Beckett Message Boards
25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? (/thread-1551587.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - shezdoni - 12-30-2013

All of the 2005 UD promo cards were inserted into Beckett, and Tuff Stuff Magazines, so the odds of there being complete sets, is highly possible, but they are probably locked away in one of those companies backroom, vault, etc.....

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - no1dolphan - 01-01-2014

As Marinocollector previously said, the 1997 Gems redemption is a different card.
The 97 Crown Royale Silver exists (pretty sure) - I have to find all of mine, but I believe it's w/o any holographic background whatsoever.
The early 90's AP mint cards (I think) were issued in set form, which would expain why you never seem them for sale. I have a 92 AP Rookies Marino PSA 8, but I haven't seen another Marino offered anywhere.
The 97 Ultra brown back is another one that I'm doubtful of. I initially thought it was similar to the two versions of 97 Skybox Premium card backs, which strangely enough ISN'T listed in OPG despite being fairly common.
The running mates issue is most likely just as you thought - the unnumbered cards were a result of a bankruptcy auction. I believe these should be listed so people can distinguish, however, I think the value needs to be lowered... a LOT. This is the case with SO many late 90's edge cards. The 98 Odyssey Hologolds for example. You see a ton of them with no serial number, imo they're worthless, but OPG should list them to protect potential buyers who aren't aware of the difference. They should be listed at about 10% of serial numbered versions.
Her's another in the listed twice category:
1998 Playoff Dan Marino Milestones autos. This is a 15 card insert set released in different Playoff products. The exact breakdown escapes me, but I believe it was 5 each in Absolute,momentum and prestige. Beckett has them listed as if they're all different when they're not. This caused some serious aggravation with PSA and the registry listing. I finally got them to fix it once I had all 15.

I have close to 100 Marino cards that aren't listed in OPG, any idea on who to send that to so they can be added?

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - htoutlaws - 01-01-2014

[Image: img620_zpsf180198f.jpg]

1995 Collector's Edge EdgeTech Black Label 22K Gold (I would love to find)

Either I have identified these cards incorrectly, or that card doesn't exist.
Left to right..
95 Collector's Edge EdgeTech #23
95 Collector's Edge EdgeTech 22K Gold #23
95 Collector's Edge Edge Tech Black Label #23 (Diagonal criss cross cuts on front) Correctly ID'd?
95 Collector's Edge EdgeTech Circular Prisms #23 (Circular cuts tiled on front)

After searching for years, you don't really care as much about owning one, you really just want to SEE ONE!

[Image: 1993ActionPackedMintParallelEmmittSmith_zps4affb8f5.jpg]

[Image: 1993ActionPackedMNFMintParallel_zps92e25401.jpg]

This is all I have seen on 93 Action Packed Mint Parallels

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - uwash97 - 01-02-2014

(01-01-2014, 11:36 AM)htoutlaws Wrote: [Image: img620_zpsf180198f.jpg]

1995 Collector's Edge EdgeTech Black Label 22K Gold (I would love to find)

Left to right..
95 Collector's Edge Edge Tech Black Label #23 (Diagonal criss cross cuts on front) Correctly ID'd?
95 Collector's Edge EdgeTech Circular Prisms #23 (Circular cuts tiled on front)

After searching for years, you don't really care as much about owning one, you really just want to SEE ONE!

You have those identified correctly. I have never seen a Favre EdgeTech Black Label 22K gold either. I doubt they exist.

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - Marinocollector - 01-02-2014

(01-01-2014, 11:36 AM)htoutlaws Wrote: 1995 Collector's Edge EdgeTech Black Label 22K Gold (I would love to find)

Left to right..

If I recollect correctly, here's the confusion... I think the Edgetech 22kt were only inserted into the Black Label packs, but they featured the same design as the basic Edgetech cards. I think over time, they have been confused, like so many of these older insert and parallel sets. Instead of being one card set, the two different designs have made it seem two different sets should exist, when in fact, they are both the same set.

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - lennox p - 01-03-2014

(12-25-2013, 05:17 PM)ginge01 Wrote: Great post.

My two cents (about my Jets collection)

14. 1997 Leaf Signature Autographs First Down Markers (91 cards) parallels
I'd like to know which Jets have them.

Thanks for your research

keyshawn johnson does exist, i have it.

