Beckett Message Boards
larry bird/magic rc reprint - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: larry bird/magic rc reprint (/thread-1475365.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: larry bird/magic rc reprint - filamuraireborn - 01-20-2012

(01-20-2012, 11:34 AM)dboutte Wrote: Even thought these cards say "reprint" I still have to believe this is <b>copy right infringement,</b> and if it's not, it's really lame nonetheless.

Definitely! Although, I heard/read about ebay policies is that reprint cards are allowed to be sold only if you say that you are selling them as a reprint of the original. If you do not, then that would definitely be in violation of the copyright.

By the way, can you show some scans/pictures of your 1980 Bird/Erving/Magic RC? How did you acquire this card?

RE: larry bird/magic rc reprint - dboutte - 01-21-2012

(01-20-2012, 07:55 PM)filamuraireborn Wrote: Definitely! Although, I heard/read about ebay policies is that reprint cards are allowed to be sold only if you say that you are selling them as a reprint of the original. If you do not, then that would definitely be in violation of the copyright.

By the way, can you show some scans/pictures of your 1980 Bird/Erving/Magic RC? How did you acquire this card?

Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I would say with some certainty that topps still maintains all rights to their products all the way back to the 50's, regardless of ebay's acceptance of people selling bullsh*t. Obviously the company has better things to do than stop small sellers from making reprints. Like I said before, it just sucks that people are even making these, it pollutes the trade/hobby.

I'll definitely upload some scans of the card in the morning (I went out and had a few beers with the lady and don't want to risk bumbling a scan and damaging the card).

I acquired it about 7 or 8 years ago through a trade for some late 70's and early 80's baseball cards that I had as a kid. The guy was kind of shady and it made me wonder if it was a fake, but I basically have the complete 80-81 set (minus a few other bird and magic cards) and compared it to them and I'm quite certain it original.

And as someone suggested in the thread, I generally buy graded cards when it comes to high end rc's...I've been trying to complete my '69 topps set and just got a psa 7 Alcindor in a few days ago( I'll throw a scan of that up aswell just to show a comparison for the reprint that was mentioned).

RE: larry bird/magic rc reprint - filamuraireborn - 01-21-2012

(01-21-2012, 12:02 AM)dboutte Wrote: Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I would say with some certainty that topps still maintains all rights to their products all the way back to the 50's, regardless of ebay's acceptance of people selling bullsh*t. Obviously the company has better things to do than stop small sellers from making reprints. Like I said before, it just sucks that people are even making these, it pollutes the trade/hobby.

I'll definitely upload some scans of the card in the morning (I went out and had a few beers with the lady and don't want to risk bumbling a scan and damaging the card).

I acquired it about 7 or 8 years ago through a trade for some late 70's and early 80's baseball cards that I had as a kid. The guy was kind of shady and it made me wonder if it was a fake, but I basically have the complete 80-81 set (minus a few other bird and magic cards) and compared it to them and I'm quite certain it original.

And as someone suggested in the thread, I generally buy graded cards when it comes to high end rc's...I've been trying to complete my '69 topps set and just got a psa 7 Alcindor in a few days ago( I'll throw a scan of that up aswell just to show a comparison for the reprint that was mentioned).

I like what you said about the reprints polluting the trade/hobby. I can understand this when it comes to an individual person and card manufacturer reprinting popular and high-end cards. This excludes the legit reprints like 1996-97 Topps Finest Reprints #22 Larry Bird|Julius Erving|Magic Johnson and the likes.

RE: larry bird/magic rc reprint - dboutte - 01-21-2012

Here are the scans. I didn't take the Bird/Magic out of the holder so it may look a little fuzzy, and I just realized my scanner blows, oh well.

[Image: cardfront.jpg]

[Image: cardback.jpg]

RE: larry bird/magic rc reprint - filamuraireborn - 01-21-2012

Looks good! Smile