Beckett Message Boards
Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay (/thread-1566838.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - cmcjr99 - 10-31-2014

(10-30-2014, 04:11 PM)sonic311 Wrote: I Immediately paid for it and sent the seller a message asking him to please package card properly and that if need be I'd pay extra to ensure that it was packaged/shipped securely.

this was a mistake....you bid and won ,then paid....

as soon as you wrote the seller offering to pay MORE , it caught his attention...had you simply paid and waited , he likely would have never even noticed and you would have had the card in hand shortly.....

if (and this is a big if) he fails to deliver the card and you open a case , the seller will get a default...ebay is not playing anymore...defaults are very easy to pick up and very hard to live with...it doesn't take many to drop a seller's status from top rated nor does it take many more to drop him to below standard....the first drop would take away any seller discounts he gets on fees so it actually can be quite the deterrent...

at any rate , congrats on the steal (if you get it)....i've been fortunate to have quite a few myself over the years (a quick peek at my files and it looks like 68 ebay items at less than 1% BV with the "winning" mark being 4 items at a hefty .04% of BV....granted those were not HUGE transactions - some of my better deals would include a lot of 100 assorted inserts with a BV of 322.65 for 2.50 (.77%) , 2 different single cards with a BV of 120 that sold for .99 each (.83%) , a $650 marcus robinson lot for 5.59 (.86%) , and a 400-card rookie/parallel lot with a BV of 1000 for 4.45 (.43%)....as you may have guessed , buying LOTS can yield HUUUGE volume discounts....

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - djohn - 10-31-2014

(10-30-2014, 05:41 PM)sonic311 Wrote: The Seller has more than 150 transactions and 15+ years experience not sure why he didnt set a reserve price on a card he thought should sell for X-amount.
Not sure if I would really consider someone with 150 transactions over 15 years much of an eBay regular. That simply means he has done about 10 transactions a year or less than 1 a month. I bet a lot of that was in purchasing items as well, and not all in selling. So he might not realize how to best sell/list items. Heck, I have seen sellers with 1,000+ feedback that still do 1 day listings starting at $0.99. I love them as a buyer because it tends to mean lower prices, and I am sure most sellers only do that when they need money quickly.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - TBarn291 - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 11:06 AM)Caffrey Wrote: If he has been on Ebay for years, that probably means he has thousands of completed transactions. I don't think the thread of ONE negative feedback will persuade him to give up big money.

You would be right If OP had specified the seller had been selling on ebay for 15 years and in which case I wouldn't have asked, but OP said that the seller stated he had been selling for 15 years (No mention of ebay)... and honestly, I wouldn't care if I had 100,000 feedback. If they were 100% positive I would definitely not want a neg.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - sonic311 - 11-01-2014

Just got an email notification saying Seller has refunded my payment.
Should I contact eBay to report this?
I never gave indication that I wanted to break our agreement or a refund.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - Etyndall - 11-01-2014

File a claim he really just need's to suck it up and mark it down as a loss. Everyone that sells cards on ebay has card's that don't get the $$$ you are hoping for that's part of it being an auction. He should have done a BIN or Reserve bottom line. When you hit him with NEG feedback make sure you nail him with the lowest stars all the way across also. I'd send him a message and tell him to put his big girl panties on and suck it up like a man.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - Dub24rollin - 11-01-2014

Wow, that is cheap! I've had stuff sell for WELL below what I thought or wanted and have actually lost money by offering free shipping. You send the item, congratulate the buyer, and move on.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - djohn - 11-01-2014

(11-01-2014, 04:30 PM)sonic311 Wrote: Just got an email notification saying Seller has refunded my payment.
Well that sucks for you. How about a little bit more information about what the card was that you almost got a steal on. I know most people are bad mouthing the seller here, but before I give any further advice it would be nice to know if we are talking about a $10 card that sold for $0.15, a $100 card that sold for $1.50, or a $1,000 card that sold for $15.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - altz11 - 11-02-2014

This is probably obvious but make sure to save the message where he told you how he didn't " understand how you got the card for such a low price," and send it to ebay as proof. Not sure if it can help but couldn't hurt.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - vgqv - 11-02-2014

(11-01-2014, 10:53 PM)djohn Wrote: Well that sucks for you. How about a little bit more information about what the card was that you almost got a steal on. I know most people are bad mouthing the seller here, but before I give any further advice it would be nice to know if we are talking about a $10 card that sold for $0.15, a $100 card that sold for $1.50, or a $1,000 card that sold for $15.

I concur, what is the card?

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - mgoehring - 11-02-2014

(11-01-2014, 04:30 PM)sonic311 Wrote: Just got an email notification saying Seller has refunded my payment.

definitely notify eBay. Not that it will do much good other than make you feel a little better, but on principle I think it's the right thing to do.