Beckett Message Boards
Question on my 96 Chrome Kobe - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Question on my 96 Chrome Kobe (/thread-1536619.html)

Question on my 96 Chrome Kobe - GoLakers24 - 05-28-2013

I have a Topps Chrome Kobe Bryant psa 9 and I'm thinking about breaking it out and having BGS grade it instead. My reasoning is that I prefer BGS to PSA and also BGS seems to give higher grades on this card.

Here's the pop report for BGS:
9: 936 9.5: 598 10: 54 total: 2,506 26% gem mint or better

Heres the pop report for PSA:
8: 397 9: 3481 10: 654 total: 4,617 14% gem mint

So my question is should I even bother or is it kind of risky since a PSA 9 would be better then a BGS 9 in this case? And if so should I break it out of the PSA case before sending it to BGS so they don't see the 9 grade or just send it still in the PSA case?

RE: Question on my 96 Chrome Kobe - kenarm79 - 05-28-2013

Actually PSA seems to give the better grades in comparison. Mint or better, PSA has over 4,000 with that grade in comparison to BGS, they have a little over 650 mint or better. I'd keep it the way it is.

RE: Question on my 96 Chrome Kobe - GoLakers24 - 05-28-2013

(05-28-2013, 06:34 PM)kenarm79 Wrote: Actually PSA seems to give the better grades in comparison. Mint or better, PSA has over 4,000 with that grade in comparison to BGS, they have a little over 650 mint or better. I'd keep it the way it is.

You forgot to tally the 9s in bgs when counting the mint or better but I see what you're saying. It appears to be easier to get mint or better with PSA but easier to get gem mint with BGS.

RE: Question on my 96 Chrome Kobe - kenarm79 - 05-28-2013

Lately a lot of people have been picking up PSA in comparison to BGS. It definitely is harder to get a gem mint from BGS than PSA. Personally, if it's encased I don't want to mess with it. If you would prefer to get a breakdown on the subgrades then BGS is the way to go.

RE: Question on my 96 Chrome Kobe - Socrkd55 - 05-29-2013

PSA 9 a lot of times translates to a BGS 8.5. Don't risk it. Enjoy the amazing card you have that a lot of people, like me, would kill to have lol. If anything, sell it and buy a BGS one, don't crack and resubmit though. You have a much higher chance of being disappointed than getting what you want

RE: Question on my 96 Chrome Kobe - sonic311 - 05-29-2013

You can submit the card to BGS as is, you would just have to pay extra for them busting the card out of the PSA case. You can set a minimum grade and if it doesnt get that at least you still have your card in a PSA 9 slab. Definitely dont crack it out to submit it to BGS, I had a bad experience last month doing that.
I had my 1996-97 Skybox Premium Rubies #55 Kobe in PSA 9 and I cracked it out and sent it to BGS. BGS sent the card back ungraded because they determined the card had been altered.

RE: Question on my 96 Chrome Kobe - beniss - 05-29-2013

I'd have to agree, psa seems like an easier grading system in my opinion.