Beckett Message Boards
I know lots of people ask for 1/1 pricing..... - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: I know lots of people ask for 1/1 pricing..... (/thread-1521670.html)

I know lots of people ask for 1/1 pricing..... - joe callahan13 - 12-21-2012

....but Beckett "certified appraisals"? Am I insane? There's a reason the price guide is MONTHLY and the OPG is updated constantly. I hope these appraisals have dates on them. That way, when someone on Ebay or COMC or wherever expects me to pay anywhere close to the "appraised value", I can tell them why they wasted their money for getting an appraisal in the first place.

Analogy: I appraise Google's stock at $715.63 as of right now, and I will give it to you in writing. (Bad idea, but anyway...) How much weight do you figure that "appraisal" will carry in 3 months? Exactly.

RE: I know lots of people ask for 1/1 pricing..... - chibearsboy - 12-21-2012

what a joke.who would pay for that anyway?.....Hmmmm..
can i get a value for my cats,golf cart and woodstove too since he/she will be "appraising" stuff anyway?
Wink

RE: I know lots of people ask for 1/1 pricing..... - longhornnation - 12-21-2012

Especially at $15 a pop. It's a joke. Makes it sound like there is all kind of hidden card data that would make it more accurate than we could do on our own. I do my own appraisals, its called ebay completed listings....

RE: I know lots of people ask for 1/1 pricing..... - stevep0422 - 12-21-2012

I think as far as the hobby goes it is not worth much but I can see value in it as far as insuring your collection.

RE: I know lots of people ask for 1/1 pricing..... - robsvideos - 12-22-2012

Maybe they were thinking about sports memorabilia. And not cards per se. I didnt read the article so i can only assume.

RE: I know lots of people ask for 1/1 pricing..... - nolan5000 - 12-22-2012

(12-21-2012, 06:43 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: ....but Beckett "certified appraisals"? Am I insane? There's a reason the price guide is MONTHLY and the OPG is updated constantly. I hope these appraisals have dates on them. That way, when someone on Ebay or COMC or wherever expects me to pay anywhere close to the "appraised value", I can tell them why they wasted their money for getting an appraisal in the first place.

Analogy: I appraise Google's stock at $715.63 as of right now, and I will give it to you in writing. (Bad idea, but anyway...) How much weight do you figure that "appraisal" will carry in 3 months? Exactly.

I just looked at it and they gave a Bonus b/c the Vick card was serial #'ed to his jersey #.

RE: I know lots of people ask for 1/1 pricing..... - jacobystealshome - 12-22-2012

(12-21-2012, 09:12 PM)stevep0422 Wrote: I think as far as the hobby goes it is not worth much but I can see value in it as far as insuring your collection.

bingo

but as a professional appraiser, i can do exactly what they would do to suss out the price - as can any of you. the process isnt hard. but they have "authority", so a cert from is worth more than from me

but ill only charge 10 dollars, and provide documentation in <i>HOW</i> i came to the price

(my usual rate is 65/hour)