Beckett Message Boards
Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together (/thread-1569264.html)

Pages: 1 2

Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - mjmj1966 - 01-10-2015

Heading to the LCS tomorrow to get some boxes to start some sets. The catcher project I was going to do when I started collecting again wasn't for me so I figured I'd go back to my collecting roots and do sets. I want to be prepared on what I'm doing but can't decide. I've already done Bowman and have Prizm started. Not interested in Topps, A&G or Gypsy Queen. I'm thinking Finest for sure but can't decide on Platinum, Perennial Draft, or Bowman Draft. Want to pick 2 of those 3. I'm on the fence with Stadium Club. I've seen more bad than good with those. I'm looking for fun stuff with great inserts that I can do without hurting the wallet. Looking to spend no more than $100 box. Suggestions???

RE: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - madamson - 01-10-2015

(01-10-2015, 07:27 PM)mjmj1966 Wrote: Heading to the LCS tomorrow to get some boxes to start some sets. The catcher project I was going to do when I started collecting again wasn't for me so I figured I'd go back to my collecting roots and do sets. I want to be prepared on what I'm doing but can't decide. I've already done Bowman and have Prizm started. Not interested in Topps, A&G or Gypsy Queen. I'm thinking Finest for sure but can't decide on Platinum, Perennial Draft, or Bowman Draft. Want to pick 2 of those 3. I'm on the fence with Stadium Club. I've seen more bad than good with those. I'm looking for fun stuff with great inserts that I can do without hurting the wallet. Looking to spend no more than $100 box. Suggestions???

You can't go wrong with Platinum or Stadium Club IMO. I love both designs and they aren't too terrible to complete. Stadium Club surprised me with the lackluster interest after the first week it was out with prices dipping to around $50-60/hobby box. Either way...GOOD LUCK!

RE: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - joserobles - 01-10-2015

I've been doing Heritage since 2009 and love the sets. I buy 2 boxes and a couple blasters here and there and trade for the rest.
good luck

RE: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - mjmj1966 - 01-10-2015

(01-10-2015, 08:40 PM)joserobles Wrote: I've been doing Heritage since 2009 and love the sets. I buy 2 boxes and a couple blasters here and there and trade for the rest.
good luck

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done Heritage up till this year and kind of got bored with it. Looking for something that has nice looking inserts and not a lot of SP's.

RE: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - ryno8669 - 01-10-2015

I really liked Bowman Platinum this year. The inserts were better than previous years IMO, and the Retail hits have been really good whenever I was in Target and got the urge to open some cheap packs. Hobby boxes always did well for me. If you are looking to complete the base set, I have quite a bit if you want to check me for what I have as well as inserts.

RE: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - ne12bc12 - 01-10-2015

Not quite sure what to tell you to go for but I would 110% say stay away from Stadium Club. A lot of collectors here have opened Platinum so you would definitely have help. Let me know if you need any help on the Finest, I opened two cases so I have plenty left over.

RE: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - petillo64 - 01-10-2015

I have a CRAPTON of prizm and platinum. Not much is marked FT but if you let me know what you need I'll do my best to help.

Those were the top two fun factor breaks in my opinion. Inserts were awesome in both, and a chance to hit some nice autos

RE: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - mjmj1966 - 01-10-2015

Looks like I'm definitely going with Platinum, Finest, Prizm, and I need one more. Anyone open Prizm Perennial Draft? Its between that and Bowman Draft which really didn't look that great this year and I think I'm pretty content with the Bowman I already completed. Thinking if i do 5 sets a year it should keep me pretty busy. Any other suggestions appreciated.

RE: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - petillo64 - 01-11-2015

Didn't like prizm draft at all, even though I loved regular prizm... Definitely wouldn't recommend. Weird checklist and mix of players, and missing some key names. I'd go bowman draft if I had to choose one of those too, and I really don't like it lol.

RE: Looking to put a few 2014 sets together - ne12bc12 - 01-11-2015

I know you said not interested in Topps but how about Topps Chrome. I do the set every year so needless to say I like it. Good set that wont kill the bank and chances of pulling some terrific autographs. If you do decide on this one, once again I should be able to help significantly and a lot of other members open this stuff that should be able to help also.