`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What in the holy silver prizm...

What in the holy silver prizm...
If you haven't seen it, I'll post the link for you and you can hate me later. Few months ago this dude starts a YouTube channel called The Sports Card Investor. Every episode opens with this epic music and this dude doing a voice-over that says "By day I invest in companies. But at night, I invest in sports cards". Short version, he's a hype-beast. He's also got a FB page.

So he's been going on and on about "investing" in Panini Prizm. To say the least, it's gotten out of control. His FB page is just littered with pictures that people took of them carrying entire display boxes of prizm to the checkout line. All with one purpose...get and flip a Zion Silver RC.

I got bored last night and wondered what these things are selling for on eBay. Roughly $800 plus. WT....Then add in that I happened to be at walmart last night and I decide to take a gander at the cards section to see if any of these were at my local walmart. Well, they were. I passed a guy with a card with god knows how many blasters of 19/20 Prizm. When I get to the cards, the display piece is there, but every single box is gone. Apparently into that guys cart.

Was it like this when LBJ was a rookie? Morant, Barrett...ebay prices not even CLOSE. And Morant is playing amazing and Zion is hurt.

RE: What in the holy silver prizm...
If you mean were the prices this high then no. But back then you had both Upper Deck and Topps doing basketball products. Panini had stickers. To me these prices for Zion are insane and cannot be sustained. My LCS is saying that Prizm Basketball will be 400$ per box! When it comes out next week! I would also use Target online to pick up a Mega Box of Prizm because those are going for about 80-100 on eBay.

It's beyond ridiculous.

Yes, full disclosure, I collect Zion, and have pulled a few of his Hoops and Prizm Draft cards out of retail.

No mem, no autos, no parallels other than the three red Prizms I pulled out of the one draft mega box.

He is obviously an entertaining player to watch, no doubt.

But every year there's a rookie that everyone chases, and for some reason he is on a much higher level than Luka, Ben Simmons, Karl-Anthony Towns, etc., i.e. any of the other chase cards of the last few drafts.

The problem is, people are literally making up insane prices on eBay right now.

The first yay-hoo that pulled a Zion silver prizm listed it for $2,500 ... I mean, come on.

You can get an entire case of a nice product for that much.

Like LeBron, he was a known commodity even in high school and had a pretty high profile year in college, so people have been waiting a while for his stuff.

To put these ridiculous prices in perspective, I once pulled LeBron's SP Authentic RC - signed and numbered to 500 - and that was an $800 card at the time of its release.

The problem is, it's going to be very hard to Zion to live up to the hype.

Let's say he comes back by Christmas, stays healthy, averages 20 and 10 and dunks a lot on SportsCenter, and the Pelicans miss the playoffs.

OK, great, so he's Blake Griffin circa 2009.

Has anyone purposely bought a Blake Griffin card in the last five years?

But, worst case scenario ... he's Greg Oden. Great college player, force of nature when he's healthy, but just can't stay healthy, and eventually washes out.

Either way, these prices will cool off, guaranteed.

I sure as hell wouldn't buy singles, I know that.

You're saying Prizm retail is already out? The NBA product, not the NCAA product?

It's not supposed to drop until December 4.

It would appear so. I have watched a break recently of a blaster so yes its out at Target so far.

I just checked the most recently listed Zion silvers on the bay, and this is cracking me up.

The more that get listed the lower the BIN price goes ... the most current one is $550.

Waaaaay down from the original yay-hoo asking $2,500.

"Oh man, $550, that's a steal!!!"

For a non-auto card.

But you can get the retail jersey card for the low-low price of $99.

Give me a break.

(11-27-2019, 03:43 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I just checked the most recently listed Zion silvers on the bay, and this is cracking me up.

The more that get listed the lower the BIN price goes ... the most current one is $550.

Waaaaay down from the original yay-hoo asking $2,500.

"Oh man, $550, that's a steal!!!"

For a non-auto card.

But you can get the retail jersey card for the low-low price of $99.

Give me a break.
Retail is out. Blasters are $19.99. Then hangers are 17.99. Double pack with 3 red, white and blue parallels are 9.99 (I think, didn't look at the price on these).

A buddy of mine said "no way is the sports card investor driving this hype". Go look at The Sports Card Investor FB page. It's literally post after post after post of people buying the entire stock at one time and taking pictures of it. It's crazy.

IF you can find it, it's out...the NBA jersey version. Hobby is 12/4 and Panini is doing a weird FOTL Premium thingie where the price starts at $1,000 for a BOX and slowly goes down in price every two minutes. The Walmart next to me is sold out every single time I check.

https://www.paniniamerica.net/1st-off-th...cards.html

This is the link to the $1,000 box promo. You're guaranteed 4 silver prizms per box. But the base set is 300 cards so the odds on getting the exact prizm we know everyone wants (Zion) is still 1/300 every time a prizm gets pulled. Not great odds for a thousand bucks.