`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021-22 MVP Blaster - one and done on this

2021-22 MVP Blaster - one and done on this
Went into WalMart in the next town over last night, and was surprised to see they had some cards - under lock and key in a cabinet.

(Remember when I called that over a year ago?)

Anyway, super inconvenient to have to stand in the customer service line to get a manager to come unlock it for me.

(Thanks, DBN, you've been so great for the hobby ... in so many ways)

They had exactly one blaster of the new MVP hockey product left, so I had to grab it due to the Last Blaster Rule.

I was beyond disappointed to pull a whopping two rookies and like five mascot cards.

I also noticed something weird - at the top of the base cards, some teams were listed by their team names with a little copyright circle ("Rangers"), while some were listed by their city name, without a copyright circle ("San Jose").

Odd. Anyway, I'm sure the philosophy behind this product was to appeal to kids, but a 5:2 mascot to rookie card ratio is not enough for me to buy any more of it.

One more positive thing to end on - the corners are sharp again after Upper Deck experimented with round corners on basically all of their products last year.

RE: 2021-22 MVP Blaster - one and done on this
The should put all mascots in a MVM set so we can avoid them easier. The Most Valuable Mascot set.

(01-06-2022, 01:36 PM)ashlandmark Wrote: The should put all mascots in a MVM set so we can avoid them easier. The Most Valuable Mascot set.
I mean, I'm always up for innovation and trying new things - and trying to keep/get kids into the hobby is never a bad thing - but I think Upper Deck missed the mark on this one as far as collation.

If it was the other way around (five rookies, two mascots) I could live with it, but now the odds of pulling any good rookie are very low out of one blaster - especially for a low end product - I'm just going to move on.

Look at it this way - Young Guns, which are much more valuable singles than MVP RCs, usually fall 1:4 packs.

Unless I got a really bad draw, the MVP RCs in my blaster fell at 1:7.5 packs.

No thanks.

One positive thing I forgot to mention (and will update the original post) - the corners are sharp again after Upper Deck experimented with round corners on basically all of their products last year.

(01-06-2022, 01:50 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I mean, I'm always up for innovation and trying new things - and trying to keep/get kids into the hobby is never a bad thing - but I think Upper Deck missed the mark on this one as far as collation.

If it was the other way around (five rookies, two mascots) I could live with it, but now the odds of pulling any good rookie are very low out of one blaster - especially for a low end product - I'm just going to move on.

Look at it this way - Young Guns, which are much more valuable singles than MVP RCs, usually fall 1:4 packs.

Unless I got a really bad draw, the MVP RCs in my blaster fell at 1:7.5 packs.

No thanks,

One positive thing I forgot to mention (and will update the original post) - the corners are sharp again after Upper Deck experimented with round corners on basically all of their products last year.
Who were the rookies at least? I just saw some at my Target and decided against it. Mostly because I just spent a little too much on singles last night. I just looked at the checklist and there are more RCs that I would be interested in than I thought- Knight, Swayman, Zegras, Caulfield, Byfield come to mind

(01-06-2022, 02:39 PM)mcb0419 Wrote: Who were the rookies at least? I just saw some at my Target and decided against it. Mostly because I just spent a little too much on singles last night. I just looked at the checklist and there are more RCs that I would be interested in than I thought- Knight, Swayman, Zegras, Caulfield, Byfield come to mind
It was none of the big names. I'd have to look.

Usually with blasters, even if the rookies are one per pack, out of the 6-8 packs they normally have you almost always get at least one good rookie card.

Not even close with this, I was very disappointed.

But, you know, cool mascot cards, they remind me of Pokemon.

Did you at least get a Gritty mascot card? That would be cool, and people in Philadelphia who aren't even hockey fans love him so that might well have some value

(01-06-2022, 05:14 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: Did you at least get a Gritty mascot card?  That would be cool, and people in Philadelphia who aren't even hockey fans love him so that might well have some value
I’d have to look, that’s not ringing a bell.

They have Allure, MVP and Pro Set hockey at our WalMarts. They sit there a good while since this isn't really a hockey town.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

(01-08-2022, 03:16 PM)dogger99 Wrote: They have Allure, MVP and Pro Set hockey at our WalMarts.  They sit there a good while since this isn't really a hockey town.
I also got one of the Pro Set “blasters” … it’s a 10-card set that comes in a little plastic box … the game-used card is the last one in the plastic box.

I got Teemu Selanne, one of my favorites as a kid, and he’s in a Sharks uniform so it also fits one of my PCs.

After I pulled the card I looked him up on Wiki and was very surprised to see how high up he was in the record books.

Definitely happy to walk away from this one.

(01-08-2022, 10:10 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I also got one of the Pro Set “blasters” … it’s a 10-card set that comes in a little plastic box … the game-used card is the last one in the plastic box.

I got Teemu Selanne, one of my favorites as a kid, and he’s in a Sharks uniform so it also fits one of my PCs.

After I pulled the card I looked him up on Wiki and was very surprised to see how high up he was in the record books.

Definitely happy to walk away from this one.
I got one of the Pro Set sets - game used was Luc Robitaille - guessing that you wouldn't have been as happy with that one as a Sharks fan