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - nittany13 - 01-03-2014

Some interesting posts provided since my last. I will systematically respond to each.
(12-27-2013, 05:38 AM)jaderock Wrote: Add this one as "partially available, but quiet possibly not all": 1999 Flair Legacy Showcase Collection for cards #96-160. I've only documented about 15 of these available over past 14+ years.
I have never heard prior that the 1999 Flair Legacy Collection parallels may not exist for all the base cards in the set. I may look a little closer in to that. It is strange that the Legacy Collection parallels are seemingly scarcer for the row 0 versions in the 1998 set though.

(12-29-2013, 08:49 PM)ginge01 Wrote: Hi, thanks for the kind words Nittany13, so busy with work I have not had time to check in a lot on the boards. I will be occupied now trying to find a new IT job from April 1st. I don't have Beckett OPG so I can't check the Action Packed Mint Aikman...
Yeah, I too have posted less in recent years due to being gainfully employed. I am not complaining though Smile. Good luck with your work.

Actually you do not have to purchase the OPG to look through items, you just will not see the prices. If you type in "1993 Action Packed Mint Parallel" above the checklist of the set willl come up and if you then scroll down just a little you will see the Aikman example in question.

(12-30-2013, 02:50 AM)wavytiger1975 Wrote: My small contribution, love these posts whenever I see them and any similar

[Image: leaffdm.jpg]
Thanks, I am glad to read that Smile.

We now know there is a Cris Carter stamped version, among a few others I discovered out there.

(12-30-2013, 07:52 AM)shezdoni Wrote: All of the 2005 UD promo cards were inserted into Beckett, and Tuff Stuff Magazines, so the odds of there being complete sets, is highly possible, but they are probably locked away in one of those companies backroom, vault, etc.....
Just that set or all the other sets as well were inserted in to those magazines at different times, just like the Playoff/Donruss ones in years prior? If that is how these UD Promos were dispersed then I am more likely to believe that it is entirely possible that all or most of those listed OPG promos in question do indeed exist.

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - nittany13 - 01-04-2014

I am going to differentiate my replies with caps. Please do not think that I am yelling at anyone.
(01-01-2014, 06:25 AM)no1dolphan Wrote: As Marinocollector previously said, the 1997 Gems redemption is a different card. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE WHAT THE REDEMPTION LOOKS LIKE.
The 97 Crown Royale Silver exists (pretty sure) - I have to find all of mine, but I believe it's w/o any holographic background whatsoever. CURRENTLY I AGREE THAT THESE EXIST. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I HAVE HEARD THAT THESE HAVE NO HOLOGRAPHIC BACKGROUND HOWEVER.
The early 90's AP mint cards (I think) were issued in set form, which would expain why you never seem them for sale. I have a 92 AP Rookies Marino PSA 8, but I haven't seen another Marino offered anywhere. I KNOW THESE EXIST FOR OTHER ACTION PACKED SETS, BUT I AM NOT SURE THAT EVERY CARD FROM THE MAIN 1993 SET HAS A GOLD VERSION.
The 97 Ultra brown back is another one that I'm doubtful of. AGREED I initially thought it was similar to the two versions of 97 Skybox Premium card backs, which strangely enough ISN'T listed in OPG despite being fairly common. NEVER HEARD OF A 1997 SKYBOX PREMIUM VARIATION - PLEASE ELABORATE. I AM VERY INTERESTED.

The running mates issue is most likely just as you thought - the unnumbered cards were a result of a bankruptcy auction. I believe these should be listed so people can distinguish, however, I think the value needs to be lowered... a LOT. This is the case with SO many late 90's edge cards. The 98 Odyssey Hologolds for example. You see a ton of them with no serial number, imo they're worthless, but OPG should list them to protect potential buyers who aren't aware of the difference. They should be listed at about 10% of serial numbered versions...
I have close to 100 Marino cards that aren't listed in OPG, any idea on who to send that to so they can be added?
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your last point above. I definitely do not think the unnumbered Running Mates cards and other similar unnumbered examples should be listed in the OPG. In fact, the reason why I bought the shown unnumbered card above in the first place is because I thought it was a legitimate parallel since it was listed on there.

Anyway, I am of the belief that all, or at the very least a large fraction of serial numbered cards have an unnumbered version out there somewhere. If Beckett was to undertake this ambitious project of adding everything imaginable, 3,000+ unnumbered versions of numbered Dan Marino cards would be added to the registry alone. Why stop there? Let's also add all the non-pack inserted possible printing plates and all other myriad of oddities that were released due to defunct company bankruptcy auctions. A 6,800 Dan Marino count in the registry for example could easily swell to 20K+ (which is a conservative estimate). All that junk waters down an already relatively solid and consistent player checklist, no offense.

