Beckett Message Boards
Selling Cards for the Newbie - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Selling Cards for the Newbie (/thread-1473959.html)

Pages: 1 2

Selling Cards for the Newbie - choleka - 01-10-2012

I just got back into collecting cards this past year and have put together a nice little collection, but it is getting to be a bit much, and I would like to wean my collection down to my favorite cards, and try to get a little bit of my money back at the same time to help me continue this hobby.

I was wondering what is the best way to start selling my cards. My plan was to start auctioning them on ebay with a "Buy Now" option and start the auction at a high enough price that I wouldn't just be basically giving the cards away.

Does anyone have any advise for me as to the best way of going about selling my cards?

I was also wondering what is the best way to determine the value of cards that Beckett doesn't give pricing for (basically #'d to 10 and less) I just pulled a Crown Royale Wayne Chrebet Living Legend Auto 1/10 yesterday and am just curious. I also have a printing plate which is of course 1/1, and a Daniel Thomas Rising Rookies NFL Shield Auto/Red Parallel 5/5.

Any help is very much appreciated.

RE: Selling Cards for the Newbie - branesergen - 01-10-2012

If you come up with a price for Daniel Thomas Rising Rookies NFL Shield Auto/Red Parallel 5/5. I may be interested. I just got the Red numbered to 15 for $13.51 delivered so that should give you an idea.

RE: Selling Cards for the Newbie - crazyforkinsler5 - 01-10-2012

(01-10-2012, 12:15 PM)choleka Wrote: I just got back into collecting cards this past year and have put together a nice little collection, but it is getting to be a bit much, and I would like to wean my collection down to my favorite cards, and try to get a little bit of my money back at the same time to help me continue this hobby.

I was wondering what is the best way to start selling my cards. My plan was to start auctioning them on ebay with a "Buy Now" option and start the auction at a high enough price that I wouldn't just be basically giving the cards away.

Does anyone have any advise for me as to the best way of going about selling my cards?

I was also wondering what is the best way to determine the value of cards that Beckett doesn't give pricing for (basically #'d to 10 and less) I just pulled a Crown Royale Wayne Chrebet Living Legend Auto 1/10 yesterday and am just curious. I also have a printing plate which is of course 1/1, and a Daniel Thomas Rising Rookies NFL Shield Auto/Red Parallel 5/5.

Any help is very much appreciated.

There is a collector on these boards that is a Daniel Thomas super collector and might be interested in that card.

As for selling, I sell most of mine over there on fleabay. People on beckett will not part with their money. I've tried listing star JSY and insert cards at 20% and they want to haggle me down from that. When I tell them I'm not interested in going any lower, they'll say something like they were looking to buy for around 10%. WTH is that about?

So, it's tough to sell on here. I just bought some cards on the old Naxcom site (not sure of what it is now) so you may try there. There's other sites as well besides fleabay. Good luck.

(01-10-2012, 12:18 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: There is a collector on these boards that is a Daniel Thomas super collector and might be interested in that card.

Much appreciated! Big Grin

RE: Selling Cards for the Newbie - choleka - 01-10-2012

Thanks Crazy!

Brane - I am really torn on how much and if I want to get rid of the Daniel Thomas. If you make me a good offer I might. I watched Daniel Thomas a lot when he was with K-State and was a big fan of his, so this card is among my favorites.

RE: Selling Cards for the Newbie - dmasci - 01-10-2012

I would try ebay, and if you go with the buy it now, the worst that can happen is it doesn't sell and you are out the .50 insertion fee. That said, if you really want to sell the card you have to compete with the other people selling the same card on ebay...regardless of what the Beckett listing says...cause that's not reality anymore.

RE: Selling Cards for the Newbie - superynaldo - 01-10-2012

(01-10-2012, 12:18 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: There is a collector on these boards that is a Daniel Thomas super collector and might be interested in that card.

As for selling, I sell most of mine over there on fleabay. People on beckett will not part with their money. I've tried listing star JSY and insert cards at 20% and they want to haggle me down from that. When I tell them I'm not interested in going any lower, they'll say something like they were looking to buy for around 10%. WTH is that about?

So, it's tough to sell on here. I just bought some cards on the old Naxcom site (not sure of what it is now) so you may try there. There's other sites as well besides fleabay. Good luck.

you say tough to sell here??? I say IMPOSSIBLE...

RE: Selling Cards for the Newbie - choleka - 01-10-2012

(01-10-2012, 01:11 PM)dmasci Wrote: I would try ebay, and if you go with the buy it now, the worst that can happen is it doesn't sell and you are out the .50 insertion fee. That said, if you really want to sell the card you have to compete with the other people selling the same card on ebay...regardless of what the Beckett listing says...cause that's not reality anymore.

Thanks. I think that is my best bet. I am not too concerned with not selling the cards in the end, I am just running out of things to do with my cards, and it doesn't seem worth having cards that I don't care about too much pretty much sitting in a drawer that someone else would appreciate more.

My other option is giving them to the guy that owns the card store that I go to that has an established ebay account and would probably have better luck getting bids than I would and give him a portion of the highest bid.

If you're not leaving the hobby and only want to get rid of cards you dont want you can also try trading. There are a lot of good members here and have tons of stuff to offer. Would be a great chance at getting some other cards you want. Especially if you're a player or team collector.

RE: Selling Cards for the Newbie - dmasci - 01-10-2012

(01-10-2012, 01:47 PM)branesergen Wrote: If you're not leaving the hobby and only want to get rid of cards you dont want you can also try trading. There are a lot of good members here and have tons of stuff to offer. Would be a great chance at getting some other cards you want. Especially if you're a player or team collector.

Any tips on how to begin trading here? Do I need to set up a photobucket account so I can put pictures in there of what I have to trade or is there a way to do it on this site? Thanks