`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What did Cal Ripken do wrong?

What did Cal Ripken do wrong?
Does anybody know why or possibly why all of his cards took a drop in value today?

RE: What did Cal Ripken do wrong?
hmmm interesting. Only Orioles news I've seen is the left field wall going to be farther out and higher.

Seems really odd his values would suddenly drop in 2022 when he hasn't play for over 20 years! So, I thought maybe some scandal occurred that I did not see.

17,373 of his cards have no change
4,630 are down (starting in 1993)
1 is up (rather significantly)

Maybe an era-related correction??

which one is up?

(01-14-2022, 04:31 PM)ashlandmark Wrote: which one is up?
2021 Topps Five Star Autographs #FSACRD Cal Ripken Jr.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

(01-14-2022, 03:47 PM)jmhorn Wrote: 17,373 of his cards have no change
4,630 are down (starting in 1993)
1 is up (rather significantly)

Maybe an era-related correction??
If it is an era-related correction, then is Kirby Puckett and Mike Piazza next to go down?

I'd be curious to see if there was a significant hike in the last 1 1/2-2 years where it seems everything went up.  Might just be things coming back to earth.

In regards to the other two players you mentioned, I wouldn't doubt they come back down soon as well though probably slower as Ripken was the bigger name so their rise/fall is likely smaller.

(01-14-2022, 06:11 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I'd be curious to see if there was a significant hike in the last 1 1/2-2 years where it seems everything went up.  Might just be things coming back to earth.

In regards to the other two players you mentioned, I wouldn't doubt they come back down soon as well though probably slower as Ripken was the bigger name so their rise/fall is likely smaller.
No, Ripken cards have not changed in my collection for many years now.  The only retired player I collect that jumped last few years is Griffey Jr.

I'd guess Beckett is just correcting really old values they haven't changed in years. I regularly notice that Beckett prices from the 90s and 00s have clearly not been updated in many years. For instance Mark McGwire is still the most valuable insert listed in most 90s insert sets and Griffey is way down the list. So I bet they are going back and updating very old prices and just happened to do Ripken's all at once.