Beckett Message Boards
(Auction over, updated) Dont you hate it when..... - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: (Auction over, updated) Dont you hate it when..... (/thread-1512678.html)

Pages: 1 2

(Auction over, updated) Dont you hate it when..... - creativemunky - 09-03-2012

(O.T.) Dont you hate it when.....
There a card you want really badly for your collection and it seems everyone and their mother is bidding....EVEN 4 DAYS BEFORE IT ENDS!

What is the point of that? Usually a sniper grabs it at the end anyway. Why do these people bid days in advance? Argh

RE: (O.T.) Dont you hate it when..... - ktcardshop - 09-03-2012

(09-03-2012, 12:03 PM)creativemunky Wrote: (O.T.) Dont you hate it when.....
There a card you want really badly for your collection and it seems everyone and their mother is bidding....EVEN 4 DAYS BEFORE IT ENDS!

What is the point of that? Usually a sniper grabs it at the end anyway. Why do these people bid days in advance? Argh

They like to start a bidding war?

Bid near the end and make the bid high enough so nobody will outbid you (2 to 3X). That way the people sniping won't have enough time to rebid.

Ray

RE: (O.T.) Dont you hate it when..... - creativemunky - 09-03-2012

(09-03-2012, 04:09 PM)ktcardshop Wrote: They like to start a bidding war?

Bid near the end and make the bid high enough so nobody will outbid you (2 to 3X). That way the people sniping won't have enough time to rebid.

Ray

That would be the idea....but the card in the last 45 minutes during my 5 mile run jumped up ANOTHER $150. God, looks like its not meant to be. Sad

RE: (O.T.) Dont you hate it when..... - bigguy219 - 09-03-2012

I try to bid it up days ahead of time.

Here's my logic.

The longer a card stays low, the more people think there's a chance at a 'steal' and watch the card. Over a period of days they get excited, imagine themselves owning the card, and gradually talk themselves into bidding more.

If I can bid the card up 4-6 days out, less people watch it, less people bid.

It's sort of like poker. If you've got AA or KK you bid strong pre-flop to knock out all of the 56 suited and eliminate the threat of someone getting lucky and picking up a straight or a flush on you.

RE: (Auction over, updated) Dont you hate it when..... - creativemunky - 09-03-2012

Well....it over now. I was hoping it would stay around $700-$800.
Nope:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&autorefresh=true&item=140837750721&nma=true&rt=nc&si=h8sKFl1zEVpeDARWzIU%252Bl%252Bm4%252BjI%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

RE: (Auction over, updated) Dont you hate it when..... - bigguy219 - 09-03-2012

Nice Comiskey.

Are you in the market for a $700-$800 Commie?

There are some more reasonable options on the market.

RE: (Auction over, updated) Dont you hate it when..... - pyr0punk - 09-03-2012

if you were hoping for $700-$800 and someone was willing to pay $1600+ you werent going to win the card regardless of when it was being bid on. sorry for you luck

RE: (Auction over, updated) Dont you hate it when..... - creativemunky - 09-03-2012

(09-03-2012, 07:27 PM)pyr0punk Wrote: if you were hoping for $700-$800 and someone was willing to pay $1600+ you werent going to win the card regardless of when it was being bid on. sorry for you luck

Yes. Thats obvious.
Was just getting annoyed at the bidders that bid it up to $500-$700 with days left. None of them won the auction so their jacking up the price was pointless.

RE: (Auction over, updated) Dont you hate it when..... - 86champs - 09-03-2012

(09-03-2012, 08:23 PM)creativemunky Wrote: Yes. Thats obvious.
Was just getting annoyed at the bidders that bid it up to $500-$700 with days left. None of them won the auction so their jacking up the price was pointless.

and you miss the whole point of a auction. If they bid 500-700 with days left that must have been what they were comfortable with paying for a piece of cardboard. What else did you expect from a card in this era?

RE: (Auction over, updated) Dont you hate it when..... - pyr0punk - 09-03-2012

(09-03-2012, 08:30 PM)86champs Wrote: and you miss the whole point of a auction. If they bid 500-700 with days left that must have been what they were comfortable with paying for a piece of cardboard. What else did you expect from a card in this era?

+1
I understand being annoyed at an auction but I dont understand why being outbid day 1 or the last second is any difference in the matter.