Beckett Message Boards
Sets/Products with different base variations. - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Sets/Products with different base variations. (/thread-1500060.html)

Sets/Products with different base variations. - xstreaminsanity - 05-17-2012

Does anyone know of any products/sets where there are two or more different versions of a base card? Not a parallel, but an actual variation to where you can have two of the same set, but with a different design?

RE: Sets/Products with different base variations. - leadmetogreatness - 05-17-2012

I think ud flight team rcs from 2001 have 3 different versions. Also topps bazooka I think had some variations ie home vs away.

RE: Sets/Products with different base variations. - xstreaminsanity - 05-17-2012

I know that 2003-04 Topps had variations for some of the RC from overseas, but I'm talking about the entire set.

The reason I'm asking is because unless I misunderstood the Panini Unwrapped 2011-12 Past & Present video, there may be four variations of each base card. Not parallels where each one is harder than the other to pull, but just a different look. If that's the case, I'd have to collect (OCD being the cause) four base sets, one for each variation. In the video, they talked about the four different designs (not including the SSPs like the Walton they pulled) and show them all. Later, they show two different Tyson Chandler cards (11:53 in the video). Now, there are two Chandlers in the base set, so maybe that's what they were, I don't know. But it made me curious if there were sets out there with variations that weren't parallels. Thanks.

RE: Sets/Products with different base variations. - bbills1999 - 05-17-2012

Murad has it for some of the Rookies in its Set

RE: Sets/Products with different base variations. - 34jacobt - 05-17-2012

What a bout topps gold label or flair showcase with the differant cards in each row or class

RE: Sets/Products with different base variations. - xstreaminsanity - 05-17-2012

(05-17-2012, 05:37 PM)34jacobt Wrote: What a bout topps gold label or flair showcase with the differant cards in each row or class

That is true.

RE: Sets/Products with different base variations. - taffster74 - 05-18-2012

I don't know if it's for all the cards but 1997-98 stadium Club had a variant on the stadium club hologram badge - I've got three ewing's all with the "stadium club" being centered differently. I've even seen cards from the same set with no "stadium club"" in the hologram. There's also 1997-98 Skybox I've got two base schrempfs and had two Mcgrady rookies with different shading on the foil. Is that OCD variant enough?!!! You've also got the SP/Retail versions of 2007-08 and 2008-09 SP Authentic, retail and hobby of 2007-08 Ultra SE, retail/hobby for 2009-10 Absolute Memorabilia and 2009-10 Donruss elite. Any further info needed, just ask me.

RE: Sets/Products with different base variations. - xstreaminsanity - 05-18-2012

(05-18-2012, 08:34 PM)taffster74 Wrote: I don't know if it's for all the cards but 1997-98 stadium Club had a variant on the stadium club hologram badge - I've got three ewing's all with the "stadium club" being centered differently. I've even seen cards from the same set with no "stadium club"" in the hologram. There's also 1997-98 Skybox I've got two base schrempfs and had two Mcgrady rookies with different shading on the foil. Is that OCD variant enough?!!! You've also got the SP/Retail versions of 2007-08 and 2008-09 SP Authentic, retail and hobby of 2007-08 Ultra SE, retail/hobby for 2009-10 Absolute Memorabilia and 2009-10 Donruss elite. Any further info needed, just ask me.

Eh, I don't count the retail/hobby variations per se. Because you can't pull a retail from a hobby. So that takes out Ultra, SP, Absolute and Elite. Now, the variation in foil, could that be from sun damage? Just curious, not saying it is. If it's like one is bronze and one is gold, that's interesting. As for the Stadium Club, I'd like to see scans. If that's the case, that's cool. Either it's a variant or a print error (not sure if the stamp is a separate part of the process).

RE: Sets/Products with different base variations. - taffster74 - 05-18-2012

Well, you have to understand with the SP, Ultra, Elite and absolute that there are significant differences in the cards that distinguish the two variants. So i go for both where i can... As to the skybox foils ... It's just a different shade of Gold, not sun exposure.

RE: Sets/Products with different base variations. - sky20t - 05-19-2012

I think the 2004 Skybox L.E hobby regular card is die-cut and the retail version is a non die-cut regular card .
the 2007-08 Sp Rookie Edition set has like 4 different throwback design taken from the 94, 95, 96 Spa sets.