Beckett Message Boards
ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) (/thread-318882.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - tigerfan25 - 05-21-2008

well i have had a couple that stand out to me the first being enos slaughter. I met him in cooperstown where they were only charging 20 bucks for his auto and there was nobody in line. @0 bucks how do you pass up a hofer auto for 20 bucks. anyway he seemed so happy i was there he got up came around the table took 3 pics with me (even asked me if i wanted him to take his teeth out) and a pic with my gf. he was a class act and a great guy. The otehr was harmon killebrew he was just as gracious and took a few pics and spent a few mintues chatting and seemed to really be happy to be there with all the fans.

The worst ever was willie mays not only does he charge 125 a pop but like osmeone else said you hand your item to a guy who hands it to willie who hands it to another guy who hands it to you. to make matters worse while waiting in line one of willie's people came out and said if anyone takes a picture willie would leave and there would be no refunds. imagine that.

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - goblue6919 - 05-21-2008

yankeefan1988 Wrote:Best-
Ripken; talked to him for a good 10 minutes and signed about 3 things for me and even personalized
Tim Raines; Also had another nice conversation with him, asked how his son was doing :lol:
Although not baseball, another nice player is hall of famer dominique wilkins. He'll sign whatever you have for him to autograph.

Worst-
J.B. Cox; he's a jerk and he won't sign autographs on a card because "it's against his contract"

Really? He signed for me a couple weeks ago. He didn't seem particularly nice but he wasn't a jerk.

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - iowacubbies - 05-21-2008

Randy Wells
Scott Moore
Daryle Ward

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - skorris - 05-21-2008

Best I've met: Kyle Lohse, Ryan Ludwick.

Worst I've met: Haven't really met any jerks. P.J. Walters was a little snappy, but I think that's because I was the only person in his line. lol.

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - jebjja - 05-21-2008

The Best: Stan "The Man" Musial- this guy is first class all the way. I even sent him a picture of him and me to his Stan The Man company from when I met him when I was 12 at that show and 21 years later he signed the picture and also sent me an additional two free autographs on Hall of Fame cards. Super guy...Ted Williams-1987- I met him at a show in Atlantic City. He was coming out of the elevator, and I had a Yankees cap and shirt on. My dad asked if he would pose for a picture, he joked and said "If your son removes his cap I will"...he laughed...and posed with his arm around me and we chatted for a few minutes. I cherish that picture.
Jose Canseco-1988- he was at a show and he signed my ball. I had his Fleer RC in my hand as well and I walked off and he called me back over and signed the card for free. Gordie Howe at the National in 1997 was great and we talked and he shook my hand. Brooks Robinson and Bobby Thompson were great also.

The Worst: Hank Aaron 1988- was at a show and my dad was taking some pictures for the promoter so he can hang them up in his store and I went and stood behind Hank and he said- what's this kid doing behind me.....Will Clark- arrogant but he signed with his typical pout face he always has. Barry Bonds- this guy couldn't even get on HIS team's bus in Philly and had a driver for a BMW. We were told to leave Mr. Bonds alone. Well, the day earlier, he charged the mound so I guess he hated Philly. This is when he first came to the Giants,,,,,

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - scotty21690 - 05-21-2008

Johnny Pesky, Fred Lynn, Jim Rice, Mike Timlin

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - melo15nuggets - 05-21-2008

I just started attending minor league games regularly this year, and I have only had great experiences with the players I have met. Kevin Ahrens signed whatever anybody handed to him. He also talked with me while he was signing. Justin Jackson is a great guy as well. After the game, he was just standing in front of the stadium talking and signing for anyone who wanted. When I handed him my Bowman Chrome card to sign, he accidentally dropped my card and the wind started carrying it across the parking lot. I told him don't worry, but he chased it down and signed it. He was very apologetic about dropping it and thanked me for being a fan. Mike Moustakas was a great signer as well. He chatted with me while signing my Tristar card. My brother got to meet Mat Latos while he was clocking pitches in the stands. Latos thought that it was cool that someone actually recognized him, and was more than happy to sign a ball for him.

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - Mets finish over .500 - 05-21-2008

Robin Roberts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friend of mine did a show 4-5 years ago, he asked me to pickup the athletes from the airport and drive them to their hotel. I picked up Roberts and his agent at the airport. They where hungery and asked if I minded stopping somewhere for a bite (of course not!). We ate then went to the hotel, it was playoff time and Roberts invited me up to thier room to watch the games and hang out. He told stories the whole time and was a great guy. The next day he asked me to pick him up before the show and go get breakfest. I will always remeber that weekend and the great time I had hanging with a hall of famer.

On the flip side, not to talk bad about the deceased, but Tug McGraw did the same show and could not have been a bigger Egomaniac. He just acted like everyone was below him and that we should be honored to be in his presence.

I also got about 10 balls and 3 bats signed by Roberts for free. Tug wanted money even though I was giving him a ride, I said thanks but no thanks.

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - KillerBeeFan - 05-21-2008

Master Shake (Shake Zula The Mic Rulah) Wrote:Nicest:

Hunter Pence (Signs for EVERYONE. I've never seen anyone sign as much for fans as Hunter Pence does)
Not Nice:

Lance Berkman (Not very fan friendly. Usually walks out with his head down and won't even acknowledge anyone. After the ST games he catches a ride with the grounds crew on their carts through center field so he can avoid the fans. When you do get him to sign which in my experience is pretty rare he normally won't say anything to you and will only sign for maybe 5 people before he jets off.)
Roy Oswalt (I've heard people disagree about Oswalt but from my experience I've never seen him sign an autograph for anyone whose asked and always walks with his head down to avoid the fans.)

Couldn't agree more about Hunter - He's a great signer.

Lance signed for my son once in Cincinatti and was really nice - we had a banner saying "Lance - we'll trade some gum for an auto" and as soon as he saw it, he walked right over, chatted for a few minutes, signed a couple of ballsa nd my son's cap. He chose Bubblicious over Bazooka by the way.

Roy signed a lot his rookie year and has signed a few times for us since. I think it helps that we are always one of the few Astros fans at an away park.

Finally I always thought Biggio did a great job of signing for you if you were less than 10 years old. He obviously knew people wanted him to sign, but he only really ever signed extensively for kids and I have no problem with that.

Phil

ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - catscratchfever - 05-21-2008

Johnny Unitas was a first class gentleman and an absolute pleasure to meet.