`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.77 Average
Zeprock Collection

RE: Zeprock Collection
HOFer Don Drysdale was an intimidating pitcher who pitched his entire career with the Dodgers. The "Big D" teamed with Sandy Koufax to form a formidable 1 - 2 punch at the top of the Dodgers rotation for several years and holds the MLB record of pitching 6 consecutive shutouts tallying 58 and two-thirds innings in 1968. I only have 85 Beckett recognized unique cards of Don. Here are nine cards from my Drysdale collection, eight vintage and one featuring a piece of his pants.

1958 Topps #25 Don Drysdale
1959 Topps #387 Don Drysdale
1960 Topps #475 Don Drysdale

1960 Topps #570 Don Drysdale AS
1961 Topps #260 Don Drysdale
1962 Topps #340 Don Drysdale
(Way to mix it up Topps.

1965 Topps #260 Don Drysdale
1967 Topps #55 Don Drysdale
(Look! Topps finally used something other than a head shot on Don's base card.)
2005 Sweet Spot Classic Materials #CMDD Don Drysdale Pants

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Don not forget Don had a formidable career as a Hollywood Actor. During a spring training holdout , Don Hit Hollywood and afterwards he got lots of gigs, playing himself at first, but eventually getting cast in roles, most famously in the TV show Greatest American Hero
... sorry I cannot use quotations, yet Sad
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(03-23-2020, 10:39 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Don not forget Don had a formidable career as a Hollywood Actor. During a spring training holdout , Don Hit Hollywood and afterwards he got lots of gigs, playing himself at first, but eventually getting cast in roles, most famously in the TV show Greatest American Hero
... sorry I cannot use quotations, yet Sad
I remember he was on The Brady Bunch - Playing himself

Most of us are familiar with the fantastic artwork of Diamond Kings and Topps Gallery. The artwork on these cards is not like those. Here are nine baseball cards from my collection that truly put the "odd" into "oddball".

1966 Weird-Ohs Baseball Cards #1 Doug Out (Produced by Fleer, the back informs us that Doug is 101 years old and has been sitting in the dugout for 99 of those years. He literally lives in the dugout as that's where his bed and all his personal belongings are. He's never played enough to be picked to do the razor blade commercials so he's grown his beard so he'll be ready when his big chance comes. Here he's depicted in a 75 inning game where he's been called in as a pinch runner. As you can see, all of his teammates are passed out. Here his manager is pointing out where first base is because Doug forgot.)
1983 Wacky At-Bats #87 Hot Dog Hamduster (Produced by Confex, these "Fun Stuff" cards have a "Wacky At-Bats" game you can play on the back. Mr. Hamduster's short bio informs us that a gang of steamed up players, fed up with his constant showing off, tied him up and tossed him into an abandoned mustard factory. Hence - "former shortstop".)
1985 Baseball Greats Caricatures #7 Mickey Mantle (Beckett doesn't acknowledge them but I have the complete set of 10 of these cards that feature some of the greatest players of all-time including, among others, Ted Williams, DiMaggio, Musial, Feller, Spahn and Mays. This one depicts The Mick.)

1988 Awesome All-Stars #28A Ted The Intimidator (This set of sticker cards featuring monsters and weirdos on the ball field was produced by Donruss. Each card comes in two variations, one with a bio and the other with a puzzle back. This one has the bio which reads, "No base has ever been stolen with Ted covering. He can literally intimidate a baserunner into running backwards around the bases. He plays baseball to support his toothpaste needs.")
1990 Sunkist Fun Fruits Wacky Players #7 Sneaky Pete (These caricature cards were issued in specially marked boxes of Sunkist Fun Fruits Wacky Players Assorted Real Fruit Snacks and drawn by MAD magazine artist Mort Drucker. There are also football and basketball sets but for some reason Beckett only recognizes the football set. The reverse informs us that Sneaky Pete can steal bases in the blink of an eye, leaving no traces and sometimes no bases. He studies voice projection (ARod?) in his spare time to force pitchers to throw to the wrong base. He once vanished completely while stealing third and reappeared crossing the plate. His 1989 season stats for 162 games shows that he stole second base 483 times, third base 320 times and home 189 times. An added stat of bases he never gave back is 593. Rickey Henderson, watch your back!)
1992 Baseball Enquirer #17 A father and son playing on a team (I have this complete 64 card set also produced by Confex/Fun Stuff. The backsides have a mock question and answer session with the unnamed featured player. Most all of the players in the set are recognizable. This one lives in my Ken Griffey Jr. collection although it doesn't mention his name anywhere on the card. The interview on the back refers to him playing with his Dad. He's holding a picture of his granddad who he wants his team to also sign.)

1992 Flopps #2 Wade Bugs (This five card set parodies MLB players Boggs, Bonds, Griffey Jr., Henderson and Lance Parrish. I keep this card in my Boggs collection. The reverse tells us that Wade was in such a hurry to play ball that he had ants in his pants as well as spiders, ticks and lice. Known as the "Slimey Slugger" he's also a great fielder and his trick for catching so many flies is not to shower.)
1993 Cardtoons #42 Greg Maddogs (I have this complete set of 115 unlicensed cards that also parody MLB players. Here's one from my Greg Maddux collection. The reverse of this card lists ten reasons to why so many dogs enjoy baseball. Some of them are that they like to take walks, many of the pitchers are south-paws, the seasons last through the dog days of summer, there are hot dogs in the stands and on the field and no one minds if you chase the cat-chers.)
2006 Hero Decks Playing Cards St. Louis Baseball Heroes #13D Stan Musial (These playing cards put out by Hero Decks come in 52-card decks each featuring a different city. When I found my first Boston set in a Borders bookstore in Bangor, Maine back in 2005, it came with a card for a free deck if I just paid the $4.99 shipping cost. I sent it in and ordered the New York Yankees set and it also came with a card for a free deck. This started a chain reaction and I picked up sets of Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore, Cleveland and Chicago and so on until I finally received a deck that didn't have the "free deck" card. They have updated their sets throughout the years replacing certain players, for example, Mookie Betts is in the current Boston set but not in the first Boston set issued back in 2005 or follow up sets I have from 2008 and 2013. You can still buy these as well as other sports and non-sports from their website although I've noticed some sets have disappeared, for example, no more Pittsburgh.)
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

