Beckett Message Boards
ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) (/thread-318882.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - norcalcollectibles - 12-09-2011

Nicest is a tie:Willie Mays/Brooks Robinson
Biggest prick is a clear winner: Rickey Henderson

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - chipper4president - 12-09-2011

(12-09-2011, 06:16 PM)sparty78 Wrote: Worst of all time Pete Rose , total ***hole. Actually discourage other young players from signing after game. Jerk.

I actually had a good experience with Rose. I was late for a signing when I lived in Washington State and missed out on getting him. As I was getting back into my car he came out to leave. He ended up signing two balls for free and chatting for a minute. Anyway, I thought it was nice that he took the time out for me (particularly after just finishing a paid event where he probably signed tons).

He would definitely be at the top of my list along with Harmon Killebrew and Bob Feller. I was fortunate to have breakfast with them at a USO military event. Both told tons of stories and were really pleasant down to earth guys. Feller was a Chief in WWII so most of his stories revolved around his Navy experiences. It was kind of like swapping sea stories with your grandpa. Defintely a great time and both will be missed.

My worst isn't baseball. Warren Moon was a total tool when I saw him.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - tdog4468 - 12-09-2011

to the op-- Love the thread.

Best: Craig Biggio/Jeff Bagwell (ya got to get them together its one joke after the other), Brian MCCann, Gaby Sanchez, Jose Cruz Sr, Tony Pena, Duke Snider, Gary Gaitti, Bobby Abreu.

Poor: Tom Seaver

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - ringers1993 - 12-10-2011

(12-08-2011, 08:45 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: Jack Morris is a complete A******. George Kell and Bob Feller were both great to talk to.

You can add Kirk Gibson with Jack Morris both guys complete jerks

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - trotbay744 - 12-10-2011

Nicest players I have met:
Jed Lowrie, Brandon Moss, Phil Plantier, and Tim Naehring.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - sonnyday - 12-11-2011

Nicest: Joe Carter, Bob Feller, Victor Martinez, Jim Thome, Mel Harder and two most suprisingly nicest Mike Tyson and John Rocker!!

Worst: Randy Macho Man Savage.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - krykslr - 12-11-2011

Nicest:
Nick Swisher....signed a box full of balls for a baseball instructional group i was in during high school...my instructor played w/ him at Ohio State but he volunteered to sign and didn't get anything out of it at all....just wanted to do it.

Assholes:
George Foster....he came down and did some "community outreach" at my little brothers little league organization....basically threw out a first pitch, refused to chat with anyone, kid or adult, who approached him....took pictures with kids because he was obligated but refused to smile for them. Signed autographs but asked everyone what their intentions were with them. Basically wanted to get the attention and look like he was doing good while being a total jerk to everyone. It sure looked nice in the newspaper though...he must have smiled for the news photographer.

Adam Dunn, and most of the players on the team when he played there (except Sean Casey)....I was probably in the 7th Grade when I went to a Reds game and got seats a few rows back from the dugout so I could get autos before the game. Myself and my brother who was probably in the third grade at the time stood out waiting and everyone ignored us or acknowledged us in a rude manner. Adam Dunn took the assholery to a new level when people asked and he said "No, I'm not signing your f***ing balls." and walked off. Way to use nice language when there are hoards of kids around. The only player who bothered to interact with anyone was Sean Casey and he signed for prob 15-20 people before he had to leave. I've never liked the Reds since.
I was just thinking....for the people who are so worried about everyone's intentions with their autos....all you would have to do would be to ask their name and sign it "To ___".....it's tough to sell a ball reading "To Mark" to someone named John.....keeps your stuff off of eBay and makes you look like a nice guy for inscribing rather than a jerk for playing 20 questions with everyone.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - therattboy - 12-11-2011

um, krykslr, i don't think you can use that kind of language on these boards. Just a friendly reminder :/

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - newtmcknz - 12-11-2011

Despite his horrible reputation, my brother and I both got Milton Bradley's autograph earlier this year at spring training. I don't know if he was just in a good mood at the time, but he was very friendly with the fans that day. Kind of felt bad that his season ended the way it did.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - sonnyday - 12-11-2011

(05-21-2008, 05:30 PM)dylan1227 Wrote: Why? Omar is a great guy and always signed at the Stadium and when my sis worked at WalMart and he signed there a few times he signed a ton for me no problem.

Must of been an off day for Omar, he is really a nice and always happy guy. I have so much signed from him, even a empty jar of Omar Vizquel Salsa.