Beckett Message Boards
Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+---- Forum: Box Breaks (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+---- Thread: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? (/thread-1564158.html)

Pages: 1 2

Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - DrMitchJ - 08-15-2014

Anyone ever pick this repack product up?
I picked up 2 the other day.
Got 2 graded cards, and a bunch of packs.
I was worried they would be filled with 1989 Fleer wax, but actually, all in all, there were a good selection of 2006-2013 topps/UD packs.
So first the graded cards
97 Zenith Ripken and 93 UD Ryan both graded 10 (I guess that's the whole point of 'gems' of the game?) ... Good I guess? 2 HOF players, could be worse, right?
[Image: null_zps054315f2.jpg]
Then nothing spectacular out of the packs, except for some SP Goudey
Bradshaw, Griffey, and Ryan
[Image: null_zpse13c1018.jpg]

Not the best product, but since the packs were decent and not 88-90 wax, these repacks are well worth it, IMO.

RE: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - demondukk - 08-15-2014

Not bad. I like the Goudey SPs!

I always wanna grab one a box but never do! I'm always torn as to what is graded in there. Of course they show a 93 Jeter SP and some other vintage on the box but they probably only packed one of each of those! Might have to finally try a box after seeing your thread. Thanks for sharing!

RE: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - rentzington - 08-15-2014

sounds like you did a lot better than most, a quick search showed a lot of people getting 10 graded cards of hasbeens and guys who never did anything

naturally some people got bgs 10 adrian peterson rookies, etc and made a nice profit

RE: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - Phillies_Joe - 08-15-2014

Nice hits DrM....you did really well. Myself, I pass right on by them, way too much hit or miss, unless one has the urge to open some decent packs for fun. As rentzington said "alot better than most" emphasis on the ALOT. Anyway, congrats on the 2 HOF hits and thanks for sharing.

RE: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - jacobystealshome - 08-15-2014

i guess it depends on the price point

but a bccg card of a 75 cent base card seems like a scammy dutch auction from 7 years ago on ebay

RE: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - jaredhuizenga - 08-15-2014

On one of the Facebook group pages someone picked one up and landed the Jeter SP BGS 9.5 that's listed shown on the outside of the box.

So, naturally I got the itch. My graded card was worse than the ones you got - Frank Thomas or something like that. I did manage a low-end auto and a low-end mem card out of the packs though.

And I too was actually pretty surprised at the quality of the packs included. Mostly Upper Deck and a few Topps, but not awful for $20.

RE: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - bamyanks - 08-15-2014

This is the first I have ever heard of anyone getting a BGS graded card from this product. Everyone I've talked to who have bought this product (including me) has just gotten BCCG graded cards. I wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole. I'm glad someone did get something good.

RE: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - jaredhuizenga - 08-15-2014

I think it might be a chase-type situation. 99% of it is garbage, but they put a handful of good ones in there to keep people interested.

RE: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - CrakumsGT - 08-16-2014

What are your plans with that Nolan Ryan (in Angels uni)? I'd be highly interested if you're trading. All in all that looks like a pretty nice pack.

RE: Gems of the Game? Good or bad? - DrMitchJ - 08-16-2014

(08-16-2014, 05:05 AM)CrakumsGT Wrote: What are your plans with that Nolan Ryan (in Angels uni)? I'd be highly interested if you're trading. All in all that looks like a pretty nice pack.

As soon as I am able, I'll pop it into ORG and certain we can work out a trade. Just super busy for the next 2-3 days. Sorry.