Beckett Message Boards
Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC (/thread-1515185.html)

Pages: 1 2

Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - mlaw1992 - 09-30-2012

Hello,

As a re-entry into the hobby after nearly 20 years out of the game, I'm looking to pick the brains of the experienced collectors on the board.

Previously, I asked about the use of magnetic card cases. Tonight, I want to get opinions on the best way to take photos of your cards that you would like to upload and image on your PC. I would like to get the portion of my better cards for viewing on the Beckett site, etc.

Are there any tricks to make this process more efficient other than taking pictures with your camera phone or digital camera? Any type of scanning devices out there on printers that do good?

I have one front image of a hockey card I attached to this post using my Android phone if it worked correctly. The back of the card pic was way too large for some reason, so not included.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

- Law

RE: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - Krangry - 09-30-2012

I got a canon pixma printer scanner from walmart for 30$. Thing is awesome. Takes beautiful scans, and is quick.

RE: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - mlaw1992 - 09-30-2012

(09-30-2012, 11:09 PM)Krangry Wrote: I got a canon pixma printer scanner from walmart for 30$. Thing is awesome. Takes beautiful scans, and is quick.

That's Excellent news. I had a Canon Pixma I gave to my brother, but have another pretty nice all-in-one printer that should do the trick. I've not tried to scan yet, so wasn't sure if it would work well with the cards.

Thanks Krangry!

- Law

RE: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - zeprock - 10-01-2012

I have a Kodak All in one printer/copier/scanner that I use. I scan at high resolution (600 dpi) and then make more adjustments in Adobe PhotoShop and reduce the size of the files before posting them on my personal website. To get an idea of what they end up looking like you can view images of my cards here: http://www.zeprock.com/Gallery.html

RE: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - crazyforkinsler5 - 10-01-2012

I just use a scanner for my single shots and a camera for my group shots. I don't go too into detail. I just wanted to get them scanned/photographed and uploaded to image sites (like photobucket) and get them on here as quickly as possible.

BTW, attachments don't work on this site and I am not even sure why they have that as an option to put pictures. The best way is to upload your pictures to photobucket (or another photo-hosting site) and copy/paste the codes into the body of the text.

RE: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - Texan1985 - 10-01-2012

I have found that combo printer/scanners don't do as well as a stand-alone scanner. I picked up an old scanner from Craigslist for $15 and it gives me the best pictures, especially for graded cards. I have found several people selling their older stand-alone scanners because their computers do not support the old drivers. Most of these issues can be worked around with some help from Google.

RE: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - juda7 - 10-01-2012

Like stated in earlier posts, you can use PhotoBucket to upload your pics from whatever way you choose to get them onto your PC.
Here are some examples:
Scanned All In One HP
[Image: 01BCHAFNERGOLDFRONT.jpg]

Multi Card Scan All In One HP
[Image: beckett3.jpg]

Canon PowerShot
[Image: 014.jpg]

RE: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - showstopper2 - 10-01-2012

Use a scanner and take the cards out of the soft sleeves and top loaders. click on my banner to see my website with all the scans of my collection done this way. white border cards you should scan hood up then crop the photo after for best results. chrome cards and gold bordered cards can be difficult as they tend to come out dark. I still have to experiment with these a bit to find the best way to make them look like the original card.

RE: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - mlaw1992 - 10-01-2012

(10-01-2012, 11:07 AM)zeprock Wrote: I have a Kodak All in one printer/copier/scanner that I use. I scan at high resolution (600 dpi) and then make more adjustments in Adobe PhotoShop and reduce the size of the files before posting them on my personal website. To get an idea of what they end up looking like you can view images of my cards here: http://www.zeprock.com/Gallery.html

Thanks Zeprock! Very cool site. I know you put a lot of work into building it. I will enjoy browsing thru the memories of those players and their cards.

- Law
(10-01-2012, 11:32 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I just use a scanner for my single shots and a camera for my group shots. I don't go too into detail. I just wanted to get them scanned/photographed and uploaded to image sites (like photobucket) and get them on here as quickly as possible.

BTW, attachments don't work on this site and I am not even sure why they have that as an option to put pictures. The best way is to upload your pictures to photobucket (or another photo-hosting site) and copy/paste the codes into the body of the text.

CrazyforKinsler: I'm glad you said that b/c I've been trying to add attachments with little success. That will definitely save me a lot of wasted time in the future.

Thanks for the help and Go Rangers!

- Law
(10-01-2012, 12:29 PM)Texan1985 Wrote: I have found that combo printer/scanners don't do as well as a stand-alone scanner. I picked up an old scanner from Craigslist for $15 and it gives me the best pictures, especially for graded cards. I have found several people selling their older stand-alone scanners because their computers do not support the old drivers. Most of these issues can be worked around with some help from Google.

Texan1985: That's good to know. I've got an old stand alone under the bed I think. If I don't have success with my Lexmark, I will break that out. Very nice collection of cards btw.

- Law
(10-01-2012, 02:06 PM)juda7 Wrote: Like stated in earlier posts, you can use PhotoBucket to upload your pics from whatever way you choose to get them onto your PC.
Here are some examples:
Scanned All In One HP
[Image: 01BCHAFNERGOLDFRONT.jpg]

Multi Card Scan All In One HP
[Image: beckett3.jpg]

Canon PowerShot
[Image: 014.jpg]

Thanks Juda7! Love those images and awesome card of Pronk!

- Law

RE: Best Practice for imaging cards on PC - keyser soze - 10-02-2012

I find this process easiest.

1) Scan your cards, make sure they're lined up straight because rotating them is a PITA
2) Create a card pic folder and save the files to your PC
3) Use Paint to crop each card in the scan and indivually save each one
4) Upload all of them to photobucket at one time
5) Then use Photobucket to resize them to their 320x240 setting and move to the correct Photobucket folder

Good luck and welcome back! The hobby is just as addicting now as it was then, except we (hopefully) have more money and more choices!

And if you don't want to mess with a scanner, just snap pics with your iPhone and upload them to the Photobucket app, make sure you change the upload settings to resize them to somewhere around that 320x240 or 400x400 setting