`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Happy New Year! Time for new resolutions!

Happy New Year! Time for new resolutions!
I can't believe I missed a couple years, I couldn't find threads anywhere, so I must have forgotten? Anyways, we are back on track heading into the new decade! What are your collecting goals this year?

My goals:
Hit 36 Super Bowl MVP cards (at 26 right now). Why 36? It will fill my display case Smile
Add 8 Patented Penmanship 2016 PrIzm cards. I'm at 12/40. Crazy hard to find! And pricey!
1 Aaron Rodgers/Jordy Nelson Autograph card
Finish the 2019 Prizm Draft Pick badger rainbows
Continue picking up rare J.J Watt, Burfict, Kuhn, and Johnathan Franklin cards.
And figure out the picture sharing deal!!!! lol.

What do you guys want to accomplish?

RE: Happy New Year! Time for new resolutions!
You've got a good list there! No set building, but pretty good Smile. For me, here's what I'm looking to do:

1. Complete 1996 Finest set (1 card away)
2. Add 10-15 more 1999 Finest Gold Refractors, 1+ Prominent Figures, and 1+ Team Finest Red/Gold Refractor
3. Complete 3 base Finest sets from 2001-2009
4. Complete 1 full base Finest set (including SPs) from 2001-2009
5. Scan 1995 base set for my website
6. Setup pages for 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2007 for my website
7. Complete another Finest Refractor set
8. Complete 2010 Finest Xfractor set (4 cards away)

(01-03-2020, 09:38 AM)jplarson Wrote: You've got a good list there! No set building, but pretty good Smile. For me, here's what I'm looking to do:

1. Complete 1996 Finest set (1 card away)
2. Add 10-15 more 1999 Finest Gold Refractors, 1+ Prominent Figures, and 1+ Team Finest Red/Gold Refractor
Haha, set building isn't really my thing, though I do have 2 years of Topps Valor base sets in process. I should try finishing those too Smile
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Are those refractors hard to find? How about the Prominent Figures?

(01-03-2020, 02:33 PM)savagenate Wrote: Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Are those refractors hard to find? How about the Prominent Figures?
Prominent Figures are very difficult now. The 60 card set is broken down into 6 groups of 10. The cards are serial numbered out of NFL records at the time for single season passing, rushing, and receiving yardage, and passing, rushing, and receiving TDs.

Refractors are fairly easy to pick up off of sportlots or comc, though Brady makes it really pricy to do. For harder to find ones I'll cast my net deeper into eBay or even Beckett's marketplace, though shipping costs and stagnant pricing (respectively) keep me away from those usually. Ebay is the best choice for harder to find cards though.

I guess mine would be to be more selective about what I buy on the retail side and realize that I don't need "every" RC of the main guys every year.

I was actually doing really well with that this past year overall until my father-in-law got sick with brain cancer this fall.

I slipped into some old habits and am now stuck with a bunch of cards nobody wants.

So I'm looking forward to getting back to enjoying the occasional jumbo or blaster rather than the $100+ blowouts.

(01-07-2020, 05:30 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I guess mine would be to be more selective about what I buy on the retail side and realize that I don't need "every" RC of the main guys every year.

I was actually doing really well with that this past year overall until my father-in-law got sick with brain cancer this fall.

I slipped into some old habits and am now stuck with a bunch of cards nobody wants.

So I'm looking forward to getting back to enjoying the occasional jumbo or blaster rather than the $100+ blowouts.
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law! It's tough to avoid opening boxes...it's dang fun! Even though it's usually crap lol. I've seen some crazy cards come out of blasters and jumbo packs this year though. None personally, but people I know...so who knows!

So here it is! End of the year. How did you all do?

Here's mine:
1.Aimed for 36 Super Bowl MVP cards for the end of the year. Got: 35, so not too shabby!
2.For some reason I lied about how any Patented Penmanship cards I had. I added only 1 this year, bringing my to a total of 11/40. The prices on these cards have just been too much.
3. Add a Rodgers/Nelson auto. This I did! Got an absolute steal!
4. Finish the Badger Rainbows- Epic fail! Again for some reason, prices were nuts and super hard to find!
5. Add rare Watt, Kuhn, and Burfict cards- I added a couple Burfict plates, and some really nice Watt rainbow stuff!
6. Figure out the picture thing- Flickr has been working so far, so mission accomplished I guess!

Sound off!

(01-07-2020, 05:30 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I guess mine would be to be more selective about what I buy on the retail side
Loog-at-dis-guy, being selective at retail lol! MUST BE NICE TO FIND SO MUCH RETAIL YOU CAN BE CHOOSY Smile Smile

(12-31-2020, 12:25 PM)savagenate Wrote: So here it is! End of the year. How did you all do?

Here's mine:
1.Aimed for 36 Super Bowl MVP cards for the end of the year. Got: 35, so not too shabby!
2.For some reason I lied about how any Patented Penmanship cards I had. I added only 1 this year, bringing my to a total of 11/40. The prices on these cards have just been too much.
3. Add a Rodgers/Nelson auto. This I did! Got an absolute steal!
4. Finish the Badger Rainbows- Epic fail! Again for some reason, prices were nuts and super hard to find!
5. Add rare Watt, Kuhn, and Burfict cards- I added a couple Burfict plates, and some really nice Watt rainbow stuff!
6. Figure out the picture thing- Flickr has been working so far, so mission accomplished I guess!

Sound off!
Congrats on 1, 3, 5, and 6! I'll need to double check my stuff to see where I landed. Pretty sure I got the Gold Refractors.

Same as ever year, buy more Brunell cards.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

(01-03-2020, 09:38 AM)jplarson Wrote: 1. Complete 1996 Finest set (1 card away)
1. Completed! http://jplarson.com/finest/1996/base/index.html
2. Since 08/03/2019 I've added 25 Gold Refractors. No Prominent Figures but did add an Elway Team Finest Gold Refractor.
3. 7 base sets complete - 2002-04, 06-09.
4. 2002 full set 6 cards away from being complete.
5. Set scan complete - http://jplarson.com/finest/1995/base/index.html
6. Mostly done.
7. 2014 Finest Refractor set complete.
8. Oh yeah! Brady, Tebow, and Gronk were the last to fall. http://jplarson.com/finest/2010/xfractors/index.html