Beckett Message Boards
PirateFest - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: PirateFest (/thread-1518568.html)

PirateFest - fulltritty - 11-12-2012

Out of curiosity, is anyone going to this year's PirateFest or been to them in the past?

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/pit/fan_forum/piratefest.jsp

I'm not a Pirates fan, but I am a fan of baseball memorabilia and it seems it $12 plus the cost of buying baseballs can't be beat for autographs, I believe at last year's event they had about 20 current and former players. I'll probably go on Saturday so I can have a day to rest after the long drive.

RE: PirateFest - nyyankeesfan28 - 11-12-2012

I have never gone to PirateFest, but being a San Diegan, I go to PadreFest, not my team, but free admission and free autos is something I'll take any day. They have two players in each of four seating sections and the players change every half hour. I'm guessing PirateFest will be similarly set up, if so, you'll enjoy it.

RE: PirateFest - jimfalbo21 - 11-12-2012

(11-12-2012, 05:59 AM)fulltritty Wrote: Out of curiosity, is anyone going to this year's PirateFest or been to them in the past?

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/pit/fan_forum/piratefest.jsp

I'm not a Pirates fan, but I am a fan of baseball memorabilia and it seems it $12 plus the cost of buying baseballs can't be beat for autographs, I believe at last year's event they had about 20 current and former players. I'll probably go on Saturday so I can have a day to rest after the long drive.

The set-up is one big table w/ usually 4 signers at a time, some former Buccos who have been guests in the past are AL Oliver, Bob Friend, ElRoy Face, Van Slyke was there last year, Madlock cancelled last year, Steve Blass, Jim Rooker, Doug Drabek, Mike Lavalliere, Bob Walk, maybe Dave Giusti? Andrew McCutchen has attended the past 3 years...Neil Walker is always there, as is Hanrahan (if he's not traded)...really about 2/3 of the team will be there.

I've gone each of the past 3 years, last year I got a chance to meet Andy Van Slyke for the first time so that was pretty sweet! Unfortunately you'll be waiting in long lines all day to get autographs if that's what you're going for...Usually I just wait in line for my one main guy, and maybe another line later in the day...I usually move around and get guys signing as they do different events and interviews etc. That being said, I have gone to dozens of Pirates games the past few seasons, and have traveled the past 2 Spring Training camps, so my sense of urgency is obviously not there. If you go for say McCutchen, make sure you get in line at least 2 hours before he signs, or else you won't have a chance. The table is usually one per, sometimes you can get a team postcard too: like this:

[Image: 019-3.jpg]

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help

RE: PirateFest - nyyankeesfan28 - 11-12-2012

Those are nice postcards. They remind me of a cross between 1969 and 1972 Topps.

They're nice, I have a few extra for trade...if you're interested I'll dig them out and let you know who I have available

RE: PirateFest - fulltritty - 11-12-2012

Sounds like a good event; way better than the WCBS Yankees FanFest I went to earlier! I'll bring a bunch of baseballs and see what happens. I would love to get McCutchen and maybe Burnett if he is still with the team. My Mom used to love the Pirates in the 70s and she still has an autographed picture of Willie Stargell on the wall that a friend was able to get her back when he was alive. I figure I'll go up early and take some pictures of trains in the area (my other hobby) and then hit the event and hope for some good autographs. It seems you can't beat it for the money. I'm hoping the Orioles have there fanfest here in Baltimore again instead of down in Florida so I can go to that event for the first time.

you'll have a good time!
although the fan/front office Q&A can be ugly, I'm sure you can imagine

RE: PirateFest - yankeescop - 11-13-2012

(11-12-2012, 06:49 PM)fulltritty Wrote: Sounds like a good event; way better than the WCBS Yankees FanFest I went to earlier! I'll bring a bunch of baseballs and see what happens. I would love to get McCutchen and maybe Burnett if he is still with the team. My Mom used to love the Pirates in the 70s and she still has an autographed picture of Willie Stargell on the wall that a friend was able to get her back when he was alive. I figure I'll go up early and take some pictures of trains in the area (my other hobby) and then hit the event and hope for some good autographs. It seems you can't beat it for the money. I'm hoping the Orioles have there fanfest here in Baltimore again instead of down in Florida so I can go to that event for the first time.

Baltimore had a fanfest this past winter in Baltimore. It was horrible. charged you to get in then charged for autographs and the employees running it were horrible too. I had to fight with them to allow me to accompany my six year old up to get his autographs.

RE: PirateFest - nickkniseley - 11-14-2012

Really wish I could go this year, too bad I work that weekend and moved out to Ohio this past year from PA. Makes getting to Pittsburgh a little more difficult!