Beckett Message Boards
Home Town players? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Home Town players? (/thread-1506186.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Home Town players? - aktlingit - 07-08-2012

Marshall Boze - few years older than me and it was a very small town so we all knew about him getting drafted by the Brewers. He made it to the pros for 25 games in 1996.

I've got some of his cards - very cool to see "Soldotna, AK" listed on the back Smile I've thought about trying to get them all - only like 20 different cards.

I don't live there anymore though - just grew up there.

RE: Home Town players? - duke4439 - 07-08-2012

Jeff Reed, Daniel Norris!! ALso Jason Witten (football player)

RE: Home Town players? - shaunbaus - 07-08-2012

Interesting thread. Only one that I can think of from my town is Chris Resop, pitcher for the Pirates. Not from here but Chris Sale pitched for a college not too far from me, and Daniel Vogelbach of the Cubs is from the next city up.

RE: Home Town players? - jtwellsnyy51188 - 07-08-2012

(07-08-2012, 01:41 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: Some bigger cities have better odds. as with my area population is around 20,000. but tra thomas was in the nfl a few years back.

I know what you mean, I'm from a small town, it's a popular vacation spot put a smaller population of locals. Ross gload graduated with probably 150 people. Where Yaz is from, my dad went to school there, graduated 22 people. It's a big deal for smaller towns.
(07-08-2012, 02:49 PM)aktlingit Wrote: Marshall Boze - few years older than me and it was a very small town so we all knew about him getting drafted by the Brewers. He made it to the pros for 25 games in 1996.

I've got some of his cards - very cool to see "Soldotna, AK" listed on the back Smile I've thought about trying to get them all - only like 20 different cards.

I don't live there anymore though - just grew up there.

Yea, it's pretty cool. Not all of Ross Gload's cards say it but some do, "East Hampton, Ny". He's the only person I'm aware of to ever make it to the bigs and stay around for awhile.

RE: Home Town players? - the cardboard fan - 07-08-2012

People from big metros don't count, lol

Players aren't really from there half the time anyways just from some smaller suburb within an hour or two and like to claim something different

I am originally from the Columbus, GA/Phenix City, AL area

same as Frank Thomas, Tim Hudson, and Colby Rasmus to name a few

I now live in the Woodstock/Canton, GA area and my brother goes to the same high school as Nick Markakis did

RE: Home Town players? - jaredhuizenga - 07-08-2012

Tom Kelly was born in a small town 15 minutes away from the small town I grew up in (pop. 2,000) and former Packers' LB Mike Hunt (yeah, you can't make it up) graduated from my high school and was a coach for my team in h.s. I now live in Eden Prairie, Minn. and Twins pitcher Cole Devries grew up here.

RE: Home Town players? - stevep0422 - 07-08-2012

I went to high school with Lyle Overbay. We also had Bob Collucio play for the Brewers in the 70's and Jason Stumm with the White Sox although it was just for a cup of coffee, if that.

RE: Home Town players? - elfeo013 - 07-08-2012

Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, Erasmo Ramirez, Mark Trumbo, CJ Wilson, Gerard Laird. there's more i can't remember...

RE: Home Town players? - jhyde77 - 07-08-2012

I'm from Mobile, Alabama. The players that come to mind from my home town are Hank Aaron, Ozzie Smith, Willie McCovey, and Jake Peavy.

RE: Home Town players? - RobbinsDynasty - 07-08-2012

(07-08-2012, 02:41 PM)x yankeemike x Wrote: Justin Verlander
BJ Upton
Justin Upton
David Wright

Virginia Beach?