Beckett Message Boards
Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... (/thread-1546879.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - cgod26 - 10-11-2013

I've been collecting cards for a very long time and I see many collectors who claim they have a ridiculous amount of 1/1's for the player they collect. I'm thinking "holy crap" I didn't even know they made that many 1/1's of this or that player. Then after further investigation I notice that they count the first card and the last card in a numbered card a 1/1 and their college and pro jersey number a 1/1. Seriously?? 4 1/1's in every #ed parallel unless jersey is higher than card rarity. So if you find a card numbered to 5 made, and you collect Carson Palmer. Then I guess the 1/5, 3/5, and 5/5 are 1/1's?

Personally I never believed that the first and the last of anything is considered a 1/1. I can see maybe the jersey number being sought after more, but I think collectors are over valuing their collection by attaching the "1/1" title to these cards. I believe it's more of a "I have the first card made...cool!"

Technically, isn't card 2/25 just as rare as card 1/25? I have never sought after these for my personal collection and to be honest, I don't really go for the jersey number either unless I can get it cheap. Also, I would think that the more of the card that is produced, the more collectible these cards may be. having card 1/10,000 would be more collectible.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm more worried about just collecting every card of the player I like. What does everyone else think?

RE: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - montanacollector1619 - 10-11-2013

I think it is just silly, because technically every card that is serial numbered is a 1/1, because there will not be another one of that card numbered to that number lol Just using their logic on that. Too me, the only 1/1 is a serial numbered 1/1 card or even a graded card, if you have the only BGS 10 Joe Montana RC, I see that as a 1/1. I get really sick of seeing all these ebay 1/1 cards.

RE: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - nolan5000 - 10-11-2013

There are collectors who have a ton of legitimate 1/1's. Their cards are actually machine stamped or handwritten 1/1.

RE: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - foleylion08 - 10-11-2013

The idea of these 1/1s came from a theory right here on beckett a long time ago. the first and last cards are perceived as more valuable because they were the first or last one's made and some people believe this is cool, so they'll pay more for it. The craze now is on the jersey number being the same as the serial number. You can see that on eBay, cards that are the first or last in the print run or a jersey number go for more than a randomly numbered serial number. It's clever and effective marketing by sellers. Sometimes it will even go beyond the low numbered stuff. I remember an article in Beckett Mag back in the 1990s about one of the authors trading a buttload of cards for a Barry Sanders insert numbered 2053/2500 because it was the year after Sanders rushed for 2,053 yards. To each his own I guess.

RE: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - duch2izback - 10-11-2013

Any card that isn't stamped 1/1 is not a 1/1. Ebay started that crap with the first number, last number, jersey number garbage.

RE: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - p4ckattack - 10-11-2013

yea its really annoying when your looking for a real 1/1 and end up getting flooded with those seller 1/1s on the bay. My favorite was when a guy had a jersey number card and the first one printed from the same set and was advertising it as two 1/1s from the same set. I almost considered messaging him just to remark at how ridiculous it was.

RE: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - tdwright13 - 10-13-2013

If it's not stamped 1/1 or 1 of 1, it's not a 1/1. Period!

RE: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - superynaldo - 10-13-2013

(10-13-2013, 05:24 AM)tdwright13 Wrote: If it's not stamped 1/1 or 1 of 1, it's not a 1/1. Period!

Exactly!!!

RE: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - mooncricket916 - 10-13-2013

(10-11-2013, 07:26 PM)duch2izback Wrote: Any card that isn't stamped 1/1 is not a 1/1. Ebay started that crap with the first number, last number, jersey number garbage.

+1 and amen brother!

RE: Are they REALLY 1/1's? You tell me.... - nolan5000 - 10-13-2013

It's just so funny. IMHO, I think that all of y'all have missed the Original Poster's 1 and only point. I just don't think, from what I read of his post, that he was even talking about eBay 1/1's. He was, I think, talking about how collectors on here brag about how many actual 1/1's that they have. He couldn't believe that someone could have so many actual 1/1's.

Just my $34.