Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Pat Tillman Cards?

New Pat Tillman Cards?
Friends,

So I noticed that for the first time since his 2001 RCs were released, there are new Pat Tillman cards in 2019 Panini Certified and Donruss.

I bring this up because I don't know how to feel about this.

Full disclosure ... I was a student at USC when Tillman was at Arizona State. He and Jake Plummer kicked our a--es a couple of times, so I was a fan of his as a football player long before his Army enlistment and what not.

Despite purging about 98 percent of my collection last summer, I kept his 2001 Upper Deck MVP RC.

So I don't know how to feel about the fact that he has new cards.

Originally, because of my new reality of my almost non-existent card budget, I was going to stay away from 2019 Donruss, but now that he's in that product I am tempted to try to pick up a blaster or two to try to pull one.

But then I circle back to this - is it appropriate for Panini to include new cards of him, i.e. in some way profiting off of his notoriety and extremely unique story and untimely death?

After all, I would be feeding right into what they're trying to do ... selling more football cards ... seeing as how he would be the only player I would be buying the product for.

I'm throwing this out there because I really don't know how to feel - obviously it's just football cards and there are much larger problems in the world.

I guess I would feel better if Panini was donating 1/250th of the profits (Tillman's portion of the base set) to Wounded Warriors or something like that.

Maybe I'll just try to trade for one and then I don't have to feel guilty, LOL

RE: New Pat Tillman Cards?
(07-25-2019, 10:36 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: is it appropriate for Panini to include new cards of him, i.e. in some way profiting off of his notoriety and extremely unique story and untimely death?
Nationalism is en vogue right now, makes sense that Panini wants to capitalize on that. I wrote a whole bunch more stuff but it was getting WAY too snarky and political so I'll leave it as this. Of course Panini is gonna profit off of him.

(07-25-2019, 12:00 PM)jplarson Wrote: Nationalism is en vogue right now, makes sense that Panini wants to capitalize on that. I wrote a whole bunch more stuff but it was getting WAY too snarky and political so I'll leave it as this. Of course Panini is gonna profit off of him.
And that's where I'm stuck ... if I don't buy the product, I can't pull the player.

I'm ok with it I think. He's a guy I would love to have cards of. Though you're right, I would prefer to collect cards from before his death. It's definitely a marketing ploy, but those of us tired of Kaepernick antics would love a red blooded American to collect! Just the thoughts off the top of my head. I'd stick to buying singles and trading though. I wouldn't buy boxes/packs.

(07-26-2019, 10:16 AM)savagenate Wrote: I'm ok with it I think. He's a guy I would love to have cards of. Though you're right, I would prefer to collect cards from before his death. It's definitely a marketing ploy, but those of us tired of Kaepernick antics would love a red blooded American to collect! Just the thoughts off the top of my head. I'd stick to buying singles and trading though. I wouldn't buy boxes/packs.
Yep, I'm leaning toward the trade/secondary market.

It's so tempting though, he hasn't had any new cards in 18 years!

(07-26-2019, 10:41 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yep, I'm leaning toward the trade/secondary market.

It's so tempting though, he hasn't had any new cards in 18 years!
I know! I was disappointed he hasn't had any...Going to have to add those cards to my list now lol. They'll probably be in high demand!

I am opening up 6 jumbo packs tonight. Will let you know if I get any PT.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

(07-27-2019, 09:54 AM)savagenate Wrote: I know! I was disappointed he hasn't had any...Going to have to add those cards to my list now lol. They'll probably be in high demand!
Indeed.
(07-27-2019, 04:32 PM)dogger99 Wrote: I am opening up 6 jumbo packs tonight. Will let you know if I get any PT.
Thank you and good luck!

(07-25-2019, 12:00 PM)jplarson Wrote: Nationalism is en vogue right now, makes sense that Panini wants to capitalize on that. I wrote a whole bunch more stuff but it was getting WAY too snarky and political so I'll leave it as this. Of course Panini is gonna profit off of him.
Agreed. Especially since now days there are so many versions of a 1/1, /5, /10 etc..
Wants:
2006 Bowman Sterling Red Refractors #RB1 JSY Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 SP Authentic Rookie Autographed NFL Logo Patches #252 JSY AU Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 Topps Red Hot Rookies Autographs #RB Reggie Bush/10

(07-29-2019, 12:13 PM)pudge27t Wrote: Agreed. Especially since now days there are so many versions of a 1/1, /5, /10 etc..
I don't really buy hobby (or much of anything anymore), but would definitely try to trade for these types of cards if I didn't feel such a moral dilemma about it.

I just contacted Panini about the whole thing, so if I get a reply I'll share it.