Beckett Message Boards
PC additions - June additions at #292 - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: PC additions - June additions at #292 (/thread-1563252.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - greekgoony - 09-24-2014

Good stuff. I am loving the vintage!

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - jaredhuizenga - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 08:19 AM)greekgoony Wrote: Good stuff. I am loving the vintage!

Yeah, I caught a little bit of the vintage bug. Not horrible, but a bit of it. I started looking at it more when I realized I could get Killebrew stuff for cheaper than I could Buxton. And then along the way I've stumbled into some really great deals.

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - greekgoony - 09-24-2014

Yeah, I am finding the vintage coming down in price. I am working on the 1958 set and I was able to get a couple of the bigger guys for alot less than I thought.

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - DrMitchJ - 09-24-2014

All great pickups, Jared! Especially that One card that always brings back fond memories!
I have that Mantle, Killebrew, Mays card since I was a wee-little-lad when I opened a nice pack of gum and first discovered cards. (Actually, my grandfather bought me my first packs the year before.) The 1968 Topps cards, I bought all on my own with my own earned money. Actually, my friend's brilliant brainstorm ... Bobby and I would ride our stingray bikes around the school playground, ball fields, parking lot, etc finding deposit bottles of Coke and Pepsi. When we collected enough of them or our baskets were full, we would ride to this one nearby deli that gave us money for them and right next door was a candy store/ newsstand. We learned the benefits of recycling ... We converted bottles for cards, gum and comicbooks! 40-50 cents sure bought a lot of stuff. Smile I flipped most of my cards back then, but that one MMK card was never touched!

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - jaredhuizenga - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 11:09 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: All great pickups, Jared! Especially that One card that always brings back fond memories!
I have that Mantle, Killebrew, Mays card since I was a wee-little-lad when I opened a nice pack of gum and first discovered cards. (Actually, my grandfather bought me my first packs the year before.) The 1968 Topps cards, I bought all on my own with my own earned money. Actually, my friend's brilliant brainstorm ... Bobby and I would ride our stingray bikes around the school playground, ball fields, parking lot, etc finding deposit bottles of Coke and Pepsi. When we collected enough of them or our baskets were full, we would ride to this one nearby deli that gave us money for them and right next door was a candy store/ newsstand. We learned the benefits of recycling ... We converted bottles for cards, gum and comicbooks! 40-50 cents sure bought a lot of stuff. Smile I flipped most of my cards back then, but that one MMM card was never touched!

I saw that one and knew I had to have it, but it kept eluding me. One night I was all hopped up on Zzzquil and Busch Light and I thought to myself, "I'm either gonna get this card or they're gonna have to pay to get it away from me." I think I ended up paying a little over $40 for it. Still not a bad deal. The other 2 vintage were a grand total of $7, I believe.

Definitely lacks the good back story that your copy does ... that much I do know.

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - DrMitchJ - 09-24-2014

Great deal on that card, my friend! Any time you can pick up a vintage Mantle card for under $100, in that condition, you did well. The fact that Mays and Killebrew are there ... Double bonus! Smile I can't remember what I paid for my pack, but I'm sure it was less than a penny a card Smile
You can borrow my story anytime you want Smile the cool thing about collecting ... That happened a long-a$$ time ago, but When I see that card, it brings me right back to that day.

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - jaredhuizenga - 09-27-2014

A little bit of Kohl Stewart I've picked up lately. Didn't tell anyone about this in hopes that people wouldn't bid against me. I think it worked - rainbow (excluding 1/1s) complete.

First, you got your base, xfractor, chrome and purple. [Image: 20140926_235639_zpsijzrqe4u.jpg]

Next, you got your green, blue, gold, Japan fractor, red, camo, orange and atomic. This one came together way easier than I expected.
[Image: 20140926_235950_zps500ubtta.jpg]

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - jaredhuizenga - 10-08-2014

Today's mail ... 1 card, $1, inspired to buy due to our resident doctor. [Image: 20141008_203452_zpswe99arig.jpg][Image: 20141008_203524_zpslsihgpvy.jpg]

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - DrMitchJ - 10-14-2014

Very sweet! Casey Kelly /35 nice stuff, Jared! So does that mean I need to start picking up Buxton ? Smile

Btw: the Stewart rainbow is pretty awesome!

RE: Some "September call-ups" for my PC - SF_Giants_2014 - 10-14-2014

Great adds Jared!