Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why Do People Do This On Redemptions?

Why Do People Do This On Redemptions?
Friends,

Something I've wondered about for years ...

When you're looking online at cards for sale (eBay specifically) ... and someone has an autograph redemption card for sale ... they will handwrite the name of the player's team on the redemption card.

I mean, it just looks lame.

(No offense to anyone that does this. But, I mean, it does.)

I have a few auto cards that I kept the redemption cards with as momentos, and also to certify "original ownership" direct from the factory.

Meaning, I don't want some random person's sloppy, crappy looking handwriting on it.

If two of these cards are for sale at the same price, I'm always going to buy the one that's not scribbled on - so note to sellers who do this, they may actually be costing themselves money.

RE: Why Do People Do This On Redemptions?
In the old days, Panini's redemption just had the card number - not who the player is - I know that some people did write the names of hte players on redemptions back then - but that is no longer the case.

In fact, I have a used redemption card right here that lists the sport (Football), program (2020 Donruss), the Card Set (Elite Series Rookies Autographs), the Card Number (16), and the Player (Chase Young). That seems to be plenty of information to me.

(01-14-2022, 04:26 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Friends,

Something I've wondered about for years ...

When you're looking online at cards for sale (eBay specifically) ... and someone has an autograph redemption card for sale ... they will handwrite the name of the player's team on the redemption card.

I mean, it just looks lame.

(No offense to anyone that does this. But, I mean, it does.)

I have a few auto cards that I kept the redemption cards with as momentos, and also to certify "original ownership" direct from the factory.

Meaning, I don't want some random person's sloppy, crappy looking handwriting on it.

If two of these cards are for sale at the same price, I'm always going to buy the one that's not scribbled on - so note to sellers who do this, they may actually be costing themselves money.
RJ, those are most likely from group box breaks.  The breaker will write the name of the team on the redemption card to make sure it goes to the proper person that owns that team in the break.  I have seen it done hundreds of times.

(01-14-2022, 05:44 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: RJ, those are most likely from group box breaks.  The breaker will write the name of the team on the redemption card to make sure it goes to the proper person that owns that team in the break.  I have seen it done hundreds of times.

This. Seen it done a lot.
''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

(01-14-2022, 05:44 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: RJ, those are most likely from group box breaks.  The breaker will write the name of the team on the redemption card to make sure it goes to the proper person that owns that team in the break.  I have seen it done hundreds of times.
But they’re up for bid on eBay as a single card … so not part of a break.

Unless the person that got it in the break then put it up for sale after receiving it from the breaker?

Either way … lame.

(01-14-2022, 05:41 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: In the old days, Panini's redemption just had the card number - not who the player is - I know that some people did write the names of hte players on redemptions back then - but that is no longer the case.

In fact, I have a used redemption card right here that lists the sport (Football), program (2020 Donruss), the Card Set (Elite Series Rookies Autographs), the Card  Number (16), and the Player (Chase Young).  That seems to be plenty of information to me.
Agreed.

(01-15-2022, 12:54 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: But they’re up for bid on eBay as a single card … so not part of a break.

Unless the person that got it in the break then put it up for sale after receiving it from the breaker?

Either way … lame.
That's exactly what happened. They got the card in a group break and are selling it rather than redeeming it. Pretty normal. Not sure what's lame about it. It's basically industry standard for breakers to do that to ensure the right person gets the right card. It's just good practice. You are the first person I've seen complain about it. Most people just care about the card they get, not the used redemption. I mean, up until recently, you mailed in the redemption anyway. Heck I had to mail one in the other day because it wasn't working online. Either way, I don't think it's lame and neither do most people. I think you're in the minority here.

When selling, I always include the redemption card with the card sold., and therefore never deface the card. Never know when someone may want it as part of the cards -provenance(?) Topps redemptions are pretty cool IMO. Since I have never had to get a redemption from a break, I was not aware of the practice of writing on the redemption card. With this being a "industry standard" - I'd be a little ticked off that someone wrote on my card. Why not put a sticky on the card? Anyway, you can tell that I do not do many breaks. Thanks for the information provided in this threads conversation.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(01-15-2022, 09:09 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: When selling, I always include the redemption card with the card sold., and therefore never deface the card.  Never know when someone may want it as part of the cards -provenance(?)  Topps redemptions are pretty cool IMO.  Since I have never had to get a redemption from a break, I was not aware of the practice  of writing on the redemption card.  With this being a "industry standard" - I'd be a little ticked off that someone wrote on my card. Why not put a sticky on the card?  Anyway, you can tell that I do not do many breaks.  Thanks for the information provided in this threads conversation.
Agreed, I would never buy a redemption card with some schlub’s sloppy scribbles on it.

Would much rather have a clean copy.

(01-17-2022, 01:29 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Agreed, I would never buy a redemption card with some schlub’s sloppy scribbles on it.

Would much rather have a clean copy.
You two crack me up!   All the things going on in the hobby and de-faced redemptions are a problem...

Do you also have a closet full of empty hobby boxes?  LOL