Beckett Message Boards
It's my wife's birthday. So, I'm eating alone and opening wax... - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+---- Forum: Box Breaks (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-7.html)
+---- Thread: It's my wife's birthday. So, I'm eating alone and opening wax... (/thread-1449983.html)

It's my wife's birthday. So, I'm eating alone and opening wax... - crazyforkinsler5 - 07-26-2011

It's my wife's birthday today, so she got invited out by her grandmother for lunch.

So, that means I'm on my own. I went to Wal-Mart to buy her a card and noticed they had new packs of 2011 Topps Football in. So, I bought 6 of those and 1 of 2009 Bowman. I'll be opening them throughout my lunch hour when I take a break from biting.

When on to Mickey Ds and got my customary salad that I eat when I'm by myself. So, I'll be opening cards in the next few minutes and posting pack by pack how I did.

On a side note, when I was checking out at Wal-Mart the lady was like Oh I see you still collect. She said they have a guy come in every few days and was just in yesterday. He told her he knew exactly which packs had the "good cards". She said yeah right, so he took her over and showed her.

She said he was feeling on the packs, sliding them up and down, etc. and when he opened the packs, the "special" cards were right there.

I told her that's called pack-searching and it's highly, highly frowned upon by other collectors. I said those people pick out the really good packs with the nice patch, JSy, whatever cards and don't have to spend the extra money to get them. The get exactly the packs with the best cards.

She said she doesn't blame him for doing it and it shouldn't be frowned upon. She said if it would help her save money, she's all for it and she has no problem with him doing it.

Anyway, on to my packs...

1.) 2009 Bowman
Ramses Barden Gold RC;
RCs of Mark Sanchez, Nate Davis, Brad Lester, Worrell Williams and Jeremy Childs. Nice looking Sanchez, but nothing else really.

BTW, does anyone know if they're doing the Sparkle SPs in Topps football like they did in baseball? Anyway, back to opening...

2.) 2011 Topps Pack 1: Kendall Hunter RC, Curtis Brown RC (two guys from close to the Dallas area), Dion Lewis RC, Game Day insert of Nnamdi Asomugha and Super Bowl Legends insert of Terry Bradshaw;

3.) 2011 Topps Pack 2: Toppstown Torrey Smith (Ravens), Faces of the Franchise Matt Ryan/Roddy White and RCs of Alex Green and Ricky Stanzi;

4.) 2011 Topps Pack 3: Bowman Blue parallel Mike Leshoure, Steven Jackson Mini, RCs of Stephen Paea, Dontay Moch and Rob Housler. BTW, got 3 Cowboys (F. Jones, Ware and Witten) in this pack.

My thoughts so far through 3 packs...like baseball you get lots of inserts. Probably not going to bring a lot of bang for the buck on the secondary market. RCs are decent. It helps getting 2 RCs of guys that live close to where I do. But it's disappointing because a lot of them so far don't feature the RCs in their pro uniforms like we're so accustomed to seeing with Topps.

5.) 2011 Topps Pack 4: RCs of Von Miller (in Broncos uniform), Christian Ponder (in Vikings uniform) and Anthony Constanzo. Also got a Toppstown insert of Ponder and a Faces of the Franchise of Josh Freeman/Mike Williams;

6.) 2011 Topps Pack 5: RCs of Bileal Powell and James Carpenter and a code card featuring Joe Montana (if it's like baseball, it's probably some 1990 Topps 5 cent common). BTW, I also got a card of James Starks and he's in the very cool throwback uniforms.

7.) 2011 Topps Pack 6: RCs of Marcell Dareus, Mark Ingram (in Saints uniform) and Nathan Enderle as well as a Topps mini card of Dustin Keller.

That's all for the break. I will post a scan or 2 later. I really enjoyed this break. It's the first time I've written about it as it happens. I know it wasn't much, but it was still cool.

LMK if you're interested in any of them. They're not in the database right now, but I'll be moving some of them when they are. Thanks again.

RE: It's my wife's birthday. So, I'm eating alone and opening wax... - jncdrew - 07-26-2011

Way to celebrate the misses b-day! You have some set of cajones on ya buddy~! Smile

RE: It's my wife's birthday. So, I'm eating alone and opening wax... - monsterx - 07-26-2011

Sounds like a blast! Smile

RE: It's my wife's birthday. So, I'm eating alone and opening wax... - crazyforkinsler5 - 07-26-2011

(07-26-2011, 04:10 PM)jncdrew Wrote: Way to celebrate the misses b-day! You have some set of cajones on ya buddy~! Smile

Well, she got invited out and I didn't. Her grandmother wanted to take her to lunch by herself, so that left me to fend for my own. So, that's how I did it.

RE: It's my wife's birthday. So, I'm eating alone and opening wax... - usafshelland - 07-26-2011

My LCS' here in Hawaii don't care that people "feel up" the packs to determine what's in them... so I don't think it's as uncommon as it may seem.

RE: It's my wife's birthday. So, I'm eating alone and opening wax... - adidasking417 - 07-26-2011

Shoot, my LCS in Dallas has a sign up that says you'll be shot if caught feeling packs...seriously lol

RE: It's my wife's birthday. So, I'm eating alone and opening wax... - bgillett86 - 07-27-2011

My lcs keeps all singles packs behind the counter from the last 3 years lol so I don't have to worry about searchers. The wal-mart story is the #1 reason I don't buy from big box retailers anymore. I can live with the hits being few and far between, but I just don't trust other people. Unless I watch a stocker open a new product, I will not buy from wal-mart or target; same reason I don't buy single packs off of ebay either. I just don't trust people.