Beckett Message Boards
First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? (/thread-1572685.html)

Pages: 1 2

First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - rynocollector - 03-29-2015

My 2nd child (1st son) is due July 3rd. I want to start him a collection, but trying to decide what to do. I'm a big Cubs fan and have been trying to collect every Topps base Cubs card made for me. Also been slowly trying to do Topps base sets from every year since i was born. So should I do Topps sets for him as well? That's kinda "vanilla" so I am just looking for more ideas.
Thanks for the help!

RE: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - Hofcollector - 03-29-2015

What about higher end base sets? Sets like Tribute are usually limited to 100 cards or less and are absolutely beautiful. You get a nice mix of hof'ers, current stars and usually a few promising rc's. Plus, the sets have a real value nice when completed. They are fun to piece together because they are a little tougher to come by.

RE: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - wordsense - 03-29-2015

Why not collect Kris Bryant for him? They'll be experiencing the show and earth, respectively, for the first time together. Your son will be growing up in the Kris Bryant Era. You don't want him to miss out on that from a card collecting aspect, because by the time he's old enough to collect for himself, he'll have missed out on all the early career Bryant goodies. I know, I know, pricey.

Still. Worth it.

Or someone that, like your son, is just getting started.

RE: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - kelbysdaddy - 03-29-2015

Diapers, lots of diapers.

RE: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - cspen - 03-29-2015

congrats. July 3 is the perfect birthday! It's mine as well!! Start buying Topps factory sets from the year he is born and buy one every year from now on. We started buying them for our son when he was born in 1994 so we have one from 1994-2014.

RE: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - redsoxfan1534 - 03-29-2015

Just thought this up: After you find a name, find a prospect with that name, and get his stuff on the cheap. If he pans out, that's great luck. If he doesn't, your son will have a very affordable super-colletion!

RE: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - ne12bc12 - 03-29-2015

I like the idea of a Topps set every year. Make it easy and just get a factory set. You could also go for a Tribute set like Matt suggested earlier. Depends on how much money you want to spend.

RE: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - ryanmo5 - 03-29-2015

(03-29-2015, 03:22 PM)kelbysdaddy Wrote: Diapers, lots of diapers.

I second this lol. A fun set for kids might be triple play for his earlier years and their very inexpensive.

RE: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - cspen - 03-29-2015

If he is truly born on July 3, I really want to know. lol

RE: First son due July 3rd...what should I collect for him? - paulkellyjr - 03-30-2015

Congrads. I would suggest HOF Autos and/or complete Topps base Factory sets.