Beckett Message Boards
though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible (/thread-1532226.html)

Pages: 1 2

though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - kstjst - 04-02-2013

just got a message from a bay buyer who received a card that they bought from me two weeks ago. They received the item a week later. A week after that i get a message from them claiming that it was their 10 year old son who went on the bay, unbeknownst to them, who then purchased the item and paid via paypal. Now they want to know if they can return the card for a refund.

though i feel sorry for them if it is the truth (which i do not believe so), i am tired of parents who claim their kids did all of this without their knowledge. i'm not responsible for their kids actions, they are.

first and foremost, i do not believe them as what parent in their right mind would let their kid know what their paypal account user id and password is? unless you just went in and used the account and "forgot" to log out, the system logs you out after a certain amount of time. and if you are that stupid to allow your kid to know your account information, then you obviously have enough trust in them to do the right thing.

secondly, as i've said previously, i'm not responsible for cleaning up after their kids. parents seem to think that a sob story is going to clear everything up...well, i'm getting kind of tired of parent's not watching what their kids are doing and worse yet, not teaching their kids what is right and what is wrong.

am i being too harsh here?

RE: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - monsterx - 04-02-2013

This has happened before!?

RE: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - coachlew10 - 04-02-2013

Hold them to the bid and payment. No refund.

RE: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - kstjst - 04-02-2013

i'm assuming you're just being sarcastic here Smile but yes, it has happened to me before. and though this next example is not mine, and mine is nowhere near how bad this one is -- remember the 2012 contenders andrew luck auto #1/1 auction that ended at $42K...never paid because it "was a kid who got into their parent's bay account."

(04-02-2013, 11:35 AM)monsterx Wrote: This has happened before!?

RE: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - bselje - 04-02-2013

this is the new "my dog ate my homework". That didnt work back then either.

RE: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - geddon81 - 04-02-2013

to be honest as much as i am around kids it really doesnt seem far fetched at all that this kind of thing happens. kids these days are extremely smart and tech savvy. hell my ex girlfriends son ordered $9 worth of games on my phone when he was just 2 years old, and it wasnt an iphone he got ahold of, it was my old dinosaur phone which you had to harshly navigate to order games or apps lol.

and im always on ebay, so i have mine to where it remembers my password and such. perhaps the parents did the same and the kid had simply signed on bcause of that option.

BUT, at the same time parents need to be parents and keep an eye on their kids while they were on the net like they would when the kid is outside playing. I mean its up to the seller on whether or not to give the refund, but if the seller doesnt this should serve as a lesson that the parents need to take care of their business when it comes to their child especially on the internet because lets face it, they can get into as much, if not more , trouble on the net than they can playing outside.

RE: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - jaykayzee - 04-02-2013

I've heard this kind of story ALOT of times before this. I see so many different things that would have to happen for this situation to happen. It's just a classic fallback for "buyer's remorse".

Let's see :

- you didn't lock / turn off your computer.
- you left your Ebay account logged in.
- your child bid while noone was watching.
- you never noticed the bid on your account.
- you ignored the "bid confirmed" email you would have received.
- you didn't notice that you won an auction.
- you ignored the "Congratulations you've won this item" email you would have received.
- you left your Paypal account open / accessible to your minor child.
- you ignored the "receipt for your payment to..."email that you received when your child used your Paypal to pay for the item.
- you ignored the "Updates for your purchase from..."email that you received when the seller marked the item "sent".
- you waited a week after receiving item to contact seller about your minor child's lapse in judgement...

I try to be very understanding guy, but this is a time where I would simply advise the buyer that "You live, you learn." and tell them to enjoy the nice long talk I assume they are going to have with their child about responsibility.

My only worry is how this buyer is going to give you the sharp end of the stick with their feedback..

-

RE: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - roostersclassics11 - 04-02-2013

Even leaving your paypal open unless he knows your password its always logs out after a certain amount of time or atleast mine does

RE: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - kstjst - 04-02-2013

i like that response. and in the end, the parent was "okay" with me not accepting the item back.

(04-02-2013, 12:48 PM)geddon81 Wrote: this should serve as a lesson that the parents need to take care of their business when it comes to their child especially on the internet because lets face it, they can get into as much, if not more , trouble on the net than they can playing outside.

i used to worry about this...but with the way that ebay has their "bogus" feedback system, i could care less about it. my 4,000+ feedback speaks for itself. i did block them from bidding on my items again though...it's the least i could do for that parent Tongue

(04-02-2013, 01:00 PM)jaykayzee Wrote: My only worry is how this buyer is going to give you the sharp end of the stick with their feedback..

RE: though i feel sorry, i cannot be responsible - sensei322 - 04-02-2013

Just happened to me the other day. Frankly, if I was the parent, I wouldn't ask for a refund. I'd suck it up that my kids screwed up (if, in fact, that's the case...which I highly doubt) and I'd just try to re-sell it myself.