Beckett Message Boards
1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: 1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor (/thread-1512167.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor - goldcoin2012 - 08-29-2012

I have this card and i am thinking of getting it graded it has a refractor line and refractor dot. I have seen beckett grade these refractor 9.5 with these flaws . what are your thoughts on what it might grade with these flaws? card has perfect edges corners and centering

RE: 1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor - kevinr - 08-29-2012

Can you post some scans of it???

RE: 1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor - goldcoin2012 - 08-29-2012

(08-29-2012, 10:57 PM)kevinr Wrote: Can you post some scans of it???

i have no idea how to post scans to the forum. i just want to know with the refractor line what are my chances of receiving a 9 or 9.5

RE: 1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor - got watcha want - 08-29-2012

Yes it will... there is a slight refractor line on my MJ from 93-94 and it got a BGS 9 overall and got an 8 on the surface grade. I had a Nash RC refractor from that chrome and it got an 8.5 because of a low surface grade due to a refractor line as well.

That MJ is selling well enough raw...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-97-Topps-Chrome-REFRACTOR-Michael-Jordan-/190716362315?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item2c6794be4b

And here is what a BGS 8 brought... that could happen to yours with more than one surface flaw.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-97-Michael-Jordan-139-Topps-Chrome-Refractor-BGS-8-Super-Rare-/130742852779?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item1e70e19cab

RE: 1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor - pingbling23 - 08-30-2012

if it has a refractor line and dot, do not get it graded. it will more then likely kill the surface grade. lets see some scans of that bad boy.

RE: 1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor - goldcoin2012 - 08-30-2012

(08-30-2012, 06:53 AM)pingbling23 Wrote: if it has a refractor line and dot, do not get it graded. it will more then likely kill the surface grade. lets see some scans of that bad boy.

but i have seen BGS 9.5 with the same flaws. I even saw a PSA 10 Kobe refractor on ebay that has a refractor line in it. were these cards just over graded and just got lucky grades? If a avrage joe like me sends my jordan refractor in to BGS what are my chances at a 9?

RE: 1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor - got watcha want - 08-30-2012

(08-30-2012, 09:26 AM)goldcoin2012 Wrote: but i have seen BGS 9.5 with the same flaws. I even saw a PSA 10 Kobe refractor on ebay that has a refractor line in it. were these cards just over graded and just got lucky grades? If a avrage joe like me sends my jordan refractor in to BGS what are my chances at a 9?

I am an average joe and I got an 8.5 on my Nash... grade it, but be prepared to remove it from the slab if it gets lower than an 8.5. An 8.5 might even hurt the sell value on that one versus raw?

If you can see it, it will detract from the grade. I get mainly 9's and 9.5's on my last couple if BGS submissions because I am so picky on what I submit. The only grades I usually get that I am not happy with have to do with that surface subgrade. Centering and surface carry more weight than the corners and edges when they determine overall grade. I sent 3 diffierent Kobe base RC's from that set before I finally got this below....all because of centering and surface grades.
[Image: Kobechrome.jpg]

Centering and surface are hard to get good grades on that set as it is. I couldn't help more without a scan or good pic of your card.

(08-30-2012, 10:03 AM)got watcha want Wrote: I am an average joe and I got an 8.5 on my Nash... grade it, but be prepared to remove it from the slab if it gets lower than an 8.5. An 8.5 might even hurt the sell value on that one versus raw?

If you can see it, it will detract from the grade. I get mainly 9's and 9.5's on my last couple if BGS submissions because I am so picky on what I submit. The only grades I usually get that I am not happy with have to do with that surface subgrade. Centering and surface carry more weight than the corners and edges when they determine overall grade. I sent 3 diffierent Kobe base RC's from that set before I finally got this below....all because of centering and surface grades.
[Image: Kobechrome.jpg]

Centering and surface are hard to get good grades on that set as it is. I couldn't help more without a scan or good pic of your card.

ok but my question why have some of these 1996 chrome refractors received 9.5 and PSA 10's with refractor lines and surface issues?

RE: 1996 topps chrome michael jordan refractor - xstreaminsanity - 08-30-2012

(08-30-2012, 10:11 AM)goldcoin2012 Wrote: ok but my question why have some of these 1996 chrome refractors received 9.5 and PSA 10's with refractor lines and surface issues?

Because they aren't always done by the same grader. While they all go through the same course, there doesn't seem to be a "double" check by another grader. This could POSSIBLY be because with as many submissions as they get and the time limit given (some people sending in for two day services), they may not have the time for double checking the cards with multiple graders.

(08-30-2012, 10:15 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: Because they aren't always done by the same grader. While they all go through the same course, there doesn't seem to be a "double" check by another grader. This could POSSIBLY be because with as many submissions as they get and the time limit given (some people sending in for two day services), they may not have the time for double checking the cards with multiple graders.

so then theres a chance i could get a 9 or 9.5 then? if sent it a Jordan or kobe with a refractor line or refractor dot