Beckett Message Boards
BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Beckett Grading Services (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Beckett Grading Services (BGS) (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion (/thread-1487093.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion - nolan5000 - 02-26-2012

(02-26-2012, 11:23 AM)rusty222 Wrote: BGS made a big mistake using 9.5 in their grading system.

I couldn't disagree more.
(02-26-2012, 11:23 AM)rusty222 Wrote: If they want to help their business they should remove it and adopt the same grading scale as PSA but no chance of that happening.

Nor should they.

RE: BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion - rusty222 - 02-26-2012

(02-26-2012, 11:52 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I couldn't disagree more.

Nor should they.

Well I knew you would disagree with me but for me its easy decision. Assume we have a card that is really great condition with no apparent flaws. Do I send card to BGS to get a 9.5? Or do I send to PSA to get a 10 AND then have option to be able to sell it for 20-50% more? Hmmm. I think I am going to send it to PSA. In the process BGS has lost my business as PSA 10 will make the card more VALUABLE. But if you want to keep paying BGS to keep giving you those 9.5's then go right ahead.

(02-26-2012, 01:03 PM)rusty222 Wrote: Well I knew you would disagree with me but for me its easy decision. Assume we have a card that is really great condition with no apparent flaws. Do I send card to BGS to get a 9.5? Or do I send to PSA to get a 10 AND then have option to be able to sell it for 20-50% more? Hmmm. I think I am going to send it to PSA. In the process BGS has lost my business as PSA 10 will make the card more VALUABLE. But if you want to keep paying BGS to keep giving you those 9.5's then go right ahead.

Don't worry!! I will!! Just like you, it's an an easy decision for me!! I'm sticking with Beckett!!

(02-26-2012, 01:55 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Don't worry!! I will!! Just like you, it's an an easy decision for me!! I'm sticking with Beckett!!

Understood and well put! Also please calm down your exclamation points are scaring me. I don't want to feel responsible if you blow a cornea.

(02-26-2012, 02:29 PM)rusty222 Wrote: Understood and well put! Also please calm down your exclamation points are scaring me. I don't want to feel responsible if you blow a cornea.

How did you know that I don't blink my eyes? I have to literally stop and take time out and just blink ever so often.

(02-26-2012, 02:33 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: How did you know that I don't blink my eyes? I have to literally stop and take time out and just blink ever so often.

Yes, remember to always blink! I didn't realize I typed that LOL

(02-26-2012, 03:04 PM)rusty222 Wrote: Yes, remember to always blink! I didn't realize I typed that LOL

Thanks man. All of my ailments stem from my brain surgery that I had back in June of 2001.

RE: BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion - dougnash - 02-26-2012

(02-26-2012, 01:03 PM)rusty222 Wrote: Well I knew you would disagree with me but for me its easy decision. Assume we have a card that is really great condition with no apparent flaws. Do I send card to BGS to get a 9.5? Or do I send to PSA to get a 10 AND then have option to be able to sell it for 20-50% more? Hmmm. I think I am going to send it to PSA. In the process BGS has lost my business as PSA 10 will make the card more VALUABLE. But if you want to keep paying BGS to keep giving you those 9.5's then go right ahead.

The short version of why I'm in the BGS camp despite the $$ associated with PSA: PSA really p*ssed me off the first time I sent cards to them for grading...

The not really that long version: I couldn't decide to go with BGS or PSA for my first submission and they were both (as they always are) at the 2009 GBSCC show outside of Boston, MA. I chose PSA because they had more customers, were the original grader, and seemed most likely to be around/hold value for the next 25+ years. So I submitted 3 Arod 94 SP cards and 1 Jeter 93 SP, all personally pulled by me from packs(the Arods all from the same killer box!). Because I wasn't a member it set me back $60 total. It seemed really steep but I figured what the heck. My anxiously awaited cards finally came back in the mail. The results? Arod 7, Arod 8.5, and two evidence of trimming. WTF!! was my first reaction, and pretty much every other reaction after that. As Chris has pointed out many times on these boards, every grader can have a bad day, and eventually everyone will have their cards graded by a new grader. But to find evidence of trimming when I know there couldn't me really got me. It seemed to me at the time that either PSA graders were incompetent or someone wanted to leave early on Friday. Either way I basically paid $60 to have 2 cards graded with no chance of a refund. I haven't touched PSA since.

In retrospect the reverse could have easily happened, but my reality is I burned $30 with PSA and got a BGS 8.5 Arod and 9 Jeter for the same two cards. Eventually I'll try PSA again, especially since I have a bunch of clean HOF cards from 70-79, but for now I'm still holding my silent protest.

Maybe this wasn't so short; thanks for reading if you got this far...

Doug

RE: BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion - goodtricks - 02-29-2012

I think a big part of it is what you started collecting and for show and tell purposes. In my specific case I've only got back into the hobby in the past couple months. I've started with baseball cards from my youth. So far purchasing PSA graded Griffey, Bonds, Thomas rookies. I do not have plans of reselling, or atleast anytime soon. Now that I'm starting to collect football and more modern cards I'm just going to stick with PSA for the sake of consistency.

The PSA registry, like others have mentioned, is a draw as well.

RE: BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion - Vols-1 - 02-29-2012

What do you do if you buy a card that was PSA or BGS graded that turns out to be fake? I have seen quite a bit of cheaper off-brand cards graded that we're fake on eBay.