Beckett Message Boards
Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay (/thread-1566838.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - sonic311 - 10-30-2014

A few days ago I won a nice card at about 1.5% Book Value. I was shocked to say the least. I Immediately paid for it and sent the seller a message asking him to please package card properly and that if need be I'd pay extra to ensure that it was packaged/shipped securely. He responded later that day saying not to worry because he had been selling for over 15 years now with no issues/complaints.

The next day he sends me a message saying he cant understand how I won the card at such a low price and sends me a link of the last card that was sold. I replied that I didnt know where he was going with this and asked when he would be shipping the card.

It's been 2 days now and he has not replied.

Question 1: What would you do next?
Question 2: Does eBay have a Buyer Protection Policy for this type of scenario?
Question 3: What happens if the Seller chooses not to send the card?

I would really appreciate some advice or feedback from the Beckett community

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - carrollm09 - 10-30-2014

1: Just wait and be patient, then PM him after a couple days. You're trying to encourage him to do the right thing, not pretend that you have any power over him.
2: Yes, but ultimately if a seller is going to refuse to send a card there's absolutely nothing you can do, other than get your money back and leave a negative.
3: Open an eBay Buyer Protection Case when you're able.

You can try to appeal to his good nature, but if he's not going to send it then he already knows. If he's already down that road you can pressure him with integrity, but don't threaten negative feedback in a PM because there are plenty of sellers who will use that information (the threat of retribution, which is against eBay policy) to have a subsequent negative successfully removed. If he's already there then you're probably better off just accepting the cancellation. For some people this hobby is a livelihood, and other times the stars just align and everyone who was going to bid on the card got held up in traffic. If it's a $1000 BV card that always sells for $500 and it goes for $15, the monetary differences is worth it to most sellers to take the negative. eBay auctions, while advertised as a binding agreement, have really no force behind them. Good luck, though.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - altz11 - 10-30-2014

What carollm09 said.

I've never been in this situation but ultimately there is nothing you can do but leave a negative if seller doesn't ship.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - sonic311 - 10-30-2014

(10-30-2014, 05:19 PM)carrollm09 Wrote: 1: Just wait and be patient, then PM him after a couple days. You're trying to encourage him to do the right thing, not pretend that you have any power over him.
2: Yes, but ultimately if a seller is going to refuse to send a card there's absolutely nothing you can do, other than get your money back and leave a negative.
3: Open an eBay Buyer Protection Case when you're able.

You can try to appeal to his good nature, but if he's not going to send it then he already knows. If he's already down that road you can pressure him with integrity, but don't threaten negative feedback in a PM because there are plenty of sellers who will use that information (the threat of retribution, which is against eBay policy) to have a subsequent negative successfully removed. If he's already there then you're probably better off just accepting the cancellation. For some people this hobby is a livelihood, and other times the stars just align and everyone who was going to bid on the card got held up in traffic. If it's a $1000 BV card that always sells for $500 and it goes for $15, the monetary differences is worth it to most sellers to take the negative. eBay auctions, while advertised as a binding agreement, have really no force behind them. Good luck, though.

Thanks for all the good info. I'll take your advice and be patient, I'll send him a PM after the weekend to see where we stand.

I really want the card and and was actually thinking about offering to send him a card or cards that he can sell to get back what he feels he lost out on. The Seller has more than 150 transactions and 15+ years experience not sure why he didnt set a reserve price on a card he thought should sell for X-amount.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - buckunteer - 10-31-2014

Cards slip through the cracks. His fault for not putting a reserve on it. I don't care how good his feedback is if he doesn't send the card he's a jerk.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - carrollm09 - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 12:34 AM)buckunteer Wrote: Cards slip through the cracks. His fault for not putting a reserve on it. I don't care how good his feedback is if he doesn't send the card he's a jerk.

Unlike in a live auction, eBay reserves actually alienate sellers in an online setting. Minimum prices are the safest route to go, but when an item is expected to generate more interest and exceed the minimum, a 99 cent auction generates further bids. If there was a legitimate reason why the card might have sold for less (an eBay outage) it could be understood, but in this case it's most likely all about money.

If I'm selling a $1000 card because I need to buy food and it sells for $15, then yeah, I'm probably going to consider not fulfilling my part. Obviously I know nothing about this guy's circumstances, just saying that's a hell of a steal and any seller would probably be upset, regardless of circumstance. It doesn't mean I think the seller shouldn't send it, it just means I don't think he's likely to.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - vgqv - 10-31-2014

I can understand both sides. The seller assumed they would get X amount for the card but that did not occur and the buyer got it for next to nothing. The seller doesn't want to lose out on $$$ and the buyer definitely wants the card because they got it for a steal. However, it is a fact that it's the seller's fault for not setting a reserve price and hoping (assuming) the card would sell for what they expected it to in their mind. The buyer is at no fault here, aside from being at the right place at the right time.

All in all, I don't think you are going to get the card. I hope you get it but I'd be surprised. What is the card if I can ask?

Good luck!

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - TBarn291 - 10-31-2014

The only thing you can do, is open up an item not received case when enough time has passed, get your refund and leave a neg. Does the seller have a lot of feedback, and is it 100%? If so you might be able to persuade him with the threat of the negative feedback.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - Caffrey - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 10:56 AM)TBarn291 Wrote: The only thing you can do, is open up an item not received case when enough time has passed, get your refund and leave a neg. Does the seller have a lot of feedback, and is it 100%? If so you might be able to persuade him with the threat of the negative feedback.

If he has been on Ebay for years, that probably means he has thousands of completed transactions. I don't think the thread of ONE negative feedback will persuade him to give up big money.

RE: Won a card at 1.5 % BV on eBay - djohn - 10-31-2014

First and foremost, BE PATIENT! Just sit back and wait to see if the card arrives. If after a week there is no message from the seller and nothing arrives or shows up as being shipped on eBay then simply ping the seller with something simple like, "just curious as to when the card shipped, so I know when to expect it". The more you antagonize the seller, the more likely you are to raise his concerns or make him question about sending the card or not. Also, if he is an honest seller and he sends the card then each message from you is going to be an unpleasant reminder about how much he lost on the sale of the card. So just sit tight and wait until the time passes that eBay allows you to open up a case, and hope that the card arrives before that time.
One recommendation I would have is to actually video record the opening of the package. The only reason I state this is because the seller could theoretically send a different item or empty envelope and have tracking that shows it was shipped and delivered. Thus when you open an eBay claim it will be tougher to get refunded since their will be a deliver record. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but I have heard of it happening before.
One final thing to keep in mind...put yourself in the seller's situation and think about how you might (honestly) react. I think most people would say that they would send the card and just take the loss over the money, however if they were really in the situation they might think the other way. It really depends on how much money we are talking about. You said you paid 1.5% of book for a card the usually sells for much more. If you're talking about a $100 card that you paid $1.50 for that normally sells for $10-$20 then most people might not care as much about the loss. However if you're talking about a $500 card that you paid $7.50 for and it normally sells for over $100, then it will be hard for most people to deliver on those goods.