Beckett Message Boards
Ever lose respect for your PC player? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Ever lose respect for your PC player? (/thread-1577168.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Ever lose respect for your PC player? - woogie23 - 08-24-2015

So I read up a little bit on what happened to Sandberg. Quitting mid-season is not cool. Then hearing what players were saying about him I've decided it's time to part ways and find someone else. Enter Anthony Rizzo.

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player? - SF_Giants_2014 - 08-24-2015

I had issues with Bonds, but I still PC him. I just wished he admitted it and moved on.

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player? - yankees_pride - 08-25-2015

Nope DEREK JETER was and is what a baseball player should be.

Now I have pc'd someone and they got traded and I lost interest in them and then find it hard to move their cards.

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player? - jonathani - 08-25-2015

After Sandberg snubbed my 6-year-old daughter for an autograph and took her sharpie to sign some other kids' autographs before saying, "Wait here. I'll be right back," before he went and sat were we could see him in the dugout of the minor league team he was managing (He was done signing for the day. This was before h way in the HOF.), I traded or gave away most of my collection of his cards. I did keep the cap from the sharpie he stole because my daughter help onto it, but I had a hard time answering my daughter when she asked me, "Daddy, he played for the Cubs. Why did he lie to me and take my marker?" (I know this could lead to lots of jokes, but I hope you get the point.) She did make me a card at home later and pretended to sign it. She asked me for a penny sleeve and top loader later so she could display it. I have it now. She gave it to me when she was a little older - along with lots of other minor league signatures she collected over the years. I keep her creation in a drawer with other samples of her art over the years. (Any other Parents out there with a similar drawer?) We did manage to have fun that day seeing him and watching the game. It's hard not to like minor league ball, but it's easy to get turned-off by an ego - even after decades of allegiance, unfortunately.

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player? - nolan5000 - 08-25-2015

Nope, been PC'ing "The Ryan Express" since the Summer of 1990. That's when I started collecting baseball cards.

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player? - alfredoleal2001 - 08-25-2015

Never happened to me but in the past few years im sure many collectors have lost respect for their pc players, ex: bonds, arod, mcgwire and so on...........
(08-24-2015, 11:11 PM)woogie23 Wrote: So I read up a little bit on what happened to Sandberg. Quitting mid-season is not cool. Then hearing what players were saying about him I've decided it's time to part ways and find someone else. Enter Anthony Rizzo.

Whats the deal with sandberg?? must have missed it

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player? - woogie23 - 08-25-2015

(08-24-2015, 11:50 PM)SF_Giants_2014 Wrote: I had issues with Bonds, but I still PC him. I just wished he admitted it and moved on.

I agree, Arod I feel screwed up, but in the end, I really think he did the right thing.
(08-25-2015, 08:22 AM)jonathani Wrote: After Sandberg snubbed my 6-year-old daughter for an autograph and took her sharpie to sign some other kids' autographs before saying, "Wait here. I'll be right back," before he went and sat were we could see him in the dugout of the minor league team he was managing (He was done signing for the day. This was before h way in the HOF.), I traded or gave away most of my collection of his cards. I did keep the cap from the sharpie he stole because my daughter help onto it, but I had a hard time answering my daughter when she asked me, "Daddy, he played for the Cubs. Why did he lie to me and take my marker?" (I know this could lead to lots of jokes, but I hope you get the point.) She did make me a card at home later and pretended to sign it. She asked me for a penny sleeve and top loader later so she could display it. I have it now. She gave it to me when she was a little older - along with lots of other minor league signatures she collected over the years. I keep her creation in a drawer with other samples of her art over the years. (Any other Parents out there with a similar drawer?) We did manage to have fun that day seeing him and watching the game. It's hard not to like minor league ball, but it's easy to get turned-off by an ego - even after decades of allegiance, unfortunately.

WOW! That is terrible. My wife and I definitely have our kids' drawer full of art still. They are in their 20's now. haha
(08-25-2015, 08:31 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Nope, been PC'ing "The Ryan Express" since the Summer of 1990. That's when I started collecting baseball cards.

That's about when I started with Sandberg. I think it was Christmas of '89 when my oldest brother got me a 83 Topps and a sketch poster of the 1989 Cubs. Not getting rid of those. heh
(08-25-2015, 08:50 AM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Never happened to me but in the past few years im sure many collectors have lost respect for their pc players, ex: bonds, arod, mcgwire and so on...........

Whats the deal with sandberg?? must have missed it

It's not terribly bad. But it's enough for me. Walking out on a club mid-season, not having respect from his players, not having control over his team. When you see news headlines of "Ryne Sandberg quit the Phillies because players are mean" you just got to shake your head.

Like I said it's not terribly bad, but time for me to switch it up a bit.

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player? - dspainjr - 08-25-2015

Yeah that is a bummer about Sandberg. I PC Helton and Blackmon and I have not lost respect for either, but I did come close. When Helton got a DUI while driving to the store to get lottery tickets...everyone makes mistakes.

Recently I met Charlie after a game in STL and while signing he told someone "if you want me to sign, please remove the cap on the marker"...he did get an attitude but I can understand.

(08-24-2015, 11:11 PM)woogie23 Wrote: So I read up a little bit on what happened to Sandberg. Quitting mid-season is not cool. Then hearing what players were saying about him I've decided it's time to part ways and find someone else. Enter Anthony Rizzo.

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player? - gator1221 - 08-25-2015

Yes .... I can see your point on Sandberg he was a manager in the southern league and we had similar experiences with him not a very nice guy. I can say from experience is going to minor-league baseball games in the Southern League I get to see some of the character of future major leaguers ... Some of the good ones of been David Price, Kris Bryant and Giancarlo Stanton but I'm sure someone has had good/bad experiences a time or two with these three but we had nothing but great . Sandberg and Javier Baez take the cake on rude individuals but overall my Little girl and I have a great experiences most recently with Sano and Byron Buxton they are two great kids...... And yes we have the art collection as well ...lol

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player? - zeprock - 08-25-2015

Yes, but only because I PC so many different players. For every Bonds, ARod, Clemens, Ramirez and McGwire that I have lost respect for there has been a Griffey, Pujols, Maddux, Ichiro and Jeter who I continue to respect.