Beckett Message Boards
Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection (/thread-1475525.html)

Pages: 1 2

Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection - rueben - 01-19-2012

Sorry to ask, but would love if anyone has any thoughts/advice for me. I am a retired school teacher and looking for something to do with my extra time. I saw the $68,000 football card collection on Ebay the other day and it has peaked my interest. I would post the link, but the board pulls my forum post if I post a link. The collection has a ton of rookies, autos, etc. I was thinking it could easily be something where I could land some standout cards and sell the rest and probably get most of my money back. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice. I've looked up prices and it just seems like a good deal, but I just can't figure out why it never sells. Thanks

RE: Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection - chads-cards - 01-19-2012

I have thought about buying it aswell...I came up with a number in my head and talked to my dad about it and we think we would pay 40 for it. Its not something that should be sold on ebay anyway. Thats why its not selling...not too many people wont drop 68k on cards at one time.

RE: Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection - warcraftin - 01-19-2012

Really amazing collection, I don't think a lot of people want to throw 68k out in one shot on some cards. If you want to be some sort of dealer and open your own shop that is a very nice inventory to start you off.

You know what truthfully if that collection came in our shop id probably only step up to 25...I think 68 there would not be much wiggle room.

RE: Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection - rueben - 01-19-2012

(01-19-2012, 02:28 AM)chads-cards Wrote: I have thought about buying it aswell...I came up with a number in my head and talked to my dad about it and we think we would pay 40 for it. Its not something that should be sold on ebay anyway. Thats why its not selling...not too many people wont drop 68k on cards at one time.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think the stuff is real or is there anything fishy going on with it? For me, it is perfect since it gives me something to do with cards, get some nice stuff, and not spend a ton when it is all said and done since I can sell most of it for my money back.

(01-19-2012, 02:31 AM)rueben Wrote: Thanks for the advice. Do you think the stuff is real or is there anything fishy going on with it? For me, it is perfect since it gives me something to do with cards, get some nice stuff, and not spend a ton when it is all said and done since I can sell most of it for my money back.

dont pay 68 for it for sure...id email the guy and talk to him about his price and what he did you figure it out...if 68k is based on market value or book value. Its surely is a nice collection but thats a lot of cash just to stick out there

RE: Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection - mrgonzodad - 01-19-2012

That's the most impressive pile of cardboard I've ever seen. If I had money coming out of my wazoo, I would probably go 42k-45k. Piecing it out would take quite a while, but I think most if not all of that $$$ is there in about 70-80% of the cards listed. I saw about 8 cards that would get you 9k-14k back in resale within a week of offering them up for sale (that's just "modern" rcs/autos). Lombardi, Al Davis, and a freaking RED GRANGE autograph.
68 large is probably the price dude is comfortable with after fees (and taxes? IDK how that works).
I think if the seller has that kind of collection, he is bored, and satisfied with what he has in his possession. No need to sell if you have that kind of disposable income, just kinda wants to IMO. Unless he is going to have his big toes, thumbs and unmentionables cut off by kung fu assassins hired by the Swede mafia. (Swede crime syndicate is huge on the west coast)

RE: Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection - warcraftin - 01-19-2012

(01-19-2012, 02:31 AM)chads-cards Wrote: You know what truthfully if that collection came in our shop id probably only step up to 25...

lol

RE: Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection - pgrinpdt - 01-19-2012

That collection would be very easy to price because he basically lists every card you are going to get. If you price it out and you could sell them individually and make a $10-$15k profit that is a heck of a deal. I would if I had $40-50k laying around.

RE: Need Advice On Huge Football Card Collection - phinzphan1372 - 01-19-2012

(01-19-2012, 02:31 AM)chads-cards Wrote: You know what truthfully if that collection came in our shop id probably only step up to 25...I think 68 there would not be much wiggle room.

for 68k I would have to pick it up in person.... fly out to where it is catalog it load it on a truck and drive it home... I would only pay after seeing the cards personally... I thnk at 68k you should have that right no matter where it is listed or sold Smile