Beckett Message Boards
what I've learned about hockey collectng - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Hockey (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: what I've learned about hockey collectng (/thread-1483706.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

what I've learned about hockey collectng - swjrp10 - 01-30-2012

As most of you know, I just started getting into hockey. What I've noticed is, unlike almost every other sport, you hockey fans are some of the few that collecting is still like it was "back in the day." I know in football, if it's not outrageously low #ed, autographed, or memorabilia the cards aren't that valueable. But in hockey YGs are worth money and those ICE RCs are just obscenely expensive. I respect that about you all. I mean, if you bust a football box and don't pull an auto/relic, you're screwed because nothing else is worth money, but in hockey if you pull the right YG that one card could play for the box! Slowly but surely, I'm starting to take this mindset as well. Am I off base with this? Maybe I'm crazy!

RE: what I've learned about hockey collectng - bruinsfan08 - 01-30-2012

You hit the nail on the head, if you land the right base cards, they're worth the money. Pulling a Nugent-Hopkins RC out of a box of Score, pretty much pays for the box and then another. Same with the Young Guns. You can go small-time and still pull something big, it depends on the market, the season, the draft, but the last few years have been stellar.

RE: what I've learned about hockey collectng - Merovius - 01-30-2012

RNH is overvalued atm

RE: what I've learned about hockey collectng - bluefrozencanuck - 01-30-2012

Yes you pretty well got it right crack wax hoping for a big rookie hit. I like to chase the inserts non auto/memorabilia all world canvas ea etc.

RE: what I've learned about hockey collectng - dam1057 - 01-30-2012

Hockey is the best, for a number of reasons, much like you have pointed out.

RE: what I've learned about hockey collectng - filamuraireborn - 01-31-2012

This is why I tried 2010-11 Score. Hockey is fun!

RE: what I've learned about hockey collectng - scarc12 - 01-31-2012

I think another thing that makes Hockey collecting better, and I might be wrong, but there isnt any exclusivity in hockey. Like Topps has baseball, not sure about basketball or football, but I like that there are more options in hockey.

RE: what I've learned about hockey collectng - jarrett222 - 01-31-2012

UD had the Monopoly for long time before Panini cames in

RE: what I've learned about hockey collectng - rayeates - 01-31-2012

Most of us enjoy the sport the most about this end of the hobby, but that might be what drives the values of the cards up. We tend to collect teams that are close to home, or that house our favorite players. Plus it seems that the integral parts of hockey teams (Alfredsson, Lidstrom, Lundqvist, Iginla, Sedin's, Crosby, to name a few) tend to stay loyal to the teams they play for, and the fans stay loyal to them. Having player PCs will fire a desire into acquiring ANY card from that player's checklist... check pens fan addict's (Hugh's) Maxime Talbot collection for an example!!!

I personally collect Jaroslav Halak, and will trade for any of his cards that I need.

Randi

RE: what I've learned about hockey collectng - Ducks_Fan - 01-31-2012

I also think losing a season to a lockout helped the hobby. When you don't have hockey for a year, you really appreciate it a lot more when it is back!

I agree with what Randi says also, unfortunately my team is about as far away as it can be; Anaheim.

Many reasons why this sport is the best in the hobby of card collecting!