(01-01-2014, 11:36 AM)htoutlaws Wrote: After searching for years, you don't really care as much about owning one, you really just want to SEE ONE!

[Image: 1993ActionPackedMintParallelEmmittSmith_zps4affb8f5.jpg]

[Image: 1993ActionPackedMNFMintParallel_zps92e25401.jpg]

This is all I have seen on 93 Action Packed Mint Parallels
Thank you very much for showing me these. The MNF set had gold parallels, this I do know. The gold card on the right in the top picture appears to be a version of the base set. So far I have seen an Aikman and Emmitt Smith but I wonder are there others from the main 1993 set? Perhaps Action Packed only produced gold parallels of the Dallas Cowboys from this set?

(01-02-2014, 06:46 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: If I recollect correctly, here's the confusion... I think the Edgetech 22kt were only inserted into the Black Label packs, but they featured the same design as the basic Edgetech cards. I think over time, they have been confused, like so many of these older insert and parallel sets. Instead of being one card set, the two different designs have made it seem two different sets should exist, when in fact, they are both the same set.

Unfortunately none of the players that I collect is featured in this set so I cannot provide any further expertise.
(01-03-2014, 07:47 PM)lennox p Wrote: keyshawn johnson does exist, i have it.
In case you do not know, ginge01 has an incredible New York Jets collection. You two may want to trade notes on your Keyshawns.

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - nittany13 - 03-15-2014

Here is another example of a card insert set that was added to the OPG fairly recently which I strongly doubt the existence of:

1997 Stadium Club #CL1 Checklist Card 1
1997 Stadium Club #CL2 Checklist Card 2
1997 Stadium Club #CL3H Checklist Card co-signers
1997 Stadium Club #CL4H Checklist Card inserts

Now the weird thing is that one each of the above checklist cards is listed within the online downloadable checklists of Kerry Collins, Deion Sanders and Curtis Martin. Assuming these checklists exist, and again I do not think they do for this particular football set, why would these also be listed in the aforementioned player lists? Can ghosted images of the players in question be seen in the background?

If anyone knows about the existence of or has any information of these checklist cards please let it be known here.

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they? - no1dolphan - 03-16-2014

(01-04-2014, 01:16 AM)nittany13 Wrote: I am going to differentiate my replies with caps. Please do not think that I am yelling at anyone.
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your last point above. I definitely do not think the unnumbered Running Mates cards and other similar unnumbered examples should be listed in the OPG. In fact, the reason why I bought the shown unnumbered card above in the first place is because I thought it was a legitimate parallel since it was listed on there.

Anyway, I am of the belief that all, or at the very least a large fraction of serial numbered cards have an unnumbered version out there somewhere. If Beckett was to undertake this ambitious project of adding everything imaginable, 3,000+ unnumbered versions of numbered Dan Marino cards would be added to the registry alone. Why stop there? Let's also add all the non-pack inserted possible printing plates and all other myriad of oddities that were released due to defunct company bankruptcy auctions. A 6,800 Dan Marino count in the registry for example could easily swell to 20K+ (which is a conservative estimate). All that junk waters down an already relatively solid and consistent player checklist, no offense.

Thank you very much for showing me these. The MNF set had gold parallels, this I do know. The gold card on the right in the top picture appears to be a version of the base set. So far I have seen an Aikman and Emmitt Smith but I wonder are there others from the main 1993 set? Perhaps Action Packed only produced gold parallels of the Dallas Cowboys from this set?

Unfortunately none of the players that I collect is featured in this set so I cannot provide any further expertise.
In case you do not know, ginge01 has an incredible New York Jets collection. You two may want to trade notes on your Keyshawns.
I'm not saying to catalog cards that show up in a form never released by the company, however, when they hoard a bunch of a serial numbered cards in non-serial form, go bankrupt and flood the market with unnumbered versions, people should know. Do unnumbered gold running mate cards exist? sure, but imo they're junk... just like the unnumbered 98 hologolds. If you're new and you troll ebay looking for one you should know that the real card is machine stamped so you're not duped... that's all I'm saying.

Also, I'm going ahead and declaring that 1996 Donruss CL press proofs don't exist so add it to the list. I put it in a separate thread earlier.

In addition, the 1996 Marino Hit List promo is for sure a SP. I would say it doesn't exist at all, but you stated that you've seen one. I've seen several hundred Rice and Seau and not one Marino... ever. I know Marino collectors are hoarders (yours truly included), but I don't think that can make up for the lack of cards available.