The last player that came up on the randomizer that I collect was Don Drysdale. Next up is his teammate for much of his career, Duke Snider. Elected to the Hall of Fame in 1980, "The Duke of Flatbush" helped lead the Dodgers to six World Series throughout his career with victories in 1955 and 1959. He was an eight time all-star and a MVP. After his playing days he did radio play-by-play and like Drysdale, ventured into a bit of acting. Did you know he owned a 60 acre avocado farm in LA? I currently have 275 different Beckett recognized cards of Snider. Here are nine from my collection including some vintage, a couple of autos and a relic.

1956 Topps #150 Duke Snider
1957 Topps #170 Duke Snider
1958 Topps #88 Duke Snider

1959 Topps #20 Duke Snider
1960 Topps #493 Duke Snider
1962 Topps #500 Duke Snider

1987 Hygrade All-Time Greats #88 Duke Snider Autographed (In person autograph, not obtained by me.)
1994 Nabisco All-Star Autographs #4 Duke Snider (I ate a lot of Ritz Crackers in 1994 until I had enough UPC codes to send away for the entire set of these autographed cards.)
2005 Sweet Spot Classic Materials #CMSN Duke Snider Pants

As I work my way up through the years posting my cards, I've moved out of the 50's and into the next decade. Here are nine cards that I have from 1960 including first cards of two of my all-time favorite players.

1960 Topps #148 Carl Yastrzemski RS RC
1960 Topps #200 Willie Mays

1960 Topps #300 Hank Aaron
1960 Topps #316 Willie McCovey ASR RC

1960 Topps #326 Roberto Clemente
1960 Topps #343 Sandy Koufax

1960 Topps #350 Mickey Mantle
1960 Topps #563 Mickey Mantle AS
1960 Topps #564 Willie Mays AS

Next up from my player collections is the "Say Hey Kid". It's debatable, but in my opinion Willie Mays was the greatest MLB player ever. A Rookie of the Year, 20 time All-star, two time MVP, a batting champion that led his league in both home runs and stolen bases four times each. Throw in a World Championship and a dozen Gold Gloves and he's compiled a pretty convincing resume and I haven't even mentioned his stats. I currently have 459 different Beckett recognized cards of Willie with two more in transit. Here's nine items from my Willie Mays collection including some vintage subset cards, some vintage food issues and a bat card.

1958 Topps #486 Willie Mays AS
1959 Topps #464 Willie Mays BT/Catch
1959 Topps #563 Willie Mays AS

1961 Post #145B Willie Mays BOX (Don't you miss the days when they printed baseball cards on the back of your cereal box?)
1962 Post #142 Willie Mays
1962 Topps #395 Willie Mays AS

1963 Salada Junket Coins #22 Willie Mays (This coin came in a Salada Tea and Junket Pudding package.)
1971 Kellogg's #10 Willie Mays (This one came out of a cereal box. Back in the day a box of cereal cost about a buck. A great investment if you hung onto the cards included inside.)
2001 Upper Deck Hall of Famers Game Bat #BWM Willie Mays DP

Really nice Mark, thanks for sharing. Those Salada, Kelloggs, and Post cards were so much fun back in the day. I can't tell you how many boxes my brother and I dumped out onto the kitchen table to get to the cards. The cereal didn't really matter.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

(03-31-2020, 08:21 AM)cweiland Wrote: Really nice Mark, thanks for sharing. Those Salada, Kelloggs, and Post cards were so much fun back in the day. I can't tell you how many boxes my brother and I dumped out onto the kitchen table to get to the cards. The cereal didn't really matter.
Same with my brother and me Caryn although I was much more enthused about them than he was. My Mom would let me pick out the cereal at the grocery store and the next morning, my hand was headed down through the cereal towards the bottom of the box feeling for that little prize.

(03-31-2020, 05:50 AM)zeprock Wrote: Next up from my player collections is the "Say Hey Kid". It's debatable, but in my opinion Willie Mays was the greatest MLB player ever. A Rookie of the Year, 20 time All-star, two time MVP, a batting champion that led his league in both home runs and stolen bases four times each. Throw in a World Championship and a dozen Gold Gloves and he's compiled a pretty convincing resume and I haven't even mentioned his stats.
Totally agree, and being a Yankee fan, that is a hard truth to admit. During the heyday of baseball, the Say Hey Kid played centerfield in a town with 2 other legendary centerfielders, The Mick and The Duke of Flatbush. But one thing ALWAYS set Willie way ahead of them in my book... the other guys did not have to play centerfield or hit in The Polo Grounds. Any baseball fan knows just how cavernous Centerfield of The Polo Grounds was and how nobody else in the world could successfully patrol that pasture ... except Mays. Sure Mickey had some impressive ground to cover and obstacles to avoid, but nothing like straightaway at the Polo Grounds. Duke played in what was described as a bandbox, and when the Dodgers moved west to LA Olympic Stadium his stats showed a decline... but they always mention his age, I am convinced it was the Stadium dimensions. When Willie moved west, he only got better and better.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.