Beckett Message Boards
That signing was a waste of money - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: That signing was a waste of money (/thread-1475445.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

That signing was a waste of money - crazyforkinsler5 - 01-18-2012

The Rangers just signed Darvish a few minutes ago. Basically the deal is 6 years, $111 million. It breaks down to $51.7 million to negotiate with him and the actual contract is 6 years and $60 million.

That's an absolute waste of cash in my opinion. I had hoped the Rangers were smarter than this. Darvish has been pitching in Japan. The world's best hitters are in the major leagues. So Darvish hasn't faced talent like he'll see in the MLB.

I know he had a miniscule ERA in Japan and struck out all these guys in so many innings. But if they were that great then why weren't they in the MLB.

And by the way I'm glad the Rangers aren't going to sign Fielder now. That's another waste of cash. Fielder will only be healthy for another 4-5 years at the most because of his weight. So it would've been a waste.

Darvish's signing means Feliz goes back to the pen where he belongs and some team will get Ogando at a steal. He was a solid pitcher and getting stronger since it was his first year out of the pen. Now someone will pick him up and the Rangers will get nothing in return. They still need to sign Oswalt to have a solid No. 1 until this unproven Japanese guy proves himself against MLB hitters.

Dang I'm upset right now. Sorry for the rant. Your thoughts?

RE: That signing was a waste of money - jacobystealshome - 01-18-2012

"They still need to sign Oswalt to have a solid No. 1 "

oswalt is barely a number 4, probably a number 5

and if yu darvish is treated with the american arrogance that befalls every asian pitcher, then yes, he will fail (hey, dont follow your pitching routine and training program that has worked for you for years, do it our way. **flash forward 2 years later** oh gee, our asian pitcher got hurt. it must be because asian pitchers cant handle the big leagues)

the problem isnt Japanese pitchers not being good enough. the problem is fitting square pegs into round holes

RE: That signing was a waste of money - benner73 - 01-18-2012

(01-18-2012, 05:15 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: "They still need to sign Oswalt to have a solid No. 1 "

oswalt is barely a number 4, probably a number 5

Your way off on that. Oswalt is a number 4 or 5? Not a chance.

RE: That signing was a waste of money - lobos1974 - 01-18-2012

I think you are way off base on this one. Darvish may not end up being worth the money, but lets wait and see. He is unlike most of the pitchers from Japan. Keep in mind that he is 6'5" or 6'6" and has nine pitches he can throw for strikes. In total, they ended up paying a little more than they would have for CJ and got a guy 7 years younger and with better talent. With extra cash from 2 World Series appearances and a new TV deal, it's worth the gamble on what could end up being a top 5 pitcher in the big leagues. I also don't buy the arguement that he has only faced Japanese batters. Who else was he going to face pitching in Japan? Let's at least wait and see before declaring him a bust.

RE: That signing was a waste of money - crazyforkinsler5 - 01-18-2012

Yes Oswalt is a No. 4 or 5 in Philly where they have the 3 best, or near the best, pitchers in the game in Doc, C Lee and Hamels.

Oswalt is better than anything Texas has, except for maybe Holland. But none of Texas' pitchers have won big games (DS, CS, WS). That's where we missed Cliff Lee last season. He could win the big game, just didn't have anyone else that could.
(01-18-2012, 05:23 PM)lobos1974 Wrote: I think you are way off base on this one. Darvish may not end up being worth the money, but lets wait and see. He is unlike most of the pitchers from Japan. Keep in mind that he is 6'5" or 6'6" and has nine pitches he can throw for strikes. In total, they ended up paying a little more than they would have for CJ and got a guy 7 years younger and with better talent. With extra cash from 2 World Series appearances and a new TV deal, it's worth the gamble on what could end up being a top 5 pitcher in the big leagues. I also don't buy the arguement that he has only faced Japanese batters. Who else was he going to face pitching in Japan? Let's at least wait and see before declaring him a bust.

I didn't declare he was a bust. I just don't think he's worth $111 million over 6 years which is what he costs.

RE: That signing was a waste of money - clarkzac - 01-18-2012

Yeah you can look back at former Japanese pitchers, and most think of Daisuke right away. Darvish is better than Daisuke and even though Daisuke hasn't been healthy or as good as everybody said he would be, he's still been a decent major league pitcher when healthy. I can see Darvish getting roughed up a few times this year, but I can see him possibly contending for a Cy Young award in 2-3 years.

RE: That signing was a waste of money - jacobystealshome - 01-18-2012

(01-18-2012, 05:20 PM)benner73 Wrote: Your way off on that. Oswalt is a number 4 or 5? Not a chance.

In the AL, he is a 4 or 5, period. also, injuries and age have caught up to him

RE: That signing was a waste of money - Sajman01 - 01-18-2012

You need good players in order to compete. Not signing because he's overpriced is accepting failure. They needed pitching to compete with the Angels and Red Sox (Sorry Yankee fans, you're done).

I liked the signing.

RE: That signing was a waste of money - clarkzac - 01-18-2012

(01-18-2012, 06:03 PM)Sajman01 Wrote: You need good players in order to compete. Not signing because he's overpriced is accepting failure. They needed pitching to compete with the Angels and Red Sox (Sorry Yankee fans, you're done).

I liked the signing.

I don't see how you can say the Yankees are done. They just acquired Michael Pineda and now have a solid 1-2 punch at the top of their rotation. Heck, AJ Burnett will have to compete to maitain a spot in the rotation

RE: That signing was a waste of money - jdberia - 01-18-2012

(01-18-2012, 06:08 PM)clarkzac Wrote: I don't see how you can say the Yankees are done. They just acquired Michael Pineda and now have a solid 1-2 punch at the top of their rotation. Heck, AJ Burnett will have to compete to maitain a spot in the rotation

I wish they would have gotten rid of Burnett a few years ago!

My question on Darvish is this: Did he have a First Bowman card a few years back? and Will a lot of people be chasing his cards this year?