Beckett Message Boards
I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! (/thread-1495634.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! - Vols-1 - 04-11-2012

(04-11-2012, 09:59 AM)dpatera Wrote: Don't they still charge you, even if they return the card ungraded due to counterfeiting?

But if it is returned ungraded then people will not submit anymore cards. And some people have 100's of counterfeit to send in. The more they grade the more cards are sent in.

RE: I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! - bonds20001 - 04-11-2012

(04-11-2012, 01:11 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: But if it is returned ungraded then people will not submit anymore cards. And some people have 100's of counterfeit to send in. The more they grade the more cards are sent in.

So, PSA knowlingly grades counterfeit cards? Do they grade as counterfeit?

(04-11-2012, 01:21 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: So, PSA knowlingly grades counterfeit cards? Do they grade as counterfeit?

Yes, I emailed both BGS and PSA three times about graded counterfeits that came from bigboyd. And as you can see from the picture, anyone can spot the difference in seconds if they wanted to.

RE: I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! - bonds20001 - 04-11-2012

(04-11-2012, 01:31 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: Yes, I emailed both BGS and PSA three times about graded counterfeits that came from bigboyd. And as you can see from the picture, anyone can spot the difference in seconds if they wanted to.

If they know they are counterfeits and grade them, then the entire system is out of control. Why would anyone use them, or any of them??
Or is it just that it is common place to produce, get grade and sell counterfeit cards..
I am really missing out on some serious $$ here..

RE: I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! - djohn - 04-11-2012

Wow that really sucks. I didn't know much about that card until I read the link you gave. Now I am going to be even more diligent about checking for fakes when buying graded cards, as a lot of times I assume that the top graders have weeded out the fakes (I guess not).

RE: I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! - dpatera - 04-11-2012

(04-11-2012, 04:14 PM)djohn Wrote: Wow that really sucks. I didn't know much about that card until I read the link you gave. Now I am going to be even more diligent about checking for fakes when buying graded cards, as a lot of times I assume that the top graders have weeded out the fakes (I guess not).

Someone should point it out to the grading company. Do they have a policy when a major like this is discovered? This is one of the main reasons they exist...

RE: I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! - sonnyday - 04-11-2012

PSA has stated the case has been compromised and is evidenced by the frost line that appears on the lower right side of the case.

(04-11-2012, 06:12 PM)dpatera Wrote: Someone should point it out to the grading company. Do they have a policy when a major like this is discovered? This is one of the main reasons they exist...

I think it only applies to the submitter, so if the card has traded hands then you maybe out of luck.

"If PSA, in fact, concludes that the card in question no longer merits the PSA grade assigned or fails our authenticity standards, PSA will - Buy the card from the submitter at the current market value if the card can no longer receive a numerical grade under PSA's standards."

RE: I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! - diablo71 - 04-12-2012

All I can say is wow. That sucks. Can't trust anything in the hobby anymore

RE: I think someone got bamboozled on this Ripken! - bonds20001 - 04-12-2012

(04-11-2012, 06:21 PM)sonnyday Wrote: PSA has stated the case has been compromised and is evidenced by the frost line that appears on the lower right side of the case.

As I thought..someone broke out the case and placed a fake card..so PSA says.
Now we are talking fraud, mail fraud and larceny..
Buyer should start legal proceedings?
Wow!!..what a web we weave....