Beckett Message Boards
Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? (/thread-1547901.html)

Pages: 1 2

Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - RobbinsDynasty - 10-24-2013

Just from this site alone I have seen some pretty impressive Rainbows that have been put together by other members. Finally put in some leg work to see how easy could I pull off a rainbow of my own that I would be happy with plus not run up a HUGE PAYPAL CHARGE. Without getting into specifics on who the player is and what the total cost would tally for I would like some feed back. Said player has only had a few releases. Through pretty simple searches found some of the lower numbered cards didn't sell when listed on the bay. Contacted the seller of the card and asked if card was still in his possession. Through conversation found out yes the card is and also has other cards that will help the rainbow efforts to make the search a little easier...After doing some more research found out what the seller in turn paid for them. here comes the real issue for me and it is more MORAL OR MENTAL over MONETARY... in total of three cards and taking into account the average cost of card 1 card will he break even. 2nd card he would be doubling up and 3rd card he would be bringing in 8x what he paid for it. Is this really an issue or am I making more of it then I should?

PLEASE ALL FEEDBACK IS GOOD FEEDBACK.

RE: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - chrisa19978 - 10-24-2013

The way I see it you will make gains on some cards and take losses on others so you try your best to break even in the long run. I know I have cards I will get no where near what I paid for the so with hat said if I can make a few dollars on a card I will sell it for a profit. But I also look at it as I am mostly a collector though certain cards I want are going to be expensive so I sell cards I don't want.

RE: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - RobbinsDynasty - 10-24-2013

(10-24-2013, 08:28 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: The way I see it you will make gains on some cards and take losses on others so you try your best to break even in the long run. I know I have cards I will get no where near what I paid for the so with hat said if I can make a few dollars on a card I will sell it for a profit. But I also look at it as I am mostly a collector though certain cards I want are going to be expensive so I sell cards I don't want.

I totally get that in this hobby you will not always end on the + side of every item if even a majority of the items +. It's not the fact that he is trying to make money of the cards but to gain full investment and then some off every card how can that be considered a deal? especially on ebay when I can check the history of sales. this would be every investors dream. bought them from guys trying to unload on OBO then recoup all and double up on each card and more or the others...would this settle well in your head knowing all this info?

RE: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - Phillies_Joe - 10-24-2013

Think about it....why concern yourself with what the seller is requesting over what they paid? Maybe theyyyy got a good deal? Just ask yourself is the card @ whatever x's thier cost (your price) worth it to you? If yes buy it, if not don't. Pretty simple.....

Use this as an example for you on the sell side. You buy a box of Topps update cards that average cost to you is $0.13 per card. You pull a Puig Rookie Gold # to 2013 that you want to sell @ $15. That's a 11538.46% mark-up.....any moral questions now?

RE: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - RobbinsDynasty - 10-24-2013

(10-24-2013, 08:52 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Think about it....why concern yourself with what the seller is requesting over what they paid? Maybe theyyyy got a good deal? Just ask yourself is the card @ whatever x's thier cost (your price) worth it to you? If yes buy it, if not don't. Pretty simple.....

Use this as an example for you on the sell side. You buy a box of Topps update cards that average cost to you is $0.13 per card. You pull a Puig Rookie Gold # to 2013 that you want to sell @ $15. That's a 11538.46% mark-up.....any moral questions now?

I totally understand the busting for profit and would that breaks down to.. I think it is more being presented this as a DEAL and it really isn't looking like a deal... I don't see him getting the figures from anywhere else but when you have a market corned on low print numbers I guess you are just pinned up on supply and demand. Maybe it's not really the price I am more wrapped up on it is the THIS IS A DEAL and not looking as such. like I said maybe I am just putting too much into it

RE: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - Phillies_Joe - 10-24-2013

(10-24-2013, 09:02 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: I totally understand the busting for profit and would that breaks down to.. I think it is more being presented this as a DEAL and it really isn't looking like a deal... I don't see him getting the figures from anywhere else but when you have a market corned on low print numbers I guess you are just pinned up on supply and demand. Maybe it's not really the price I am more wrapped up on it is the THIS IS A DEAL and not looking as such. like I said maybe I am just putting too much into it

No one likes to feel or percieve they were taken advantage of or gouged so your feelings are justified. Again, just look at it as "do I want these cards at this price or not", you'll then be able to answer the question is this a deal or not.

RE: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - petillo64 - 10-24-2013

Whether or not he got the card for a steal should not factor into the equation... If he got them for a steal, more power to him. The only thing that should factor into your decision should be are the cards worth his asking price?

But, knowing his buy price is of benefit because you have some bargaining leverage, knowing what he paid and at what price he would still make a reasonable profit

RE: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - jcollyer - 10-25-2013

Umm, the cards did not sell on the bay and it is offseason, unless the guy explodes in the next season, you should be setting the price. If the seller will not agree to what you want to pay just keep a tight watch on the bay...s/he will eventually list it for .99 as they do with all cards, and unless it becomes a bidding war you should get the card(s) at a more resonable price...just keep in mind that 1 out of 100 cards produced either hold thier value or raise in value and I would say the odds of newer cards doing this dramatically decrease.

RE: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - DrMitchJ - 10-25-2013

I think you're waaaaay over thinking this whole thing. Find a price you like, offer what you think, buy it or don't. The seller has no obligation to be 'fair' to you. I never sell cards (and rarely trade, much to the displeasure of some here Smile ) but if I did, I wouldn't think twice about listing a card for more than its worth (or perceived value) if I don't mind ultimately keeping it. i.e. I have a 1/1 2013 Topps mini card of Jose Bautista. I pulled it from a pack. If I put a price of $200 on it and get $20 offers, I probably wouldn't sell it. Eventually a person that really, really wants it will come along. If not, I didn't lose anything ... I still have the 1/1 card.
Recently I put in an offer on a 1/1 printing plate on a non-star player that didn't sell and was relisted 3 times. It was declined after I offered him/her twice what they paid. Go figure! But I can't get mad at them for not taking my offer. Some people are sitting on what they think is treasure when in reality, they're not!
"Value is in the eye of the beholder!" Smile

RE: Would you knowingly pay flippers fee? - waynetalger - 10-25-2013

Heres a fact. Do you buy singles from your LCS? If the answer is yes then you are paying a flippers fee and that is why he is in business. Do you buy packs or boxes? If the answer is yes then its a flippers fee. I know you buy food and there again on person sold to another to another and finally to you and each time it was flipped and your paying a flippers fee and the grocery store or in cards. Each on everyone of us pays a flippers fee the question only boils down to do I really want it at that price.

The only way you can get out of paying a flippers fee is if someone gave it to you or you built it from scratch without spending a single penny.