...I think it's no doubt Bryant in the NL. Sure the expectations were set ridiculously high, but he has done about as good as can be expected realistically his rookie season.

RE: NL ROY? - alfredoleal2001 - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 10:46 AM)ryno8669 Wrote: Correa is in the AL, so different ROY race, which is pretty much his to lose at this point. Dude has been ridiculous since he got called up.

I think it is also Bryant's to lose at this point. He has come through in the clutch so many times this year and he IS living up to all of the hype every since he got drafted, IMO. And, yes, I am also somewhat biased since I am a Cubs fan haha.

WOW for one second i instantly associated the astros to the national league!!!! my bad

RE: NL ROY? - rad_1205 - 08-25-2015

It's got to be Bryant sure he had a minor slump but he has exploded over the last 2 weeks.

RE: NL ROY? - roger rabbit - 08-25-2015

It's interesting to look at the past winners and see how rarely both winners go on to become superstars. Last year's winners are on track (Abreu and DeGrom, though both guys are a bit older) and 2012 was a pretty good year (Trout and Harper), but then you have to go back to 2007 (Pedroia and Braun) to find the last time at least one ROY hasn't taken a big drop off after winning the award. I imagine Correa and Bryant would be closer to Trout and Harper than Andrew Bailey and Chris Coghlan...