Beckett Message Boards
Prices Change, Why - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Prices Change, Why (/thread-1499183.html)

Pages: 1 2

Prices Change, Why - skywalkb - 05-09-2012

How in the world can Altuve prices go down and Dee Gordon go up?
I would really like to see an on line rating that we could participate in that would happen say once a month. We could give our opinions of say 10 to 25 active players and rate from 1 to 10/25. I am not an ebay seller, just a collector and still don't understand how certain player's values change or not change. Beckett could use the the massive amount of knowledge that all of you have and put it to good use. Just think of the positive impact that would make on our collections. If a player has a hot spell and then turns into mush, Beckett could see it and make a price adjustment. If a player continues to put up good numbers, then do the same. Just too many times I have seen a players value go up and down without any good reasoning.

RE: Prices Change, Why - zmhower2469 - 05-09-2012

Its because altuve plays for the astros and dee gordon plays for the dodgers. More people want to buy and trade for dee gordon than altuve. its just supply and demand.

RE: Prices Change, Why - skywalkb - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 12:22 PM)zmhower2469 Wrote: Its because altuve plays for the astros and dee gordon plays for the dodgers. More people want to buy and trade for dee gordon than altuve. its just supply and demand.

Please explain why Martinez (astro) cards went up?

RE: Prices Change, Why - iconms - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 12:17 PM)skywalkb Wrote: How in the world can Altuve prices go down and Dee Gordon go up?
I would really like to see an on line rating that we could participate in that would happen say once a month. We could give our opinions of say 10 to 25 active players and rate from 1 to 10/25. I am not an ebay seller, just a collector and still don't understand how certain player's values change or not change. Beckett could use the the massive amount of knowledge that all of you have and put it to good use. Just think of the positive impact that would make on our collections. If a player has a hot spell and then turns into mush, Beckett could see it and make a price adjustment. If a player continues to put up good numbers, then do the same. Just too many times I have seen a players value go up and down without any good reasoning.

+1000

I don't know about specifics as far as Altuve/Gordon go but really agree with what you're generally saying. There is no rhyme or reason to a lot of price changes that I've come across too.

RE: Prices Change, Why - chevy man 22 - 05-09-2012

Because Martinez is hot and he's talked about in the media circles. A lot of activity you see in card prices are reflected in who's hot and who is mentioned on shows like MLB Tonight, Baseball Tonight, and Sports center. The More a players name is out there the more people who are going to want to collect that player.

Basically people want to collect players who they think they can buy cheap and flip for a profit down the road. Some will disagree with that but that's how I see it. Card collecting and I've said this before is much more like the stock market now days where you buy really low and sell for a profit the second the price goes up. Anyone who's collected for the last 5-10 years knows that a players Rc card will always bring premium return the first month or so after release then it's down hill from there. There is not a rookie card made today that will be worth more in 30-40 yrs. than it is right now. Simply because there are to many of them made and the ones that are made are treated like they are precious gems.

It's not like cards from the 60's and earlier where people handled them all the time, stuck rubber bands around them, put them in bicycle spokes. The reason cards from that era are so exspensive is because very few were made and from what was made even fewer survived in nrmt to mint condition. That's just never going to be the case with any of the modern stuff.

RE: Prices Change, Why - jonathani - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 12:22 PM)zmhower2469 Wrote: its just supply and demand.

Ditto.

JonathanI

RE: Prices Change, Why - thj0011 - 05-09-2012

I don't mind Altuve's card going down in price, let's me pick them up cheaper, ha.

RE: Prices Change, Why - jacobystealshome - 05-09-2012

it's supply and demand,. not statistical performance

RE: Prices Change, Why - skywalkb - 05-09-2012

This may help with, supply and demand, Gordon has 335 total cards andn Altuve has only 81

RE: Prices Change, Why - bryandavidknight - 05-10-2012

These prices are going crazy seems lately. I had a Jason Heyward auto go down from 200-80 in one month. That's a huge drop off for a card that's 2 years old even if he did have a bad year last year.