`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a Press Pass replacement?

Is there a Press Pass replacement?
I'm totally psyched about the upcoming draft class that could potentially include Zion, Barrett, Reddish, Hachimura, Morant, and a few others.

I feel like this could be a class like the '84 (Hakeem, Jordan, Barkley, Stockton), '96 (Kobe, Iverson, Ray Allen, Nash), and '03 ones (LeBron, Carmelo, Bosh, Wade).

Sooooooo, is there a company that has taken the torch up from Press Pass? I looked at Leaf and it doesn't seem like they produce college/prospect cards. I don't think TriStar makes those cards (or even makes cards at all anymore???). SAGE? Is Panini the only game in town for this stuff?

Thanks for your time!
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Is there a Press Pass replacement?
Yep, they do Contenders draft, it releases late September/early October.

(03-25-2019, 01:13 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yep, they do Contenders draft, it releases late September/early October.
How is that compared to Press Pass was in terms of style/content? I've seen it for other years before, but never bought any.

(03-25-2019, 01:27 PM)hempick Wrote: How is that compared to Press Pass was in terms of style/content? I've seen it for other years before, but never bought any.
I can only speak for retail, as I've never bought hobby, but it's a fun break.

There's like 5 or 6 cards per pack, most are veterans, and the Draft Day Tickets are like the rookie cards ... they come 2 or 3 per blaster.

There is also a School Colors insert with the rookies, so you end up getting a rookie in every pack just about.

You also get an auto, although I've never pulled a good one.

I bought exactly one blaster of this last year ... was hoping for Marvin Bagley for my Kings PC and pulled his Draft Day Ticket "RC," so I was pretty stoked.

My auto was Justin Tillman, who was with the G-League team in Memphis back in January.

But, like I said, it's a fun break - also, the card stock quality is really good and glossy, unlike the chippy Press Pass stuff.

Oh hmm, I always kind of liked the thin card stock that Press Pass used. It seemed fitting since they are non-professional players on the cards (or at least are supposed to be non-professional).

You say there are veterans in the product? It isn't solely devoted to rookies/pre-rookies, huh?

(03-25-2019, 08:38 PM)hempick Wrote: Oh hmm, I always kind of liked the thin card stock that Press Pass used. It seemed fitting since they are non-professional players on the cards (or at least are supposed to be non-professional).

You say there are veterans in the product? It isn't solely devoted to rookies/pre-rookies, huh?
It's veterans and then roughly one rookie "ticket" or "school colors" rookie per pack.

The "tickets" are considered the "RCs" because they have the stats on the back, whereas the school colors just have a paragraph about the player.

(03-27-2019, 09:56 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: It's veterans and then roughly one rookie "ticket" or "school colors" rookie per pack.

The "tickets" are considered the "RCs" because they have the stats on the back, whereas the school colors just have a paragraph about the player.
So there is no product that is just draft picks? :'(

(03-28-2019, 08:53 AM)hempick Wrote: So there is no product that is just draft picks? :'(
Not that I know of.

Odd. Did no one buy the rights to use the Press Pass name? Upper Deck bought the rights to the Fleer name. Panini bought the rights to Donruss/Playoff and a few others. Weird that no one picked up Press Pass.

(03-28-2019, 09:56 PM)hempick Wrote: Odd. Did no one buy the rights to use the Press Pass name? Upper Deck bought the rights to the Fleer name. Panini bought the rights to Donruss/Playoff and a few others. Weird that no one picked up Press Pass.
I guess between the Panini draft stuff, the Leaf draft stuff and the SAGE draft stuff in football, nobody wanted to take up a fourth football draft set in order to have the rights to a basketball draft set.

Although, there is still a market opportunity for basketball and racing if someone wanted to rekindle the name just for those and leave football out of it.

I'm with you, I always enjoyed Press Pass ... it was great for USC stuff when the Trojans were really good back in the Pete Carroll/Reggie Bush days.