Beckett Message Boards
Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? (/thread-1483364.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - aprirr - 10-17-2012

I was lucky. There were only 3 baseball sets a year when I started collecting and only 8 or 9 when I shifted to basketball. But I had my fair share of Todd Van Poppels, Jerome Waltons, Todd Zeiles and John Oleruds.

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - daddys lil all star - 10-17-2012

for me it has been corey brown.. Can't seem to see if he is going to stay pro or career minor

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - stera8 - 10-17-2012

(10-17-2012, 02:40 AM)aprirr Wrote: I was lucky. There were only 3 baseball sets a year when I started collecting and only 8 or 9 when I shifted to basketball. But I had my fair share of Todd Van Poppels, Jerome Waltons, Todd Zeiles and John Oleruds.

I've always been a fan of John Olerud...

maybe it was the on field helmet

EDIT: omg... he suffered a brain aneursym in college and that is why he wore the helmet... wow thats so scary. I always thought it was just for extra protection at first due to wild balls or he was hit before... ya know?

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - mrdub - 10-17-2012

i suppose my Hank Blalock collection isnt quite as impressive as it used to be.

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - mlaw1992 - 10-17-2012

(01-28-2012, 07:17 PM)uvaspina Wrote: I'd like to hear from guys who started hoarding cards of Matt Bush, Casey Kotchman, Todd Van Poppel and company. Who did you think was a SURE thing who has turned out to be anything but? Anyone drop an embarrassing amount of money on a nobody? I bet there's some pretty funny 500ct RC boxes of Kaz Matsui and others hidden deep in some basements out there.

As for me, some would say that one of my PC guys -Cameron Maybin- is a bust and fits in this conversation. I still hold out hope for him putting it all together though. I'll give it a couple more years to see if he ever reaches his ceiling.

When I think of biggests busts of all time, I think of Brien Taylor of the Yankees. I didn't drop a load of money on him, as I was a youth but remember waiting year after year for him to make his mark.

It appears he's had a very rough ride ever since culminating in an arrest for dealing crack cocaine to a UC over the Summer.

What a shame as it sounds like he was a good guy who had some really bad luck: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/10/brien-taylor-from-top-mlb-prospect-to-top-suspect/.

Honorable mention: Kijana Carter rb of Penn State.

- Law

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - jaredhuizenga - 10-17-2012

I went pretty heavy in on Matt Anderson. Not to an extreme level, but I've moved quite a few and still have quite a few left. Luckily, the person who sold them to me must have seen the writing on the wall and didn't fleece me too bad. The same could be said for Adam Johnson ... maybe I should rethink this whole Max Kepler collection I started.

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - stera8 - 10-17-2012

Eventhough you cannot really count him as a prospect since he lied on his birth certificate and he came from another country..

Orlando Hernandez.

I think I have all of his topps Tek cards. He was awesome...then I dont know I started to think he was a jerk

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - cdillon17 - 10-17-2012

Gregg Jefferies, Matt Nokes, Mike Greenwell, Ellis Burks

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on? - aprirr - 10-17-2012

(10-17-2012, 07:34 AM)stera8 Wrote: I've always been a fan of John Olerud...

maybe it was the on field helmet

EDIT: omg... he suffered a brain aneursym in college and that is why he wore the helmet... wow thats so scary. I always thought it was just for extra protection at first due to wild balls or he was hit before... ya know?

Wow, I didn't know that was the reason for the helmet. Learn something new every day!