Beckett Message Boards
in need of advice on breaking a case - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Hockey (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: in need of advice on breaking a case (/thread-1487996.html)

in need of advice on breaking a case - benmitchell1024 - 02-21-2012

I usually buy 2 cases of cards per year and they are Upper Deck Series 1 and SP Authentic. Are these 2 cases a good decision? Do you recommend another kind? I obviously want to buy a case of The Cup but they are way to expensive.

RE: in need of advice on breaking a case - hockeyvadim - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 01:36 AM)benmitchell1024 Wrote: I usually buy 2 cases of cards per year and they are Upper Deck Series 1 and SP Authentic. Are these 2 cases a good decision? Do you recommend another kind? I obviously want to buy a case of The Cup but they are way to expensive.

I normally go with Artifacts and SPX. Artifacts cause of the decent game used stuff you get and SPX for the nice selection of rookies/autos/game used.

RE: in need of advice on breaking a case - dam1057 - 02-22-2012

Ii concur with Artifacts.

RE: in need of advice on breaking a case - madmack29 - 02-22-2012

Why are you buying the case? Trying to build a master set - return on investment (sell everything)? I know someone who is a set builder who does what you do - series 1 and SP Authentic.

I personally like Artifacts, especially this year with the number of hits that are in a box and how nice the hits seem to be. The obvious drawback here are redemptions.

I like Game Used cards over auto cards, so I would prefer maybe an SP Game Used over SP Authentic.

It all depends on what your end goal is. If you are looking to sell the cards for return on your money, the 2 you chose are pretty good bets.

Thanks,
Nathan

RE: in need of advice on breaking a case - bonnev659 - 02-23-2012

agree with madmack29, what are you going to do with your case after you open it

RE: in need of advice on breaking a case - benmitchell1024 - 02-23-2012

When I buy a case, I usually take the top cards and send them to Beckett for grading. I put all the commons in a box and truthfully, never look at them again. Sometimes, I take the graded cards and put them on ebay but I mostly just keep the top graded ones for my own personal collection. What about this Artifacts I am hearing about? I have never bought a box, do you think I should give it a shot? What is the difference between Artifacts and SPA?

RE: in need of advice on breaking a case - bonnev659 - 02-23-2012

I would say look at the the cards from the sell sheets and see if anything you enjoy looking at

SPA has Feature Watch patches and or rookie autos well Artifacts has rookie autographs /99

I came back to collecting in 10 after stopping in 98 so I am still catching up on cards

RE: in need of advice on breaking a case - tha penguin - 02-23-2012

My advice... send all of the Pens cards to me and the Norse Gods will give you immortality! Big Grin