Beckett Message Boards
Fun card of the day - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Fun card of the day (/thread-1578250.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/13 - rmpaq5 - 10-13-2015

Great idea Djohn, keep 'em coming!

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/14 - djohn - 10-14-2015

Today's card is from a set made by Comic Images in 1995. The set is called "Phil Rizzuto's Baseball - The National Pastime", however Beckett simply lists the cards as 1995 Comic Images. This set was done on Chromium stock (think Topps Chrome before Topps Chrome came into existence). Back in the early to mid 90s, chromium cards were a new fad and a lot of the small card companies were using it to make their cards standout and seem more desirable. Chromium was incredibly popular with comic cards and Classic used it as well on some inserts for their sports cards. The funny thing about this set is that it is all vintage players and pictures, and a lot of people didn't like the look of these on the chromium cards. That being said, these packs had a chase card, a Phil Rizzuto autograph with only 1,000 made, which is still a low cost Rizzuto autograph. However that is not the card for today. Looking through some of the cards in this set, I found one that stood out more than others, as it just made me laugh when I saw it. Today's card is #38 in the 1995 Comic Images set. I hope you enjoy it.

[Image: front.jpg]
[Image: back.jpg]

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/14 - djohn - 10-15-2015

I had to go out of town for work and didn't get a chance until now to add today's card of the day. Today's card is from a not well known factory set of team cards from Sportflics, the 1987 Sportflics Team Previews set. These cards came as factory sets and highlighted 8 players for each of the MLB teams. These cards are cool because you get the fun Sportflics technology of the time with so many players from the same team. What makes today's card extra special is that it was the first MLB card of Tom Glavine. Technically it is not a rookie because it's a team card, but he is on it and is listed on the back. His face is clearly seen in the bottom right corner in the image below.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/14 - alfredoleal2001 - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 08:55 PM)djohn Wrote: I had to go out of town for work and didn't get a chance until now to add today's card of the day. Today's card is from a not well known factory set of team cards from Sportflics, the 1987 Sportflics Team Previews set. These cards came as factory sets and highlighted 8 players for each of the MLB teams. These cards are cool because you get the fun Sportflics technology of the time with so many players from the same team. What makes today's card extra special is that it was the first MLB card of Tom Glavine. Technically it is not a rookie because it's a team card, but he is on it and is listed on the back. His face is clearly seen in the bottom right corner in the image below.

Wow i didnt know that!!! I have the expos one

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/14 - nolan5000 - 10-16-2015

(10-15-2015, 11:11 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Wow i didnt know that!!! I have the expos one

I have the Astros one, which includes, surprise surprise, Nolan Ryan. Actually I have 2 and they're both Beckett Graded 9.5.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/15 - djohn - 10-17-2015

My computer crashed yesterday so I wasn't able to post this then. The 1990 Little Big Leaguers set was put out as a complete set in a magazine specifically about MLB players when they were little leaguers. Sometimes you will see the cards with perfectly straight edges, which simply means someone trimmed them carefully since the cards were all on sheets with perforated edges (as can be seen in the picture below). There is also a football version of the set for those that want to check more into it. I selected the Jose Canseco card because he looks like he was beefed up even in little league.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/17 - zeprock - 10-17-2015

Cool stuff! I have the complete set of the 192 Topps Kids. An ironic precursor to the steroid era. Players such as Bonds and Clemens and many others are depicted with overly muscular bodies and huge heads.

I love the oddball stuff. I have a lot of the Griffey, Jackson and Ryan Comic Ball cards and the Little Big Leaguers too, and I have a Rizzuto from the Comic Images set but unfortunately it's not autographed.

RE: Fun card of the day - jonathani - 10-17-2015

(10-13-2015, 09:45 AM)djohn Wrote: [Image: s-l1600.jpg]
[Image: Andre-Dawson.jpg?id=d35176d2-cf98-4163-a...&side=back]

I love Dawson as a Cubbie!

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/17 - djohn - 10-17-2015

(10-17-2015, 12:24 PM)zeprock Wrote: Cool stuff! I have the complete set of the 1992 Topps Kids. An ironic precursor to the steroid era. Players such as Bonds and Clemens and many others are depicted with overly muscular bodies and huge heads.
Almost all the players were depicted overly muscular, which just goes to show what Topps thought kids considered the players looked like at the time.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/17 - woogie23 - 10-17-2015

(10-17-2015, 03:32 PM)djohn Wrote: Almost all the players were depicted overly muscular, which just goes to show what Topps thought kids considered the players looked like at the time.

I wonder how round Bartolo Colon would look on one of those cartoon cards? heh