Beckett Message Boards
Recent iconic cards? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Recent iconic cards? (/thread-1486083.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Recent iconic cards? - dougnash - 02-10-2012

Let me preface this by saying I've only been back in the hobby for about 6 months after a 16 year hiatus so I write this with a slight bias. Anyway, it seems to me that the past 10 years have produced very few, if any, iconic cards. Even by today's collecting yardstick, the 80s its fair share of them, from 1980 Topps Henderson to the Mattinglys of 1984 to the modern grandaddy of them all, 1989 UD Griffey. The 90s had 93 SP Jeter and 94 SP Rodriguez (this is where I exited) and then Pujols has a couple cards I would consider iconic in 2001.

So my question to everyone is, beyond 2001, what's your example of the card that every collector must have (Bryce Harper does not count!)

-Doug

RE: Recent iconic cards? - jhyde77 - 02-10-2012

I don't think there are any cornerstone or must have cards from the past 10 years.

RE: Recent iconic cards? - djohn - 02-10-2012

One problem is that with so many different sets that came out each year in the 2000s there are fewer single cards that really stand out. For most of the 80s there were only 3 sets to chose from, and even in the 90s there were around a dozen sets each year. During the 2000s each card manufacturer made around a dozen sets. There are still a few that stick out for one reason or another but not quite the same as older cards. That being said I definitely think the 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols is iconic (even if most people will never own one). I also think the 2001 UD Prospect Premieres cards of David Wright and Ryan Howard could be another 2.

RE: Recent iconic cards? - alfredoleal2001 - 02-10-2012

2012 topps rally squirrel has become iconic, its talked about all over. Personally, I dont like/want it lol

RE: Recent iconic cards? - ricelynnevans75 - 02-10-2012

(02-10-2012, 11:30 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: I don't think there are any cornerstone or must have cards from the past 10 years.

I'm leaning towards this answer and a lot of it has to do with the post below hyde77's post. There were a lot of good cards produced in the last 10 years but I can't really think of anything "iconic".

RE: Recent iconic cards? - dougnash - 02-11-2012

(02-10-2012, 11:39 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I'm leaning towards this answer and a lot of it has to do with the post below hyde77's post. There were a lot of good cards produced in the last 10 years but I can't really think of anything "iconic".

I completly agree about the number of sets and proliferation of chase cards...anyone think it's partially due to the lack of collectible super stars? Once you get past Jeter and Pujols, who's left?

RE: Recent iconic cards? - waynetalger - 02-11-2012

I think Hosmer and Strasburg has a chance to be in the same catagory as Jeter, Pujols and A-rod but only time will tell
Also HOFers on card autos may become iconic for some collectors

RE: Recent iconic cards? - mnc99 - 02-11-2012

This is the only card I can think of..

[Image: Featured_card.jpg]

RE: Recent iconic cards? - chrisa19978 - 02-11-2012

You also have to realize it took some time for those cards to be icomic as well. I mean Brian Taylor was an Icon in 1992. So some of the newer player have not had the long careers when when you look back and say wow I remember that card. In 1993 I don't believe Derek Jeter was highly sought after. He did not become popular till I believe 1995. So if you pulled a 1993 SP Derek Jeter Rookie in 1993 you were not like wow I have a Derek Jeter card. My point is cards change all the time and from what it seems and has been brought up there making more sets but there are less production. This is why I will probably stop on the Derek Jeter collection at 1999 or 2000 as far as tring to get most of his cards. Something about him haveing 13,000 different cards leads me to believe I will never come close to owning all of them. I mean its bad enough looking how his cards have grown from 1992 where if you count the Highland Mint Coins for that year as its stated 1992-98 I believe there is 24, then 1993 was I believe 40, and kept moving up. Of the years I am collecting I think 1998 has the most with close to 700 different cards of his.

RE: Recent iconic cards? - mgruber2 - 02-11-2012

(02-11-2012, 02:44 AM)mnc99 Wrote: This is the only card I can think of..

[Image: Featured_card.jpg]

sweet Ruth!!