Beckett Message Boards
What a mess my collection is! - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What a mess my collection is! (/thread-1519447.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What a mess my collection is! - mjmj1966 - 11-22-2012

I've been trying very hard to get my card collection in order and have noticed that there is to rhyme or reason to what I have collected. I just like too many things. For example, I have player collections started, sets finished and unfinished, a vintage collection, a Phillies pc, a Flyers pc, hockey and football cards, and a graded RC collection. Sure, I have a lot of cards but it's a total disgrace. My wife has told me many times that if I would have focused on 1 or 2 things I would have a nice collection of something.

I must say that I have hugh respect for the collectors that I see that focus on a particular set, player, year, or team. How do you do it?

I'm making a promise to myself and my wife, who supports whatever I do no matter how insane it sounds, that I will focus on 1 or 2 of the things I started in the first paragraph for 2013. If I fail I will be done completely. I don't want to be this stressed out again.

Thanks for listening and any help on staying focused is greatly appreciated.

Mike

RE: What a mess my collection is! - Haze28 - 11-22-2012

I am/was the same way. I have gotten better recently, I stopped collecting football, hockey and basketball. I have started player pc's of just 4 players and this coming year I will be focusing on just 3 different products instead of buying whatever looked cool or was on sale. I've been on vacation this whole week and I have started sorting everything I have and am going to start selling everything I don't need.

RE: What a mess my collection is! - beginesj - 11-22-2012

Mine org is messed up right now. However I just limited to to mini sets and just my top five favorite players otherwise I would be broke. You right there alot great players I like (past, present and future). What I had to do is take step back and think of five players I love not just the players that have great BV.

RE: What a mess my collection is! - nolan5000 - 11-22-2012

I have collected strictly Nolan Ryan since the summer of 1990.

RE: What a mess my collection is! - jonathani - 11-22-2012

The want/have lists in org have saved my collections from getting too out of control.

RE: What a mess my collection is! - rmpaq5 - 11-22-2012

I am also a "hoarder collector." What is worse that because I moved, and half my collection was in storage, newly acquired items, and now that the move is complete reno is going on where I intend to organize, sort, and maintain my collection...most of my stuff is totally unsorted and EVERYWHERE in different boxes. I have decided to focus totally on baseball and trade away or give to the kids at the school I teach all my hockey, basketball and football (except for my LIons). I've even posted give away stuff I have found in boxes on the wrestling and non-sport boards. As soon as I get my basement I will probably stop acquiring for a long period while I sort and organize. Who am I kidding that is never going to happen, the next 5000 count mystery box I see for ten bucks is mine! Smile

RE: What a mess my collection is! - zeprock - 11-22-2012

(11-22-2012, 10:21 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: ... the next 5000 count mystery box I see for ten bucks is mine! Smile

Welcome to my world. At least I'm organized. Being a bit OCD helps.

RE: What a mess my collection is! - uvaspina - 11-22-2012

I started off on the wrong foot (buying boxes and collecting too much different stuff), but after after a while, I decided to actively collect 3 players (Verlander, Cabrera, Stanton) and passively collect Maybin. I've built up 4 respectable PCs in about a year. It's made a big difference and I enjoy my collections a lot better. For me, it was simply getting too hectic when I'd buy box after box and get a decent auto or 2, but then have a bunch of stuff that was a pain to organize and difficult to trade. Now, I'll spend a few hundred bucks a month on ebay/marketplace and try to knock out my mini collection goals. Right now, I'm trying to collect all the chrome gold cards of my PC guys (about halfway there). I'm also trying to collect all of Verlander's official RCs (31/46).

Having been in your situation, my advice would be to pick something and try to stick with it. -You can always shift gears down the line. But at least you'll get somewhere. Just my two cents. Good luck!

RE: What a mess my collection is! - DrMitchJ - 11-22-2012

(11-22-2012, 05:55 PM)mjmj1966 Wrote: I've been trying very hard to get my card collection in order and have noticed that there is to rhyme or reason to what I have collected. I just like too many things.

Thanks for listening and any help on staying focused is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Can't help you, because I'm in the same boat, except I just focus on baseball.
A friend of mine just collects rookie cards. Period. And only vintage stuff. His collection fits in a large box. Easy/manageable and he's got a valuable collection that he enjoys and his wife tolerates (which can be very important)

Me? I'm collecting several different players, teams, sets, etc. I'm all over the place. If I finish a player collection, I'm off on my next quest. I can't figure out how to organize and minimize. I guess selling and trading would help to narrow it down a bit, but honestly, I still don't know how to even initiate a trade on this site.

Mitch

RE: What a mess my collection is! - waynetalger - 11-23-2012

I am just like you but I organize my box breaks and pack breaks before I buy another box.
I just wish I can get more trades done so I can keep room for my future breaks.